Confirmed with Link: Bobby Ryan takes on a couple of beerleague plugs over $100 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You haven't seen very many then lol.

Target shooting dude was bad but closer to most beer leaguers than most would like to admit.

Board work guy was not bad for a beer leaguer.

Beer league is men and women playing hockey for fun. Mostly out of shape and not great athletes to begin with.

Ex-major junior players and CIS players are not representative of what you find on the ice at 9PM on Wednesday night.

So my beer league is above average? Everyone on my ice played minimum competitive with a handful playing junior or college scholarships for hockey. I'm not one of the latter, obviously.

I'm sure there's a lot of friends who played competitive(and junior) their whole lives that get together every week to play and don't invite guys who can't play at a decent enough level.

Some of those guys who played junior can pull off moves with the puck that a guy like borowiecki could only dream of. Doesn't make them better than borowiecki.

People get "better at one skill" confused with "a better hockey player". They are not remotely close.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
So my beer league is above average? Everyone on my ice played minimum competitive with a handful playing junior or college scholarships for hockey.

First yes it is way above average if what you say is accurate. Top 5% probably.

Second the point isn't that, "Nobody outside of NHL players could beat another NHL player in a competition. "

It is simply that pro athletes are so much better than people give them credit for. They compete against the very best in the world and would make almost anyone else look like a fool. ..

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
First yes it is way above average if what you say is accurate. Top 5% probably.

Second the point isn't that, "Nobody outside of NHL players could beat another NHL player in a competition. "

It is simply that pro athletes are so much better than people give them credit for. They compete against the very best in the world and would make almost anyone else look like a fool. ..

I agree. One thing people really don't realize is the strength of these guys on their skates. I could catch bobby ryan with the his head down looking at the puck in his feet and i would go flying while he goes "did someone try to hit me?"

But I'm replying to the people that seem to infer what you put in quotations. The people that think it's so ridiculous that someone who isn't in the NHL could beat a player in the NHL at one particular skill - the nhl player's weakest one to boot.

I know a few guys (that played junior,college, run camps, ass. coach junior teams right now, who are in their early to mid 20s, in shape, on the ice several times a week(and their greatest strength is footspeed) where i would put money on them winning in a lap against bobby ryan. So for me to hear someone think they could beat ryan in a straight line doesn't seem so eye popping to me. Ryan didn't get to the NHL because of his speed. He got there despite his speed. That goes to show you how good the rest of his game is.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
So my beer league is above average? Everyone on my ice played minimum competitive with a handful playing junior or college scholarships for hockey. I'm not one of the latter, obviously.

I'm sure there's a lot of friends who played competitive(and junior) their whole lives that get together every week to play and don't invite guys who can't play at a decent enough level.

Some of those guys who played junior can pull off moves with the puck that a guy like borowiecki could only dream of. Doesn't make them better than borowiecki.

People get "better at one skill" confused with "a better hockey player". They are not remotely close.

That's not the norm. You are talking about very high end hockey players, if you got a scholarship for hockey.

Most guys did not play competitive hockey when they were kids, there's always more house leaguers. There's guys who played outside for fun. People who picked it up as adults. That's more what beer league is.

It's possible, as I mentioned in an earlier post, that a guy playing beer league who was truly exceptional (skill, age and fitness) to compete in straight line with an NHLer but that is rare.

For reference, I played competitive hockey as a goalie. As an adult, I started playing out because I like my hips and knees. I rapidly moved from beginner to "C" level. I play some shinny with guys above that level. I'm ok and do well at my level. I'm in shape. And I'm better than board work dude, lol. But as soon as I play against friends who played in Junior B, I get exposed.

Perhaps you and some of your friends may be at that high level, but I'm sure that most of the guys in this thread talking about Ryan and/or beer leaguers being bad probably couldn't even do a crossover on their weak side or get off a slapshot that wasn't a wormburner (if they didn't fall).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The mechanics of a good slapshot are really tough....especially when doing that at stride. I doubt most regular folks good get a good slapshot off.

But crossovers....isn't that fairly basic? I'm the typical "skates in mud" type of slooooooow skater, but learning crossovers on both sides and backwards seemed pretty standard.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The mechanics of a good slapshot are really tough....especially when doing that at stride. I doubt most regular folks good get a good slapshot off.

But crossovers....isn't that fairly basic? I'm the typical "skates in mud" type of slooooooow skater, but learning crossovers on both sides and backwards seemed pretty standard.

No. Donovan used to coach one of the teams in my kids organization. I was on the ice once watching him demonstrate to the kids a drill. He decided to be silly and did it one footed and backwards. WAY faster than I could have done going forwards with both feet. Just ridiculous.

Also, the retired pro that I played with could knock down ANY pass that was within reach of his stick. could be 3' off the ice or hit him in the butt, didn't matter, within a blink it was on the tape of his stick. Little things like that are crazy impressive when you see it up close.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site

Crossovers, in a hockey stance and at speed - especially on a persons weaker side - is rare enough for an average beer leaguer IMO. I'm sure it's not hard for most people to do around a circle in more standing position like at a leisure skate but not using in a hockey game.

I play C, as I said. Half to three quarters of the guys cannot carry the puck at speed and use crossovers when entering the offensive zone. Most guys can really only carry the puck in a straight line and then go outside/push it inside or curl or maybe pull a basic move.

There are a lot of "bad" beer leaguers that play to have fun. I've been there and I've seen the faceplants lol. Guys on the board who grew up playing hockey and played competitively...I think they forget how "bad" the average person is.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Crossovers, in a hockey stance and at speed - especially on a persons weaker side - is rare enough for an average beer leaguer IMO. I'm sure it's not hard for most people to do around a circle in more standing position like at a leisure skate but not using in a hockey game.

I play C, as I said. Half to three quarters of the guys cannot carry the puck at speed and use crossovers when entering the offensive zone. Most guys can really only carry the puck in a straight line and then go outside/push it inside or curl or maybe pull a basic move.

There are a lot of "bad" beer leaguers that play to have fun. I've been there and I've seen the faceplants lol. Guys on the board who grew up playing hockey and played competitively...I think they forget how "bad" the average person is.

I guess it's all about what folks are comfortable with and how they play. I played mostly D (low level beer league stuff), so I used crossovers a lot going back and forth between the point and covering the center of the ice when following the play, or when trying to direct someone away from the center of the ice when defending. Wasn't pro level skating (obviously), but after awhile you just start to do it without thinking.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Crossovers, in a hockey stance and at speed - especially on a persons weaker side - is rare enough for an average beer leaguer IMO. I'm sure it's not hard for most people to do around a circle in more standing position like at a leisure skate but not using in a hockey game

Are you talking lateral movement here? Skating forward and then moving side to side or are you talking about a curl and doing cross overs while you circle?

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
maybe if ryan spent less time making little trendy movies and more time working down the cellulite on that fat ass of his he'd score more goals than zack smith

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Their is fast, then their is bobby ryan fast.

There is dexterity and then there is bobby ryan dexterity
There is balance and then there is bobby ryan balance
There is conditioning and then there is bobby ryan conditioning

BobbyRyan1.jpg

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
No. Donovan used to coach one of the teams in my kids organization. I was on the ice once watching him demonstrate to the kids a drill. He decided to be silly and did it one footed and backwards. WAY faster than I could have done going forwards with both feet. Just ridiculous.

Also, the retired pro that I played with could knock down ANY pass that was within reach of his stick. could be 3' off the ice or hit him in the butt, didn't matter, within a blink it was on the tape of his stick. Little things like that are crazy impressive when you see it up close.

LOVE Sean Don!

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah well guys I'm actually a former pro NHLer who's played against the best of them and I'm a way better hockey player than Bobby Ryan.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
maybe if ryan spent less time making little trendy movies and more time working down the cellulite on that fat ass of his he'd score more goals than zack smith

I get that you're biased and stuff, but that's disingenuous when Smith was tied for 49th in goals in the league. Why didn't you say Kopitar, Parise, Marleau, Eberle or Ladd? Oh yeah, because even though it's saying the exact same thing, it doesn't push your agenda.

I guess people like Giroux and Eichel need to work on their cellulite too if they ever aspire to be as good as the great Zack Smith! :shakehead

Othello*

I get that you're biased and stuff, but that's disingenuous when Smith was tied for 49th in goals in the league. Why didn't you say Kopitar, Parise, Marleau, Eberle or Ladd? Oh yeah, because even though it's saying the exact same thing, it doesn't push your agenda[\b]

Nah, it's because they don't play on the Sens.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
This. So many clowns on here running their mouth off. These videos are funny and it's cool that he's doing them. What a load of negativity from so many posters. Pathetic. Just pathetic. Go give your head a shake.

And they were filmed right here at the sensplex by the looks of it.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Your beer league is extremely above average.

Sounds like a legit mens league to me.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Your beer league is extremely above average.

Sounds like a legit mens league to me.

Mens league and beer league are the same to me.

We have beer in the parking lot before and after.

In my age group and area of town, all the house leaguers seem to have stopped playing, and all the people who played higher level still love to play often.

I think it's harder to find a 25 year old friend to come play hockey who isn't good at hockey.

All the ones who aren't good at hockey have excuses " I got rid of my equipment when I moved" , "I can't find my helmet it's been years" , " my skates don't fit" etc. Then all the more serious players always have their gear in their car and are ready to go at a moment's notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad