Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's his masterpiece. I suspect it hasn't gotten the same recognition/mainstream popularity as The Stranger because it's not as immediately readable and clear as The Stranger and that Meurseault comes across as a more stylish character/trope as the man who feels close to nothing.
I'm trying to savor it. Just finished the first section and am very intrigued to see where this character is going.

Reactions: Amerika

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
md22740397907.jpg

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
Wilson_F14_C.jpg

Lots of behind the scenes memos, photos, anecdotes, etc. from Gone with the Wind.
Large, hardcover book.. has the physical weight of a college textbook. Motherf'r is heavy.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Let me know what you think about this. Looks interesting .

It starts off well, meanders for a while, then throws in an underwhelming and easily guessed reveal. The descriptions of mid-18th century New York are well written, if repeated a few too many times, but ultimately the plot isn't interesting enough nor the characters developed enough to make it anything more than a moderately enjoyable read

It is highly lauded in all the reviews of come across for it; it seems that most other people enjoy it well enough.

20727758.jpg

Reactions: stingo

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Beautiful Losers, by Leonard Cohen. Another seemingly obvious choice that I have never read.
I read that a couple of years ago, I'm interested to read your take on it.

My next read is

41Tbxahk80L._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another poet. Seamus Heaney's District and Circle.

I've been fascinated by Heaney ever since I lost a sucker bet about a decade ago in a Dublin pub. The bet: name the four Irishman who have won a Pulitzer Prize for literature. Easy money (actually, Guinness), I thought: Shaw, Beckett, Yeats, and Joyce. Wrong: Shaw, Beckett, Yeats, and Heaney. At that point in my life, I had never even heard of Heaney.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I've been fascinated by Heaney ever since I lost a sucker bet about a decade ago in a Dublin pub. The bet: name the four Irishman who have won a Pulitzer Prize for literature. Easy money (actually, Guinness), I thought: Shaw, Beckett, Yeats, and Joyce. Wrong: Shaw, Beckett, Yeats, and Heaney. At that point in my life, I had never even heard of Heaney.

This sounds like the geekiest (and I mean this in a good way) bet I've ever heard of when it comes to art aficionados.

Reactions: jacobhockey13

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
That sounds like a great pub. Coincidently Heaney's the first person I remember winning the Nobel Prize.

I'm bogged down with Arrow of God so I'm taking a break to read:

10408011.jpg

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That sounds like a great pub. Coincidently Heaney's the first person I remember winning the Nobel Prize.
I don't think there is such a thing as a bad pub in Dublin. And I tried to go to all of them. Failed, for sure, but it was a decent effort.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You're making me really want to go to Dublin again.
I'm in...but with pit stops along the way in Paris and Maui. Whose to say we can't take the long way around?

Reactions: GB

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

I really wish HF hadn't deleted so many posts before the software update so I could link to you telling us during a review of a Heaney collection.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two). It's been an enjoyable read so far (I'm about half way), but it's definitely much slower and less interesting overall than the first book, Name of the Wind. I'm hoping the latter half of the book picks up again though.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Next up Uncharted: Creativity and the Expert Drummer, by Bill Bruford (my all-time fave rock drummer). This is definitely not the usual "and then I drove the Bentley into the motel swimming pool" rock autobiography. Dr. Bruford (Ph.D, University of Surrey, 2016) presents an only slightly tarted up version of his doctoral thesis on how expert drummers experience creativity in performance. I'm not a drummer, but I think there will be way more than enough here to keep me interested.

Reactions: Hippasus

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51DqcAB1gpL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Kihei: I read both The Fall and Trumpocracy last week. Both were great . Think I’ll have to read The Fall a couple times to take it all in. Thanks for the reviews.

Reactions: GB

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
51DqcAB1gpL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Kihei: I read both The Fall and Trumpocracy last week. Both were great . Think I’ll have to read The Fall a couple times to take it all in. Thanks for the reviews.
Hope you post reviews of each work eventually. Would like to get your thoughts on both. Agreed, one reading of The Fall just scratches the surface.

Reactions: stingo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->