Blue Jays Discussion: Borucki finally struggled a bit. But it's probably not time to panic yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I hope we target one prospect with big upside (TOR arm or toolsy OF similar in age with Bo/Vlad) rather than 3 b type prospects that you might have to protect on the 40 man soon. I think the system is healthy enough where we can prioritize upside in any return rather than quantity.

I'm not really seeing a present elite prospect in their system. Their highest upside guy is Florial but there's some bust potential there. Sheffield is next in line but I don't see huge separation between his upside and the guys behind him, he's just closer to helping. What they have is a bunch of guys who are very good. Their depth of young pitching in the system is pretty impressive.

My ask is one of Acevedo/Tate, one of Garcia/Stephan, and one of Periera/Whitlock. Might be a big ask, but if they dont want to part with Sheffield, I'd want multiple good assets.

(Edit) Forgot about Frazier. I'd take Frazier straight up. That kid is gonna be a stud and he has no spot right now for them.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
A good return on him would really help us entering the Vlad Jr era.

Also worth noting he won those games against Porcello and Verlander. His start on opening day vs the Yankees wasn't bad either. Had that bad play by Granderson which led to runs.

He should be a hot commodity for the Jays.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
(Edit) Forgot about Frazier. I'd take Frazier straight up. That kid is gonna be a stud and he has no spot right now for them.

Some don't like Frazier or another outfielder but I gladly take Frazier. Move Pillar in the off-season and you have Hernandez-Grichuk-Frazier in the OF. Gives you some insurance re: Alford and maybe move Alford for pitching.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Some don't like Frazier or another outfielder but I gladly take Frazier. Move Pillar in the off-season and you have Hernandez-Grichuk-Frazier in the OF. Gives you some insurance re: Alford and maybe move Alford for pitching.

I think people are gun shy on him because he's not really a good outfielder and is more of a left fielder where Teo fits best. I love his bat though. He has ridiculous bat speed. Reminds me a bit of Donaldson with his leg kick and power.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Teams like the Mariners and Red Sox will have difficulty getting in on the best players available at the deadline. Their farm systems aren't very good.
Mariners system is total garbage. They are one team with a horrible track record of drafting/developing. Lewis looks no better than Dwight Smith. Evan White is a college right handed hitting 1b (bad track record) with very little power. Sam Carlson and Julio Rodriguez are somewhat interesting but that's because the mariners haven't had much chance to ruin them yet.

Red Sox will probably just target 7th/8th inning relievers given the weak farm system although I wouldn't put it past DD to try a big fish since he loves to be in the middle of everything.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
How our top prospects did last night

Bo Bichette 3-4, HR, 2 RBIs, SB (hitting .285 on the season)
Cavan Biggio 2-4, HR, 3 RBIs (hitting .278 on the season)
TJ Zeuch 3.2 IPs, 7 ERs, 8 Hits, 3 BBs, 1 SO (3.34 ERA on the season)
Anthony Alford 0-3, SB (hitting .208 on the season)
Rowdy Tellez 1-4 (hitting .252 on the season)
Danny Jansen 1-3 (hitting .299 on the season)
Ryan Noda 0-4 (hitting .263 on the season)
Chavez Young 0-3 (hitting .296 on the season)

Note: Bichette with 24 steals now on the season, more than he had the entire 2017 season

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm not really seeing a present elite prospect in their system. Their highest upside guy is Florial but there's some bust potential there. Sheffield is next in line but I don't see huge separation between his upside and the guys behind him, he's just closer to helping. What they have is a bunch of guys who are very good. Their depth of young pitching in the system is pretty impressive.

My ask is one of Acevedo/Tate, one of Garcia/Stephan, and one of Periera/Whitlock. Might be a big ask, but if they dont want to part with Sheffield, I'd want multiple good assets.

Like all those packages over Frazier straight up.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Gotta love the WAR stat. Baseball Reference has Domingo German as -0.3 bWAR player and FG has him as 0.7 fWAR player.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
I recognize the talent that Domingo German has with a nice 3 pitch mix highlighted by a curveball that is eliciting an 18.5% swinging strike rate and is holding opponents to a .175/.243/.278 line plus a changeup that has a 20.9% swinging-strike rate this year, but I'd be concerned about acquiring him personally due to a combination of inconsistent command durability concerns (already had 1 TJ surgery and throws hard plus lots of curveballs which are supposedly tough on elbows). Regarding command, he's long been known to have release point consistency issues and that makes him highly inconsistent with his control from game to game.

Here's a good example of what that with a wide range when looking at his vertical and horizontal release points:

I guess the durability concerns are something that all pitchers have so it is what it is, but I wanted to point that out too as there have been scouts that have suggested he might be best used in the bullpen going forward.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Gotta love the WAR stat. Baseball Reference has Domingo German as -0.3 bWAR player and FG has him as 0.7 fWAR player.

And 1.6 Warp. Always interesting to see the variations.

When it comes to starting pitchers, you have to take the type (i.e. strikeout heavy, or groundball heavy, or weak contact flyball guy) and maintain some context.

I recognize the talent that Domingo German has with a nice 3 pitch mix highlighted by a curveball that is eliciting an 18.5% swinging strike rate and is holding opponents to a .175/.243/.278 line plus a changeup that has a 20.9% swinging-strike rate this year, but I'd be concerned about acquiring him personally due to a combination of inconsistent command durability concerns (already had 1 TJ surgery and throws hard plus lots of curveballs which are supposedly tough on elbows). Regarding command, he's long been known to have release point consistency issues and that makes him highly inconsistent with his control from game to game.

I guess the durability concerns are something that all pitchers have so it is what it is, but I wanted to point that out too as there have been scouts that have suggested he might be best used in the bullpen going forward.

Absolutely a lot of risk involved. That said, for a pending free agent, I'd be fine with two arms I perceive as having high ceilings, that may end up as high leverage bullpen arms.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Size and TJ, I imagine.

I’d take a package including him over Frazier too. Loaiziga + German and you’ve got yourself a Happ. I’ll throw in a Loup (for their loogy need) just for good measure.

He's had injury concern in the past (which is why he was released from the Giants to begin with), and the Yankees are placing pitch count restrictions on him, but I feel like if you're targeting a non-Sheffield pitching prospect from them, then why not the guy that has the plus fastball, plus secondary (curve), command, and repeatable delivery? Lottery tickets like Abreu are cool, but I don't think we really need to try and hit a homerun when we can hit a couple doubles. Get guys (like German as well) that already have the potential to contribute, because the bats are gonna be up soon.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He's had injury concern in the past (which is why he was released from the Giants to begin with), and the Yankees are placing pitch count restrictions on him, but I feel like if you're targeting a non-Sheffield pitching prospect from them, then why not the guy that has the plus fastball, plus secondary (curve), command, and repeatable delivery? Lottery tickets like Abreu are cool, but I don't think we really need to try and hit a homerun when we can hit a couple doubles. Get guys (like German as well) that already have the potential to contribute, because the bats are gonna be up soon.

All the likes. Give me arms that even if they fail as starters are high leverage relievers, and can contribute in 19/20.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Why would the Yankees trade German? They want to add good pitching, not subtract it. If they're moving a pitcher it will likely be a non-roster guy or Loaisiga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad