Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Zdeno Chara to an extension (1 year, $5M + $1.75M in bonuses]

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't know how accurate it is, but I remember reading that for 35+ contracts bonuses can be deferred to the following year if there isn't enough cap space. I'm sure someone can confirm or correct this for us.

Yup.

CBA 50.5(h)(ii)
A Club shall be permitted to have an Averaged Club Salary in excess of
the Upper Limit resulting from Performance Bonuses solely to the extent
that such excess results from the inclusion in Averaged Club Salary of:
(i)
Exhibit 5 Individual "A" Performance Bonuses and "B" Performance
Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in the Entry
Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned by Players
pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above
, provided that under no
circumstances may a Club's Averaged Club Salary so exceed the Upper
Limit by an amount greater than the result of seven-and-one-half (7.5)
percent multiplied by the Upper Limit (the "Performance Bonus
Cushion").

and (iii)

At the conclusion of each League Year, the amount of Performance
Bonuses actually earned, including, without limitation, and for purposes of
clarity, (i) Exhibit 5 Individual "A" Performance Bonuses and "B"
Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in
the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned
by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above, shall be determined
and shall be charged against the Club's Upper Limit and Averaged Club
Salary for such League Year. To the extent a Club's Averaged Club
Salary exceeds its Upper Limit as a result of:
(i) Exhibit 5 Individual "A"
Performance Bonuses and "B" Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that
may be earned by Players in the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance
Bonuses that may be earned by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C)
above, then the Club's Upper Limit for the next League Year shall be
reduced by an amount equal to such excess.

35+ contracts fall under the Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) mentioned.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leaf fans/kids I guess are a little nervous about the Bruins. A rested up Z will not work out well for the high flying Leafs.

I haven't been paying attention for a while but is Ron Hainsey still the Leafs best defense-man ?

Sure if you remove the two ~50 point puck moving defenseman the Leafs have and Dermott.

I don't think the Leafs would be worried about Chara at all. Leafs skated circles around him over the past couple years. He's over the hill.

If the Bruins/Leafs meet in the playoffs, the players the Leafs would be worried about would be Marchand and Bergeron.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Guy is insane when it comes to his fitness. I remember reading that his cheat day once a month is to have one peanut M&M!

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Whats your point? He's still a top pairing D man on one of the best teams in the NHL.

To think he will fall off a cliff hard enough to make next years extension not worth it is pretty silly...

I'm just saying he doesn't play as well as he used to. I hold no disrespect towards him nor anybody else(Marchand? Honestly, I don't know.). Chara's a veteran and is so-so, but he's not the guy right now, whom I've seen in 2011 cup finals.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'm just saying he doesn't play as well as he used to. I hold no disrespect towards him nor anybody else(Marchand? Honestly, I don't know.). Chara's a veteran and is so-so, but he's not the guy right now, whom I've seen in 2011 cup finals.

Chara isn't so - so... he has had a very good season. He isn't even close to being as good as he was in 2011, no one has claimed that.

Chara was elite in 2011, one of the best d men in the league. This year he is very good and has still anchored the top pair.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Chara isn't so - so... he has had a very good season. He isn't even close to being as good as he was in 2011, no one has claimed that.

Chara was elite in 2011, one of the best d men in the league. This year he is very good and has still anchored the top pair.

If you look at the previous posts, you'll see I replied to a person about this, so I'm not writing about this out of the blue. So, I hope you stop.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
If you look at the previous posts, you'll see I replied to a person about this, so I'm not writing about this out of the blue. So, I hope you stop.

Which post? All I see is someone saying "Chara is still good too, though" which is correct. Please point out where he said hes as good as 2011. If anyone said it, they're obviously a bit crazy.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Which post? All I see is someone saying "Chara is still good too, though" which is correct. Please point out where he said hes as good as 2011. If anyone said it, they're obviously a bit crazy.

So, I replied, "not as good as before". What's wrong with that? Are you going to stop, honey, or do I have to put you on my ignore list? :)

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
So, I replied, "not as good as before". What's wrong with that? Are you going to stop, honey, or do I have to put you on my ignore list? :)

Its just completely irrelevant to the discussion, everyone knows he isn't as good as 2011. He can still be good without being 2011 good, which it seems like you are somehow debating...

Not sure why you're calling me honey, but you aren't the first and wont be the last person to put me on an ignore list so feel free to. We can go our separate ways.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod

Not true. You said "Chara at least used to be good", he used to be an elite defenseman, this quote by you implies he's not good anymore. Then you followed up and said he is "so-so" don't act like you didn't say what you did.hes still a really strong top pairing shut down guy. He would be your teams #1.

Edit: lol at the passive aggressive phrasing of your reply as you lie about what you actually wrote, "honey" haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Vezina Thomas

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Not true. You said "Chara at least used to be good", he used to be an elite defenseman, this implies he's not good anymore. Then you followed up and said he is "so-so" don't act like you didn't say what you did.hes still a really strong top pairing shut down guy. He would be your teams #1.

Its an odd exchange, for sure. I don't think even the biggest Bruins homer would suggest hes as good as 2011 Chara.

Still doesnt change the fact that hes still very good and playing like a top pairing D man.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Its an odd exchange, for sure. I don't think even the biggest Bruins homer would suggest hes as good as 2011 Chara.

Still doesnt change the fact that hes still very good and playing like a top pairing D man.

Yeah he's gone from complete manimal beast to great shutdown, pk guy. Hes 40 for fs sakes. He's still a top 3 dman on any team just not an elite #1 like in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->