Blue Jays Discussion: Borucki finally struggled a bit. But it's probably not time to panic yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
Clippard and oh will likely return long shot prospects. Nothing to be very excited about. Don’t forget Axford will likely be dealt with that group as well. Wouldn’t have issue with moving Loup either. We more need Estrada to keep pitching well and Donaldson to figure out how to stay healthy. Estrada if he stays on a role could net a decent return.

Also agreed on pillar although that should have happened a month ago

I was thinking Clippard could get a decent prospect. Relievers get good money as free agents and there's been some overpay at deadline, years ago at least for relievers. Getting their era under 3 would help. Axford hasn't been good. Granderson has been good but guessing value won't be too high.

Do they trade Happ and Estrada and then try and resign one of them next year? Vlad, Hernandez, Bichette, Travis, Smoak, Morales, plus any bats they get from deadline deals isn't bad.

Solarte gives good depth. Martin and Tulo I don't expect much from. Pillar can cover ground.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Yeltsin Gudino finally hitting this year while repeating Lansing at 21 (.325/.400/.381 15bb 4so). Was our top July 1 signing a while ago, and supposed to be a good defender at short. It's not much but at least he's showing signs.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I was thinking Clippard could get a decent prospect. Relievers get good money as free agents and there's been some overpay at deadline, years ago at least for relievers. Getting their era under 3 would help. Axford hasn't been good. Granderson has been good but guessing value won't be too high.

Do they trade Happ and Estrada and then try and resign one of them next year? Vlad, Hernandez, Bichette, Travis, Smoak, Morales, plus any bats they get from deadline deals isn't bad.

Solarte gives good depth. Martin and Tulo I don't expect much from. Pillar can cover ground.
Clippard and Oh both have closer pedigree which always helps. I'm not saying they won't get a good return I'm just tempering expectations for now. Either way for three spring invites potentially being strong trade chips that could net decent returns that's all positive in my book.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Was a very good month for Zeuch and Harris in NH, both who made some subtle adjustments.

Zeuch: 6 GS, 1.27 ERA, 3.53 FIP, 0.96 WHIP, 15.4% K%, 6.8% BB%, .226 BABIP\86.4% LOB, .199 Oavg.

Harris: 6 GS, 2.25 ERA, 2.95 FIP, 0.97 WHIP, 22.5% K%, 2.1% BB%, .282 BABIP\78.6% LOB, .232 Oavg.

Those numbers were accrued against some decent competition as well, which is evidenced in the numbers of the rest of the NH rotation over that same period. I imagine both will be in the Buffalo rotation come July.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Blue Jays have a great deal of heavy lifting to do to get things lined up for the era of Vlad, and counted on Osuna to be a guy who could bring a robust return, particularly since there was a growing wariness and weariness within the organization about his off-season regimen (the Blue Jays had quietly urged him without any success to leave Mexico and work out in Florida or even Arizona.)

.... Kelvin Herrera brought the Kansas City Royals three ‘meh’ prospects from the Washington Nationals last week. The guess here is the Blue Jays would have done much, much better.

No wonder, then, that reports have suggested the Blue Jays were quietly pressuring commissioner Rob Manfred to set the suspension before the legal process worked its way to a conclusion, no doubt hoping that with back-dating to May 8 Osuna might somehow be available to be activated before the July 31 trade deadline, since baseball’s domestic violence frame-work allows for a 15-day minor league stint. Timing is a matter of significance in maximizing the value of a closer but, alas, not much has gone according to Hoyle this season.

So how do the Blue Jays chart this course? They will be in Seattle when Osuna is eligible to return, and then they have a six-game homestand against the Boston Red Sox and Tampa Bay Rays starting on Aug. 7. This is all so complicated, even for an organization that had resolved itself to trading Osuna as far back as the winter meetings. Do they bury him in the minors instead of risking a backlash?

The good news? A player can be traded despite being suspended under the terms of the league’s domestic violence protocol – Hector Olivera was part of the Matt Kemp deal in 2016 while suspended. And, as always, players can still be traded after the deadline if they clear waivers but it’s tough to see Osuna clearing waivers since there isn’t a team out there – contender or non-contender – that wouldn’t take a shot at a guy who is making a pro-rated share of $6 million for the rest of the season and is controllable for the next three years. The guess, here, is that Osuna’s transgressions will be less of a public relations issue in 29 other cities and that Manfred in effect may have thrown his buddy Mark Shapiro a life-preserver. And you thought it was all about Vlad.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Was a very good month for Zeuch and Harris in NH, both who made some subtle adjustments.

Zeuch: 6 GS, 1.27 ERA, 3.53 FIP, 0.96 WHIP, 15.4% K%, 6.8% BB%, .226 BABIP\86.4% LOB, .199 Oavg.

Harris: 6 GS, 2.25 ERA, 2.95 FIP, 0.97 WHIP, 22.5% K%, 2.1% BB%, .282 BABIP\78.6% LOB, .232 Oavg.

Those numbers were accrued against some decent competition as well, which is evidenced in the numbers of the rest of the NH rotation over that same period. I imagine both will be in the Buffalo rotation come July.

Charlie-Brown-Lucy-Football.jpg

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I like how the "guess" is that Osuna would have gotten a better return. I mean... you're guessing that the better, younger, cheaper pitcher with a far more impressive and consistent track record and 2.5 years of control instead of just half a season would get a "much, much better return"? Not really going out on a limb there, Blair.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I like how the "guess" is that Osuna would have gotten a better return. I mean... you're guessing that the better, younger, cheaper pitcher with a far more impressive and consistent track record and 2.5 years of control instead of just half a season would get a "much, much better return"? Not really going out on a limb there, Blair.
Plus IIRC Chapman's suspension wasn't known at the time of his trade, so Cincy was sort of just unloading a hot potato. It's kind of apples and oranges to a certain extent. I'm positive he wouldn't return full value, but I think we're somewhat limited in the comparative conclusions we can draw from the Chapman deal.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Happ just neutralized the Astros to 3 runs in 6 innings without his good stuff. Also gave up 1 ER earlier vs the Red Sox with 10 Ks. If that isn't attractive to the Yankees then I don't know what is.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Happ just neutralized the Astros to 3 runs in 6 innings without his good stuff. Also gave up 1 ER earlier vs the Red Sox with 10 Ks. If that isn't attractive to the Yankees then I don't know what is.

A good return on him would really help us entering the Vlad Jr era.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Should be attractive to NL teams as well considering the fact he's hitting .333 on the season.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
A good return on him would really help us entering the Vlad Jr era.
I hope we target one prospect with big upside (TOR arm or toolsy OF similar in age with Bo/Vlad) rather than 3 b type prospects that you might have to protect on the 40 man soon. I think the system is healthy enough where we can prioritize upside in any return rather than quantity.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The suspension bought us an extra year of control on Osuna (I believe), so just pretend that this season didn't happen for him, and shop him in the offseason or at the next deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad