Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Zdeno Chara to an extension (1 year, $5M + $1.75M in bonuses]

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Seems like a pretty good deal for both sides. When I found out that he re-signed I hadn't seen the number, just a word from a friend so I didn't know the term and AAV and wondered if Boston would have to overpay a little to get him to keep playing.

He's still giving then good minutes, so the $5 million base salary is very good and if he earns the bonus money, he's obviously been worth it, so I don't see a problem with this deal at all.

People will always look for a reason to hate.

Reactions: Mork

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I love all the leafs fans coming in here acting like they won a series that isn't even set. Chara's career isnt even over and he's had a better one than most current hall of fame Dmen.

There is a reason he plays top mintues for a playoff team. It takes more then food speed to win hockey games and Z is one of many current players to prove that.

Leafs keep talking about how "horrible" this deal is. If Chara went to FA Leafs would have been all over him for the same price tag. Hope B's do see you in the playoffs so Z's team can prove why they are the better team.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
He’s looked very slow in games against the Leafs this year. Maybe it’s just cause the Leafs are a fast team, but as a fan, he doesn’t worry/concern me when we play the Bruins. Only that he’ll injure someone in the playoffs because he’s pretty good at that.

The post may read somewhat bias/bitter, but I think it’s a fair contract and he’s had a great career. Good deal for all he brings off the ice and to the locker room.

As a rival fan, this does nothing for me either way.

It definitely does. Just for PK alone that’s a steal. Very few teams wouldn’t sign him for one year for that alone. Including your Leafs. Babcock would take that deal and term in a nanosecond. Leafs are a good team, but their weakness is on D.

member 147413

It definitely does. Just for PK alone that’s a steal. Very few teams wouldn’t sign him for one year for that alone. Including your Leafs. Babcock would take that deal and term in a nanosecond. Leafs are a good team, but their weakness is on D.
I would take him on the Leafs at that contract no doubt, but he’s been easy to play against for us the past couple years.

He’s slow and him being on the Bruins for another year doesn’t change anything.

Reactions: bearcountry17

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Hes old and slow, however he has size he can use to his advantage. Great deal for the leafs, as we will continue to take advantage of him.
Your leafs are highly unlikely to get past those Chara led Bruins you know.....anyways solid signing for Boston....you can't lost...even if he does fall off dramatically in his play next year no big deal....only a one year deal...smart move by both sides....

liljegren beast

Mar 28, 2018
Your leafs are highly unlikely to get past those Chara led Bruins you know.....anyways solid signing for Boston....you can't lost...even if he does fall off dramatically in his play next year no big deal....only a one year deal...smart move by both sides....

Season series is 3-1 leafs so I don't see why we are unlikely to get to the 2nd round

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Season series is 3-1 leafs so I don't see why we are unlikely to get to the 2nd round

Because A) playoffs are a different game B) look at the injuries boston has had to play through with each of those games against Toronto and c) the matchup between TO and BOS isn't even set in stone. For all we know it could be Tampa and TO although unlikely given the Bruins current injuries and 2 games against Tampa coming up.

This is the exact mentality Toronto had that seen Boston come back in 13. Its not over until the final buzzer.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Still a low end number 1 D. This should be a good contract barring a decent amount of regression.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
This is really good for a Boston team that doesn't have much on the left side right now (Some kids coming but not quite there yet). Insulates the young right shots for a bit while they figure things out.

As a Leaf fan I hate it. He's way better than Hainsey so i would have liked to add him in the summer and bump Hainsey to a pairing with Dermott or something.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Because A) playoffs are a different game B) look at the injuries boston has had to play through with each of those games against Toronto and c) the matchup between TO and BOS isn't even set in stone. For all we know it could be Tampa and TO although unlikely given the Bruins current injuries and 2 games against Tampa coming up.

This is the exact mentality Toronto had that seen Boston come back in 13. Its not over until the final buzzer.

To be clear and fair I believe we were without Matthews for at least 2 of the Boston games possibly a third. It's late and I can't remember...but we beat Boston without our best player a few times already.

If you are comparing the '13 leafs and the incompetent coaching etc we had not to mention an over achieving roster to our current one and it's mentality. ..you are going to be I'm for a surprise. That '13 team couldn't keep up with the current one on its best day.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
To be clear and fair I believe we were without Matthews for at least 2 of the Boston games possibly a third. It's late and I can't remember...but we beat Boston without our best player a few times already.

If you are comparing the '13 leafs and the incompetent coaching etc we had not to mention an over achieving roster to our current one and it's mentality. ..you are going to be I'm for a surprise. That '13 team couldn't keep up with the current one on its best day.

Maybe read what I said before commenting. I'm saying with the way leafs fans are talking as if they might as well start the parade now. NHL playoffs are like no other sport.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017

Nah, Leafs don't need Chara. He would be a burden with his slowness.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My 2 cents (and I am mostly a Leafs fan for what it's worth) - I like this signing for Boston. It only makes sense to go year to year with Chara at this point.

The price is right and he is one of those guys that does have intangibles. He mentors McAvoy and Carlo (they share a locker room). He protects his teammates just by being on the ice, guys think twice if it's worth it.

He isn't washed up or "done" by any means, a no brainer to bring back, you will feel his absence when he is gone.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
And then you have you...casting generalizations about Leaf fans because of a very small Minority.

But yeah it's only Leaf fans who are stirring the pot...

Never change HFB...never change.

Leaf fans are the only team with a negative small minority. No other fan base in this thread has seen its small minority jump to the forefront. Boston fans also have a reputation for being racist. Why? Small minority. The rest of the country doesn’t rationalize it as a small minority. So yup, leaf fans laughing at and mocking the signing despite the fact that it’s a good one.

Sweeney has done a very good job at this point when it comes to resigning current players. Both Marchand and pastrnak are locked into great deals. Now chara

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Leaf fans/kids I guess are a little nervous about the Bruins. A rested up Z will not work out well for the high flying Leafs.

I haven't been paying attention for a while but is Ron Hainsey still the Leafs best defense-man ?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Probably because we have witnessed the leafs torch him all year

Zdeno Chara was an even player with 1 point in 4 games vs. the Leafs. Wow that's very low standards for "torched". If that's torched then I'm not sure if Leafs vs. Bruins will even get past 4 games.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Obviously this is a great deal for the Bruins. $5M is nothing for a defender like him, and if he hits the bonuses it means the deal gets even better.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA

If we can't compare past teams then tell your other leaf fans to stop bragging about all the wins you got last year. And yes you beat us without Matthews. We were also with out Krejci and Backes for 2 of those games. Counts for something, but not worth quibbling because it all means nothing when the playoffs start.

But back to topic. I like the 1 year deal for Chara, he's worth it and we'll see if he can step up in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->