GDT: Boston visits Carolina 7PM : Only bear sign left as the arena is clawed and gory.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It doesn't help we were placed in a division practically loaded with teams that have seen local residents flood the Triangle. A part of me does wonder if Karmanos purposely signed up for it, not caring what it would do to the fan experience because he knew the visiting fans in divisional play would fill up PNC every year when their teams are making the playoff push.

There is no doubt in my mind that PK signed up for it for that reason. IIRC, I think he even may have come right out and made comments about opposing teams fans filling the arena.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If we ever had a decent team, there would be tons of easy rivalries for us given how home games tend to go within our division.

The problem is the Canes keep finding themselves in this place where the local fans are depressed by early March, so the arena gets taken over easily. Nobody wants to go and see their team get clown-pounded in front of jeering opposition fans.
At this point its an endless cycle. Even if the Canes started winning more, the visiting fans will always flock to our arena and those visiting fans will always make asshats out of themselves because 1, its not their house, they don't care, and 2, they want to be the intimidating visiting fans. Hell, earlier this year I had an Isles fan pop me out of nowhere while I was talking to my dad sitting in our seats because "hurr durr, this is our house now". Why the hell would I want to go back to a Canes game if that kind of crap is tolerated and all but accepted by the organization? And it'll only get worse if we start to play well, because then those jerkoffs will think they have to be worse to defend their team's honor, much like we saw with Buffalo in 2006.

Thing is, I really do believe that Karmanos signed on for this, not caring what it would mean for the local fans, because it put butts in seats. Also meant he had less accountability because the arena would be still relatively full even when the home team played like butt. And.... that's pretty much what happened, and now we see divisional games with 50/50 crowds and a completely deflated home team because they're tired of playing 65+ away games per year.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I only got to listen to the 3rd period but it was pretty sickening listening to the Boston crowd go nuts once they tied it and then when they went ahead. I know that's pretty much a common occurrence especially with teams from the Northeast but having to basically go to an away game in your own arena would really make me hesitate to go to Canes games often. Obviously there's little the team can do about it besides winning and drawing out local Canes fans but still... just brutal.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If we ever had a decent team, there would be tons of easy rivalries for us given how home games tend to go within our division.

The problem is the Canes keep finding themselves in this place where the local fans are depressed by early March, so the arena gets taken over easily. Nobody wants to go and see their team get clown-pounded in front of jeering opposition fans.

This is exactly the problem, of course. I literally can not give tickets away for people to watch this f***ing team unless I'm giving them to fans of the other team. Which I still refuse to do, for what it's worth.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
What little we've seen of him so far, I'm guessing he's thinking he's going to make some major moves this off season. Can't see him firing the GM and doing all this other stuff just to make a few small tweaks to the team and coaching staff and then hoping for the best.

I’d say 12 new players on the team, maybe new coaching staff, and GM.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
At this point its an endless cycle. Even if the Canes started winning more, the visiting fans will always flock to our arena and those visiting fans will always make asshats out of themselves because 1, its not their house, they don't care, and 2, they want to be the intimidating visiting fans. Hell, earlier this year I had an Isles fan pop me out of nowhere while I was talking to my dad sitting in our seats because "hurr durr, this is our house now". Why the hell would I want to go back to a Canes game if that kind of crap is tolerated and all but accepted by the organization? And it'll only get worse if we start to play well, because then those *******s will think they have to be worse to defend their team's honor, much like we saw with Buffalo in 2006.

Thing is, I really do believe that Karmanos signed on for this, not caring what it would mean for the local fans, because it put butts in seats. Also meant he had less accountability because the arena would be still relatively full even when the home team played like butt. And.... that's pretty much what happened, and now we see divisional games with 50/50 crowds and a completely deflated home team because they're tired of playing 65+ away games per year.

This is a bad take that comes from understandable frustration.

First of all, there are idiot hockey fans everywhere. By your logic, no one would ever go to a Rangers game because there might be too many Devils or Islanders or Flyers fans trying to "intimidate" people. Nonsense. If someone's an asshole, get off your ass and go get the usher to throw them the f*** out.

Second of all, this team has been garbage for a decade. When there's even a *glimmer* of hope, fans will turn out for this team. 3000 opposing fans in a half-full arena can sound super loud -- but 3000 opposing fans in an arena with 15,000 home fans disappear pretty quick when the home team is winning.

Third, of course Karmanos signed up for this, because it's a transplant market and he wanted to ensure a viable team. I would too.

The answer is simple. Stop sucking. Invest in better players, better coaches, better GMs, better facilities, better staff, better gameday experience, better everything. And we've got an owner who seems to be committed to doing just that. Unfortunately, it's going to take a while.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Peters needs to be fired into the sun. He doesn't deserve another chance regardless of how bad some players have played. I really have no fear of him becoming a good coach for a powerhouse team like two of our former coaches. He will be an assistant coach lifer, IMO.

Get a coach with a pulse and some NHL experience.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I only got to listen to the 3rd period but it was pretty sickening listening to the Boston crowd go nuts once they tied it and then when they went ahead. I know that's pretty much a common occurrence especially with teams from the Northeast but having to basically go to an away game in your own arena would really make me hesitate to go to Canes games often. Obviously there's little the team can do about it besides winning and drawing out local Canes fans but still... just brutal.

What you didn't hear then was the jubilation and mocking shouts of "TUUUU" after the Canes had gone up 4-1. It felt great in the arena and Bruins fans were absolutely silent around me. But as with all things Canes, the fun had to come to an end sooner or even sooner. That fired up the Boston fans even more.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
D3 is getting a Druid? How will it be much different than the DH or Witch Doctor?

There have been many eater eggs about it being another dlc like the necro expected to be announced at Blizzcon....so far off.

Not sure how it would be designed since Mage also has the tornado line.

Probably heavily centered around shape shifting.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Don't you dare criticize Cam Ward. He only gave up 3 softies over his glove on 9 shots.
I've read lots of comments from fans of teams with questionable goaltending, and it's always the same. The goalie lets in a softie every night and the people defending the goalies will call out defense etc. Winnipeg was the same last year. You simply cannot succeed with a goalie who lets in a softie almost every game, because it makes everyone else in the team nervous once the puck gets over their blue line. If the team doesn't trust the goalie, you're pretty much f***ed.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Not just "in the third", but in the last 10 minutes of the third.

I was there with my son on his birthday. We were rocking....until we weren't.

Nobody wants to go and see their team get clown-pounded in front of jeering opposition fans.

"cloen-pounded" - definitely stealing that one.

Personally, I think it will be half a dozen, but only 3 that really make a difference....couple of new forwards in the top 6 and a new goalie. The other 3 guys will be spread across the bottom 6 and our bottom pairing. You heard it here first.:naughty:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
More like burn house at this point.
#triggered

Awesome. I play on PC....how do you like the Nemesis system exclusive to console?
I didn’t even know it was a thing, honestly. I think only one of my friends has Diablo for ps4, and he hasn’t played recently so I haven’t had a chance to experience it yet. Seems like a neat thing though.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
eh he's been the least of our problems this year in that regard. And he turned it on since being moved to center.

What killed us was Skinner, Faulk, Rask, Ryan, Stempniak, Darling, Krueger, and Nordy regressing significantly from last season. Can't have 8 guys completely lose form and only 2 move in a significantly positive direction (Aho and Turbo). It's a recipe for disaster especially for as big a roll as 5 of those were expected to play.

It sucks going in to the offseason knowing we at the very least need to get what we can for Rask and bring in a better center, and flat out hit the reset button on goaltending again.

Fair enough.... Ive liked him at center....he seems to have been worse on wing this year than last.

I really hope he hires a shooting coach this off-season

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I know... two of our former coaches are coaching powerhouse teams. Feels bad man.

Granted they have a lot more to work with but I feel like Peters would turn both of those teams into bubble teams somehow, Jarnkrok and Perreault would be skating 20+ minutes a game with him (though those two guys are way more deserving than Derek ****ing Ryan)

Peters could turn Laine into a 15 goal scorer.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This isn’t coaching. Coaches don’t tell their players to fall apart when things get rough, neither do they actually pull a speech straight from miracle to inspire them.

Ward got beat on a nice shot to start the comeback. We immediately started losing all Mo, and starting losing puck battles at the blue line. When it mattered most Faulk blindly threw a backhand clear 10 ft over the glass and we gave up a pp goal, and from that point it seemed inevitable.

Does Peters take the fall for this? He may but I’m not convinced he should. To me it comes down to, would anyone do better? Different isn’t better it’s just different. Maybe Peters IS overwhelmed in finding a way to not let this team choke down the stretch, but he’s hardly the first guy around here with that problem. He is still considered an excellent coach in the hockey world. He’ll coach elsewhere and have success. Would he do better with better talent? Can anyone else do better with this talent? His voice isn’t being shunned, almost every guy on the team is fighting for a job. We lack the gumption to fight through adversity, that’s a player trait not a coach’s. Peters has been screaming for reinforcements since we were heading into last off season.

Aho, Williams and McGinn with maybe Lindy at center are the ones who fight the hardest imo to change the flow of the game. Maybe jstaal because he is relentless in playing the same game no matter what the situation. Everyone else has not stepped up.

Slavin, Pesce and TVR stay the calmest under pressure. I think Fleury will get there. Hanifin is tough because I think the attitude and skill are there, I don’t know that he can put it all together.

That’s what I would build around. TT is great to me as a complimentary player but he’s too peripheral to take a game by the throat, though he can compliment someone who does. Skinner is too streaky to count on and loses way too many pucks. For the first time in his career I feel like he is a detriment to this teams success currently. He literally needs to score to be worth a spot. I finally have truly come on line with Peters keeping him a third liner. You can’t trust him with the puck at all at times, let alone against the other teams best. Last years Skinner scored enough to make up for his shortcomings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad