Blue Jays Discussion: Borucki finally struggled a bit. But it's probably not time to panic yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't know what it is about the Yankees but they now have a reputation for developing promising arms (even fixing guys they didn't draft like Loaisiga). I know they place a big emphasis on fastball spin rate. There farm system is at least 8 deep with interesting arms.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Moustakas situation this past off season really goes to show how the market has changed. Both Moustakas and Machado will get money prior to Donaldson this coming off season and injuries with play a huge part. He may very well indeed have to take a salary around the QO range, really think it will be difficult for him to get a cent over 20 million a season on a multi year deal. To me he is no different then EE when he hit free agency. 20 million a season for a limited defender and decent power numbers. With Donaldson's injuries his defense is in question and with injuries limiting his offence to smaller numbers then EE had going into free agency, it might be tough for Donaldson to even get 20 million a season.

Should be interesting times. But definitely the Jays will qualify him and in the very least will receive draft pick compensation. But I have a feeling Donaldson will be the Moustakas of this years free agency class.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The draft pick the a team losing an FA has changed, correct?

Where in the draft would compensation pick be if they were to qualify Donaldson and he signed elsewhere?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is what the Brooksbaseball (Pitchf/x) AI spit out on Borucki after his first start:

BrooksBaseball.net Player Card: Ryan Borucki

"Pitch Repertoire At-A-Glance

Ryan Borucki has thrown 95 pitches that have been tracked by the PITCHf/x system in 2018, all of them occuring in the MLB Regular Season. In 2018, he has relied primarily on his Fourseam Fastball (92mph) and Change (84mph), also mixing in a Slider (78mph).

BETA Feature:

Basic description of 2018 pitches compared to other LHP:

His fourseam fastball has heavy sinking action, has an obvious tail, has essentially average velo and results in somewhat more groundballs compared to other pitchers' fourseamers. His change is an extreme flyball pitch compared to other pitchers' changeups, has a lot of backspin and is slightly firmer than usual. His slider (take this with a grain of salt because he's only thrown 6 of them in 2018) is basically never swung at and missed compared to other pitchers' sliders, has exceptional depth, results in more flyballs compared to other pitchers' sliders, has short glove-side cut and has below average velo. "

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
oh har-har, how could that possibly be grounded in any form of reasonable thought!
Absolute worst-case scenario, the Jays tender a QO. Which then brings one of two outcomes: 1) He accepts and we do this all again next season, 2) He walks and we get a comp pick for him. So we'll get something for him.

This, of course, is assuming the Jays don't re-sign him to a multi-year deal.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Absolute worst-case scenario, the Jays tender a QO. Which then brings one of two outcomes: 1) He accepts and we do this all again next season, 2) He walks and we get a comp pick for him. So we'll get something for him.

I could be mistaken but I believe according to the new rules if you qualify a guy and he accepts, you can't qualify him again the following year. So if JD accepts, and we don't trade him during that season, then we would not get pick compensation cause he couldn't be qualified again.

Also, there's a third alternative to the ones you mention above I think. Any free agent who waits until June to sign, I believe, no longer requires compensation. This happened with Morales a few years ago. It's a worst case scenario that isn't likely to happen (as it would mean missing spring training and two months) but it has happened once before.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I could be mistaken but I believe according to the new rules if you qualify a guy and he accepts, you can't qualify him again the following year. So if JD accepts, and we don't trade him during that season, then we would not get pick compensation cause he couldn't be qualified again.

Also, there's a third alternative to the ones you mention above I think. Any free agent who waits until June to sign, I believe, no longer requires compensation. This happened with Morales a few years ago. It's a worst case scenario that isn't likely to happen (as it would mean missing spring training and two months) but it has happened once before.
Yeah, I figured we'd trade him next season if an extension wasn't forthcoming. I forgot about Morales and Stephen Drew and the no-comp, that's true. But honestly, I don't think anyone's going to follow through with such a threat after how poorly it worked out for them. If anyone was going to do it it would have been this past off-season when 8965 players remained unsigned well into the winter. Guys like Greg Holland, Alex Cobb, et al. also seem to have had trouble after missing spring training, similar to how Morales and Drew did.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Yeah, I figured we'd trade him next season if an extension wasn't forthcoming. I forgot about Morales and Stephen Drew and the no-comp, that's true. But honestly, I don't think anyone's going to follow through with such a threat after how poorly it worked out for them. If anyone was going to do it it would have been this past off-season when 8965 players remained unsigned well into the winter. Guys like Greg Holland, Alex Cobb, et al. also seem to have had trouble after missing spring training, similar to how Morales and Drew did.

Yeah, I don't think it's likely either. The only way it would happen imo is if JD got injured or needed surgery in the offseason and was not going to be able to play till June anyway.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Estrada giving these runs back. Was 5-0 Jays after the 1st and now its 5-3 and the 1st isnt over yet.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I feel like it went unnoticed, but Jonathan Davis hit for the first ever Fisher Cats cycle yesterday.

He strikes me as a guy who's going to find himself on a major league roster at some point. He's 26 and playing at AA, but he's got good on-base skills, can play CF, can run... if nothing else, I can see him finding a spot as a 4th OF/small side of a platoon.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
26yr old running a .359babip to get a good but not great 133wrc+ in AA.

he's not gonna make it.

Reactions: BigBlu

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
26yr old running a .359babip to get a good but not great 133wrc+ in AA.

he's not gonna make it.

Could always be a late bloomer. There's been several cases over the years of guys not making their debuts until they're 26, 27, 28 years of age.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Yeah we f***in blew it. After the blazing hot end to last season, we should have traded Donaldson in the off-season when his value was at his peak. From that point on his value has diminished. Just because our new management thought we could "compete". Idiotic and terrible asset management. They should have moved Donaldson for a young blue chip MLB ready arm and some prospects on the same trajectory of our farm system, signed Moustakas, and brought up Vlad Jr. in August to create some interest for fans.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I thought going into the season with Donaldson in his last year was a bad move, too. But the idea of trading him to build for the future and then giving up young assets for Moustakas is pretty funny.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I know in this day and age when everyone is an arm chair gm and statistical expert and scout and prospect watcher, as a fan of Josh Donaldson, I hope he is back with the Blue Jays next year.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah we ****in blew it. After the blazing hot end to last season, we should have traded Donaldson in the off-season when his value was at his peak. From that point on his value has diminished. Just because our new management thought we could "compete". Idiotic and terrible asset management. They should have moved Donaldson for a young blue chip MLB ready arm and some prospects on the same trajectory of our farm system, signed Moustakas, and brought up Vlad Jr. in August to create some interest for fans.

Gary Leeman.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I know in this day and age when everyone is an arm chair gm and statistical expert and scout and prospect watcher, as a fan of Josh Donaldson, I hope he is back with the Blue Jays next year.
Well he's making himself more affordable by the day so you might just get to enjoy him for a few more years.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Yeah we ****in blew it. After the blazing hot end to last season, we should have traded Donaldson in the off-season when his value was at his peak. From that point on his value has diminished. Just because our new management thought we could "compete". Idiotic and terrible asset management. They should have moved Donaldson for a young blue chip MLB ready arm and some prospects on the same trajectory of our farm system, signed Moustakas, and brought up Vlad Jr. in August to create some interest for fans.

I agree with everything except Moustakas and Vlad. This is what happens when your management is more reactive than proactive. The risk/reward of keeping Donaldson, and to a lesser extent Osuna, was pretty clear to some of us at the outset. Barely squeaking into the playoffs was the reward, the risk was basically this or something akin to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad