Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
31920777.jpg

Shaping up to be one of the best books I’ve read this year.

For fans of Michael Lewis, this is right up your alley .

Reactions: GB

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For your deep amusement--

I am reading two books on teaching TEFL in Japan and Thailand. I did it about 25 years ago and a lot has changed since then. I have been offered jobs in both countries starting in Feb 19 and I am thinking about it. I have also been offered a job in China--but last time I was there I nearly got arrested

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
url
I'm on the first saga,the saga of Egil Skallagrimsson.This is by far the best book i've ever read,it makes the Steven Kings sound like a bunch of over imaginative 10 year olds.That Vikings show stole a whole bunch of events from this saga and wrongly applied them to other characters.This saga also makes the writers of that show look like a joke.Athlestan was the king of England not a slave,it's like they put all the names into hat and went from there.Ragnar was from Denmark and Ivor and the rest of his sons did exact revenge for their father.Bjorn Ironside was a Swedish king with no relation to Ragnar.The authors of the sagas are anyonomous.This saga spans fom 850-1000.
Saga's of Icelanders,great book.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach. I previously enjoyed Roach's Stiff, a detailed and often very funny book that focused on the various uses of human cadavers. This new one seems like a logical extension of her explorations, so I thought that I would give it a go. I wonder if Mary is fun on dates.

Published under a different name in the UK:

9781841958453-us.jpg

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I’m interested on your thoughts on this one:
It's a nice quick and easy read but it wasn't really what I was expecting it to be. It's far more a book about behavioural addictions than a specific look at tech and online overuse. It feels like the book was mostly written, or at least conceived of, and then had some talk about facebook and farmville added along with the title to make it seem more relevant.

As I was reading it I thought some of studies cited were presented to favour the author's premise in a way that seemed disingenuous. I've already returned my copy to the library so I can't give any specific examples.

It was an interesting enough introduction to behavioural addiction and a quick read, (I'd have finished it in a day if we hadn't had an unexpected visitor), I think it's worth checking out if that interests you.

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
It's a nice quick and easy read but it wasn't really what I was expecting it to be. It's far more a book about behavioural addictions than a specific look at tech and online overuse. It feels like the book was mostly written, or at least conceived of, and then had some talk about facebook and farmville added along with the title to make it seem more relevant.

As I was reading it I thought some of studies cited were presented to favour the author's premise in a way that seemed disingenuous. I've already returned my copy to the library so I can't give any specific examples.

It was an interesting enough introduction to behavioural addiction and a quick read, (I'd have finished it in a day if we hadn't had an unexpected visitor), I think it's worth checking out if that interests you.

I’ve been hearing more and more about this lately, I’ll check this out.

Any other recommendations ?

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I’ve been hearing more and more about this lately, I’ll check this out.

Any other recommendations ?
Probably My Girlfriend Comes to the City and Beats Me Up if an explicit book doesn't bother you. It has an honesty about it that is pretty rare in books this well written. Both of the Sarah Waters books I've read, Tipping the Velvet and Affinity are both very good. Outside of that, not much this year.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51mgJRk9xnL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rolling Stones Articles from Matt Taibbi. Something that is easy to pick away at , and good for a chuckle or two. Told with a mostly lighthearted, witty and clever humour.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
10967.jpg

This is what I am currently reading. A mammoth of a book in which in typical Gabaldon fashion, has every possible detail. I've had this for a while, but needed a break from the 4th in the Outlander series. So far so good and I'm 100 pages in. Nice change from the Kelley Armstrong YA book I was reading in which literally nothing happened. Normally Kelley Armstrong is one of my favourite authors, but her YA is terrible. I couldn't even finish reading it.

I think after this book, I'm going to read the expanse series. My boyfriend has tried getting me into the show, but I can't.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Did you like a brief history of seven killings? Have it in my to read pile but haven’t made an attempt haha.

I wanted to read it when the Booker 2015 longlist came out so you're not the only one leaving it late
I did enjoy it but it is a dense book. It took me twice as long to read it as I had expected. It was more than worth it.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I wanted to read it when the Booker 2015 longlist came out so you're not the only one leaving it late
I did enjoy it but it is a dense book. It took me twice as long to read it as I had expected. It was more than worth it.

I’ll move it up higher in the list.

Have you heard of this City of Thieves ? I think you’d find it worth a read. Great writing and story so far - 50% into it.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
It rings a bell, maybe from a podcast, but I'm not sure. It does look like I'd enjoy it, thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I went book shopping today and filled my to read pile up.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
220px-Infinite_jest_cover.jpg

I have about 199 pgs left to go in Infinite Jest. I'm not a fast reader, so this has taken me about 3 months to read. My job has been super busy too, so there are many days where I just did not have the brain power to dip into it.

It's a very dense book about a dysfunctional family at a prestigious tennis academy, about addiction and recovery, and an entertainment so deadly that whoever watches it can never stop watching it. Of course a team of wheelchair bound terrorists are trying to get their hands on it and use it as a weapon. It's at times funny, and at times meandering. There are 389 footnotes, some of which are several pages long with sub-footnotes lol! It's been a challenging yet rewarding reading experience and I'm glad I made the journey.

Reactions: GB and stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
220px-Infinite_jest_cover.jpg

I have about 199 pgs left to go in Infinite Jest. I'm not a fast reader, so this has taken me about 3 months to read. My job has been super busy too, so there are many days where I just did not have the brain power to dip into it.

It's a very dense book about a dysfunctional family at a prestigious tennis academy, about addiction and recovery, and an entertainment so deadly that whoever watches it can never stop watching it. Of course a team of wheelchair bound terrorists are trying to get their hands on it and use it as a weapon. It's at times funny, and at times meandering. There are 389 footnotes, some of which are several pages long with sub-footnotes lol! It's been a challenging yet rewarding reading experience and I'm glad I made the journey.

Good job! That’s a serious feat you’ve accomplished in finishing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad