Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Had we picked 2nd OA in that draft we would've landed Laine. 6th instead of 7th in Nurse's year we could've had Monahan, etc. I want as high of a pick as possible, it will help the team whether we have the same or a new GM. You can't preach moral victories to a team that was seen as many as a contender and instead is in the running for 1st OA. The more losses the better chance of at least a new coaching staff.

I consider you as one of the smartest writers here and I agree with what you wrote, but there's no guarantee Laine would be the same player if he'd been drafted by the Oilers.

I'm not comparing him and Jesse and I'm not underestimating Laine, but I think he's another good example of a player who could've suffered from the Oilers "development" program. I followed his first year very carefully so I believe I know what I'm talking about here.

Laine had tough preseason games so he might've started the first season in the AHL. He also had some tough times and confidence issues (which he admitted himself), but was able to overcome them with the help of good linemates and excellent PP setup. Might've been different with e.g. Caggiula and Khaira/Pouliot and no PP time. He was also prone to bad mistakes and TM's way to bench a player after one could've been brutal.

The Jets wanted to develop him into the best possible player and knew that would require a longer leash and proper usage. There's no reason to think it would've been the same in the Oilers, as TM's way is pretty much the opposite.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the Oilers are better than 10th last then I win, if they are 10th last or worse you win. 2 weeks or 1 month, your choice.

If the Oilers are better than 10th last then I win, if they are 10th last or worse you win. 2 weeks or 1 month, your choice. Hopefully your skills ensure a great season from here on out :)

Sure. I don't like betting against the Oilers, but so be it. Like I said, I might lose the bet, as I think they could potentially finish around 18th-20th overall, but that is as high as I see them getting this year.

You are on...I’ll up my own stakes and gladly wear an avatar of shame for an entire year if you win...I’m a glutton for punishment-lol. 2 weeks for you if I win...which in turn means we will have all lost.

Ok. It's on like Donkey Kong!

We will see, right now this team is far from where they were last season but I still see them as a playoff team once they pull their heads out of their collective asses and Sekera returns.

Alright @McJadeddog and @McFuhryous it's time for me to start paying my avatar debts to you guys. Start getting your avatars ready for me. Also Jaded, I didn't see if you said 2 weeks or a month, can you check on that? If it wasn't stated then we'll go with 2 weeks.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I consider you as one of the smartest writers here and I agree with what you wrote, but there's no guarantee Laine would be the same player if he'd been drafted by the Oilers.

I'm not comparing him and Jesse and I'm not underestimating Laine, but I think he's another good example of a player who could've suffered from the Oilers "development" program. I followed his first year very carefully so I believe I know what I'm talking about here.

Laine had tough preseason games so he might've started the first season in the AHL. He also had some tough times and confidence issues (which he admitted himself), but was able to overcome them with the help of good linemates and excellent PP setup. Might've been different with e.g. Caggiula and Khaira/Pouliot and no PP time. He was also prone to bad mistakes and TM's way to bench a player after one could've been brutal.

The Jets wanted to develop him into the best possible player and knew that would require a longer leash and proper usage. There's no reason to think it would've been the same in the Oilers, as TM's way is pretty much the opposite.

I seemed to have missed this post. You may well be right that Maine wouldn't have been given the same opportunities here? How's his English and would he be willing to put an autographed Jay Woodcroft poster on his wall? :)

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I seemed to have missed this post. You may well be right that Maine wouldn't have been given the same opportunities here? How's his English and would he be willing to put an autographed Jay Woodcroft poster on his wall? :)

Yeah, I guess I wrote that already a while ago. I stick to my words, but don't really want to talk much about Laine right now (I've learned it's a pretty volatile issue) and I'm actually not writing about Jesse for a while, either :)

But yes Laine's English is better and that could've helped him. The poster could've been an issue, though. It's got to be a tough thing for anyone, except for Letestu, Lucic, maybe Caggiula, TM and Woodcroft himself.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Alright @McJadeddog and @McFuhryous it's time for me to start paying my avatar debts to you guys. Start getting your avatars ready for me. Also Jaded, I didn't see if you said 2 weeks or a month, can you check on that? If it wasn't stated then we'll go with 2 weeks.

I can't actually find my note on my bet with you. So lets call it 2 weeks. I'll PM you an image in the next day or so.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->