Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part 3

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
New thread.

Just finished Crying in H-Mary by Michelle Zauner, lead singer of Japanese Breakfast, sharing her experiences with her deceased mother over the bond (or sometimes lack thereof) over Korean food

upload_2021-11-20_12-10-14.jpeg

Reactions: Thucydides

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I’ve had the last 3 books of the Wheel of Time series sitting on my shelf since they were released. I figured since it’s in my top 3 fantasy series of all time I should do the series justice and start from the beginning again.

so here I am reading The Eye of the World again. It’s as great as I remember it being the first time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
was it good?
I enjoyed it, yes. I listened to it on audio. She paints a good picture bouncing around from Oregon, Philly, and Seoul. Also covers getting married, her difficulty communicating with her extended family, and a difficult vacation in Vietnam she went on with her dad after her min died. Was only like 6 hours on 1.2x speed, but it’s also a memoir so there’s no high-drama.

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
I read The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master. If you're interested in programming that's the right book for beginners. I study Computer Science in college now. I found coding homework help here. They are pro and can help with homework. I think such services are great option for students who need assignments and want to get good grades.

Last edited:

Antonio Gentereo

Aug 10, 2021
Toronto
Since I started crypto mining. So I started reading the book. Memories of a stock speculator . The book, Edwin Lefebvre. "Memories of a Stock Speculator" is a fiction biography of perhaps one of the greatest financial geniuses in history, Jesse Livermore, telling the whole truth about the psychology of markets, investments and stock trading. In his book Edwin Lefebvre: describes a large number of trading strategies, techniques and tricks used by the legendary Jesse Livermore;

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Since I started crypto mining. So I started reading the book. Memories of a stock speculator . The book, Edwin Lefebvre. "Memories of a Stock Speculator" is a fiction biography of perhaps one of the greatest financial geniuses in history, Jesse Livermore, telling the whole truth about the psychology of markets, investments and stock trading. In his book Edwin Lefebvre: describes a large number of trading strategies, techniques and tricks used by the legendary Jesse Livermore;

great book . Probably my favourite book on stocks. If you like that check out “common stocks & uncommon profits”.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
51S4b1kJypL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Anecdotes about the history, evolution, and personal meaning(s) of Thanksgiving.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
713CBH5Y23L._SX289_BO1,204,203,200_.gif

The development of Southern sectionalism-turned-nationalism, during the decades leading up to the Civil War.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
41Z4afYXofS._SX342_SY445_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Treating the modern mental health crisis, with improved nutrition (instead of always defaulting to meds).

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Just read 'the Gods themselves' by Asimov.

Definitely prefer this to his foundation series.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Purchased the following crime fiction books: Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard (Jackie Brown, Tarantino, 1997), The Force by Don Winslow and The Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage (The Power of the Dog, Campion, 2021). Not truly interested in reading literary fiction right now so I'm just waiting.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Purchased the following crime fiction books: Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard (Jackie Brown, Tarantino, 1997), The Force by Don Winslow and The Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage (The Power of the Dog, Campion, 2021). Not truly interested in reading literary fiction right now so I'm just waiting.

still doing some writing ?

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto

Crime fiction tends to be where I fall back to when I need a break from literary fiction too. At the bare minimum you always know you're going to be entertained

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
51D2PTl2t%2BL.jpg

So far, a good read, although I haven't gotten very deep into it; it's nearly 900 pages, and it doesn't cover even half of her life.

Prior to that, I read Myrna Loy's autobiography:
9781914150814_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Would also recommend, and I had no idea about her to speak of, save seeing the movie the "Best Years of Our Lives" (which I would also recommend).

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Not the most productive year (at least since April) but yeah, I'm always working on something. Will go harder next year haha. You?

Good you’re still going. I’ve actually started back up a little bit .

I received Marcel Proust “In search of lost time” for Christmas , and at 4500 pages I’ll be busy for a little bit. Haha

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
51H11QE833L.jpg

Recently finished a fictional book, set in the early days of the Spanish Inquisition.. thought I'd go back and read more details on the depressing and sadistic facts of the Inquisition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad