Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part 3

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
The-Civilisation-of-the-Renaissance-in-Italy-resim-706.jpg

Unlike many other historians Burkhardt is actually a good writer which makes delving into the Renaissance twice as fun.

Attachments

• The-Civilisation-of-the-Renaissance-in-Italy-resim-706.jpg
    The-Civilisation-of-the-Renaissance-in-Italy-resim-706.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 3

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Been reading some Anton Chekhov short stories. Anyone else here read him? He's considered a master of the form but I'm not going to lie, I find him really rushed and undercooked so far. Even the hugely famous The Lady with the Dog did little for me.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Been reading some Anton Chekhov short stories. Anyone else here read him? He's considered a master of the form but I'm not going to lie, I find him really rushed and undercooked so far. Even the hugely famous The Lady with the Dog did little for me.
Read a couple of his novels, maybe his only two, and liked them both. Tried a couple of his short stories but never managed to finish one.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
61tbKc+6a8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Story of Tom Brady (& his family's) relationship with P. Manning (& his extended family).
Light-hearted read, not a scandalous tell-all, etc.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
81BoMDQQ+ML._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Used gem I found recently.. a history of Washington football, from its beginning thru the book's publish date (1983).
Told thru biographies of former franchise greats.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
71t+sgOpJ0L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Fascinating read.. it was authored by a man who was in the mall, the same day that Adam Walsh was abducted in 1981.
And he believes he saw the real killer. A man he recognized 10 years later, when Jeffrey Dahmer was arrested in Wisconsin.

Dahmer was living in South Florida at the time of Walsh's murder. And the man (Toole) who was ultimately accused of Walsh's murder, was officially accused years after his death, and without physical evidence (he gave a confession).
I haven't really formed an opinion on the guilt of Toole or Dahmer. But I appreciate the (critical) perspective of a man who was there the day of Walsh's abduction. And it is a well researched account of Dahmer's days in Germany & Florida, that preceded this infamous crime.

Reactions: Thucydides

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
61ex3qkyX2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Pretty basic introduction to the backstory and battle of the Alamo.. the "illustrated" part consists mostly of maps and painted portraits.
When I went to retrieve a cover image, discovered there's another book with identical title..

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Just started American Psycho ... usually dont read the book if I already seen the movie but library selection was slim pickens
I liked the book.. I found the detailed inventory of all his yuppie tastes to be interesting & unique. But I didn't like the movie w/Christian Bale..

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
71kIlC+gdIL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Collection of the old Sub Pop zines.. before it became a record label. Early art & the writing wasn't great, but definitely gained a place in pop cultural history. Good Gen X nostalgia now..

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
My first time in college, I did a lengthy paper on Kant's Critique of Judgment, Lyotard's "The Differend", and this, but didn't actually read the latter. It was on the topic of "sensus communis", the sublime, fundamental differences of opinion, and lack of mutual understanding.
I actually paused this book as my life is too busy at the moment to want to sit and read, and comprehend what she’s trying to say.

Kant is a tough read. I read his critique of pure reason a few years back.

When my kiddos get older I’ll get back into reading the heavy philosophy .

Have you read Euclid’s Elements? (Noticed you were reading an abstract math book a page or so back)

Started “the ringmaster” about Vince McMahon. 😅

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I actually paused this book as my life is too busy at the moment to want to sit and read, and comprehend what she’s trying to say.

Kant is a tough read. I read his critique of pure reason a few years back.

When my kiddos get older I’ll get back into reading the heavy philosophy .

Have you read Euclid’s Elements? (Noticed you were reading an abstract math book a page or so back)

Started “the ringmaster” about Vince McMahon. 😅
No, I haven't read it. But Euclid's Elements is a legendary book in history for its influence of the axiomatic method through to the present (It's probably on par with Newton's Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy and Darwin's Origin of the Species.), but Godel's incompleteness results suggest that even this great method of Euclid's may be inherently limited, perhaps leaving open the notion of intuition. I want to give a 10 minute presentation on this this Spring if things go smoothly enough in the near future.

The other thing is that it's mostly geometry and number theory, since algebra and calculus hadn't really coalesced into self-contained areas of mathematics like they are today.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
61v0IsIDJsL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

I got this one strictly for "English Traits". Which is Emerson's take on England and the English people. It's a section that runs about 170 pages, and is broken in to small chapters.. Land, Manners, Character, Stonehenge, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad