Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
9781860496929.jpg

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach. I previously enjoyed Roach's Stiff, a detailed and often very funny book that focused on the various uses of human cadavers. This new one seems like a logical extension of her explorations, so I thought that I would give it a go. I wonder if Mary is fun on dates.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Writer driving thru, and chronicling, contemporary (Deep) South..
400+ pages, & photos.. I'm about 40 pages in.
23719344.jpg

Reactions: mmvvpp and stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I'd be curious to know how you feel about this one. He's an author I've been curious to try out and he's got a polarizing reputation so I wonder if it's worth it.

Sure I’ll let you know. I really liked his book “Everything is illuminated”, and someone recommended me this. I’m about 30% into it, and it’s thought provoking so far . I’ll give it a review when I finish .

Reactions: GB and Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Sure I’ll let you know. I really liked his book “Everything is illuminated”, and someone recommended me this. I’m about 30% into it, and it’s thought provoking so far . I’ll give it a review when I finish .

Yeah, it's really good? I've heard of people slacking on him, though. Personally, the only thing I've ever read of his was his correspondance with Natalie Portman and he came off as kind of a blowhard, albeit not as much as Portman. With that said, the way men act around beautiful women shouldn't be indicative of much. Most become stupid.

hunter.s.thompson.fear_.and_.loathing.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GB and stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Yeah, it's really good? I've heard of people slacking on him, though. Personally, the only thing I've ever read of his was his correspondance with Natalie Portman and he came off as kind of a blowhard, albeit not as much as Portman. With that said, the way men act around beautiful women shouldn't be indicative of much. Most become stupid. With that said,

hunter.s.thompson.fear_.and_.loathing.jpg

Haha yeah I read the emails between him and Portman. Hard to judge him too much, I would have a hard time containing myself as well. :)

I heard they were going to do a doc on the eating animals book, which was shelved due to the emails , but now I’ve heard it might be back on. I see it’s been released on IMDb and Portman is involved but haven’t seen or heard anything else.

He’s a hipsterish writer which is a turn off for some, but so far from everything is illuminated and the third of eating animals , I’ve been entertained.

Reactions: Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Haha yeah I read the emails between him and Portman. Hard to judge him too much, I would have a hard time containing myself as well. :)

I heard they were going to do a doc on the eating animals book, which was shelved due to the emails , but now I’ve heard it might be back on. I see it’s been released on IMDb and Portman is involved but haven’t seen or heard anything else.

He’s a hipsterish writer which is a turn off for some, but so far from everything is illuminated and the third of eating animals , I’ve been entertained.

They got a film shelved because of the e-mails? Holy crap. :laugh:

With that said, that conversation interserped with pictures of Natalie Portman modelling broodily was stuff for the ages. I think my favorite parts was Foer telling Portman what her own film was about and Portman comparing herself to sad Russian novels.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
They got a film shelved because of the e-mails? Holy crap. :laugh:

With that said, that conversation interserped with pictures of Natalie Portman modelling broodily was stuff for the ages. I think my favorite parts was Foer telling Portman what her own film was about and Portman comparing herself to sad Russian novels.

I guess it was shelved for a time but it’s back on now. I read it debuted and will be released in 2018.

Haha yeah, the ex boyfriend calling her Moscow cause she looked out the window like some sad Russian novel . *cringe*

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach. I previously enjoyed Roach's Stiff, a detailed and often very funny book that focused on the various uses of human cadavers. This new one seems like a logical extension of her explorations, so I thought that I would give it a go. I wonder if Mary is fun on dates.
After reading the book, my guess is that Mary would be a lot of fun on dates.

My next read is How to Stop Time by Matt Haig, whose previous novel Humans (about an alien assassin traveling across the universe to knock off a dangerous scientist, told from the point of view of the alien) is among my most enjoyed reads of this century. So really looking forward to the new one.

Reactions: GB and stingo

Sleemans

Sleep Well Beast
Oct 4, 2003
Kingston,Ontario
Visit site
After reading the book, my guess is that Mary would be a lot of fun on dates.

My next read is How to Stop Time by Matt Haig, whose previous novel Humans (about an alien assassin traveling across the universe to knock off a dangerous scientist, told from the point of view of the alien) is among my most enjoyed reads of this century. So really looking forward to the new one.

I just finished How to Stop Time, and really enjoyed it. Maybe not quite as much as I liked The Humans, but one of my favorite books in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad