Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Zdeno Chara to an extension (1 year, $5M + $1.75M in bonuses]

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
And then you have you...casting generalizations about Leaf fans because of a very small Minority.

But yeah it's only Leaf fans who are stirring the pot...

Never change HFB...never change.

The "small minority" keeps on crawling out of wherever they dwell. Look below.

I wonder when they will transition from "small minority" to just "Leafs fans"... The threshold must be close...

About 5 million too much

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Leaf fans/kids I guess are a little nervous about the Bruins. A rested up Z will not work out well for the high flying Leafs.

I haven't been paying attention for a while but is Ron Hainsey still the Leafs best defense-man ?

Counter that I heard before, several times: "but... but... Hainsey just won a Cup with Pittsburgh! He was a big part of that!". Let's see how long before it makes an appearance.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Obviously this is a great deal for the Bruins. $5M is nothing for a defender like him, and if he hits the bonuses it means the deal gets even better.

Most of the bonus money is trivially achievable.

- $1.25m for playing 10 games
- $250k for making the playoffs
- $250k for winning the Cup

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Well my first thought is that's a good deal for the Bru....aaaand of course this is a thread about the Leafs now. Awesome.

See, this is why I want to face Tampa Bay in the first round. We might get smashed but at least the threads will be less pissy.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
Well my first thought is that's a good deal for the Bru....aaaand of course this is a thread about the Leafs now. Awesome.

See, this is why I want to face Tampa Bay in the first round. We might get smashed but at least the threads will be less pissy.

Isn't the trolling from both sides half the fun though?

On topic, I like the signing and it honestly seemed inevitable that they'd agree to an extension before the season was up. Despite what a lot of us thought in the off season Chara doesn't look done by any means and management has been keen on him as a mentor/locker room presence. Dunno if he'll continue the return to form he's shown but for his age he's still pretty great and worth risking a year at 5M.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Not to throw all the blame on the victims, but they would probably return from whence they came if you guys would stop feeding them already. :laugh:

Yeah seriously. Ignoring them is easy, they're probably posting from their parent's basement anyway.

The deal is fantastic. Chara is still a top pairing D and we have a bevy of LHD prospects in the system (Zboril, Lauzon, Urho). You'd think one of them would be able to step into the lineup by the 2019-2020 season (not to replace Chara, but become a contributor).

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Good team-friendly contract and taking it year-to-year at this step. If when he was a rookie with the Islanders, someone asked me if he'd be playing when he was 41, I'd say that's nuts, but he's 41 and still playing. With likely over 900 games as a Bruin and a Cup in hand, I see #33 being retired by Boston the season after he retires. The question is: who would take the load once Chara finally does decide to retire?

Last edited:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Seems a good move by Boston; from what I've seen Chara's looked good this year and seems to still have some hockey in him. I like how quietly he's accepted a reduced role on the PP and I'm sure those young D-men are soaking up whatever he's got to say or teach them. As a Wings fan and hockey fan I've always thought that Chara was one of the good guys of this league, hopefully he's got a few more productive years in him.

Nice. Then you can extend him for another 5 years. Go for it.

Ah, the old Ken Holland special.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Leaf fans are just sour because we didn’t have to give Chara 3 years like they had to give Marleau. Lol.

Ya, the one year term is the important and key aspect of this signing. Surprisingly, it looks like Lou has some competition and there are other good GMs out there.

I'd be much more worried about the Bruins being swept, they simply cannot match our speed.

Agree , I hope we can keep the games somewhat close

I heard they are already planning on throwing in the towel to save themselves the embarrassment.

Agreed. The Boston Bruins are just a stepping stone for the Leafs and should just forfeit to save themselves the embarrassment.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Good deal. Hell of a dman even at 40+

My only "issue" with the contract is .. why bother going through the charade of "bonuses." 10 games? Wtf? Why not add one for reaching 4 points? Or using 7 sticks throughout the season?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Woof leafs fans in here seeking validation harder than a fat girl on prom night. Give it a rest guys.

Great deal for big Z he seems younger somehow this year and he becomes a better captain every year. I want to see the C on Bergy but Chara is an all timer for Bruins captains.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

My only "issue" with the contract is .. why bother going through the charade of "bonuses." 10 games? Wtf? Why not add one for reaching 4 points? Or using 7 sticks throughout the season?
I'm assuming it somehow helps them with the cap through the off season

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon

There's some kind of bonus cushion on the cap ... someone help me out here ... but there's a bit more flexibility to 5+1 than to a straight 6. Can you defer some of the $$$ to the next season?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
There's some kind of bonus cushion on the cap ... someone help me out here ... but there's a bit more flexibility to 5+1 than to a straight 6. Can you defer some of the $$$ to the next season?
I don't know how accurate it is, but I remember reading that for 35+ contracts bonuses can be deferred to the following year if there isn't enough cap space. I'm sure someone can confirm or correct this for us.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

Oh. Right yes you can defer bonus money to the following year. I forgot about that.

If that's the case then it makes perfect sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad