Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Zdeno Chara to an extension (1 year, $5M + $1.75M in bonuses]

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Chara's longevity always makes me wonder how Pronger would have aged without the eye injury ending his career a month after his 37th birthday.

Reactions: Devonator

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
How many times has Chara been suspended in his career? How many times has he injured people with dirty hits? Don't bring up Patches because it wasn't dirty, it was at an unfortunate spot on the ice that made it a lot worse.
That Patches hit was definitely dirty.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
1 year deal foks, this is virtually a no risk deal. For a players prides sake 5M is a token price for Chara. It may as well be $1.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This is a really really good move by Boston. Chara is essentially invaluable in what he brings. He has been such a calming presence for the rookie defensemen (Carlo, McAvoy) that he has been paired with. This is no knock on either Carlo or McAvoy but I don't think it's coincidence that both play outstanding hockey when paired with him.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Thank freaking god from this Oilers fan. Chara is still great, but if somehow Chia stays was afraid he would sign him for 5+ years this summer.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
One-year deal? Fantastic contract. Still a top pairing D, especially if paired with someone who can compensate for his lack of footspeed.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Boston probably learned from the issues with Datsyuk. I don't think Chara would do that but year to year and his age is the way to go.
I feel like datsyuk couldn't be more Russian and Chara more Canadian in terms of their demeanor. Still he is 41, giving him multi year deal would feel like the marleau deal with the leafs where it just looks like the extra year is there to lower the caphit.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Hes old and slow, however he has size he can use to his advantage. Great deal for the leafs, as we will continue to take advantage of him.

He is still a premier penalty killing, shutdown defenseman. One of the league's best.

Don't kid yourself the Bruins are the team better for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad