Confirmed with Link: Bobby Ryan takes on a couple of beerleague plugs over $100 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You are the worst. Just awful.

These videos make you appreciate the difference between a professional and Joe Schmo.

I only watched a couple videos but they looked way worse than your average joe schmo. They looked like they've only ever played at the ODR. That guy in the shot accuracy reminded me of 12 year old house-A's shots.

Where are your 25 year old played competitive his whole life and knows how to actually shoot a puck properly.

Why not have a small speedster who played AA his whole life race ryan in the a straight line?

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
What a silly thing to say.

There's more to making the nhl than being a fast skater. There are many fast skaters that are no where near the NHL because they aren't good at much else.

Especially slower nhl players. Anyone who's played decent level hockey has played with some speedsters. They're faster than the big slow hulking players in the NHL.

The fact that so many people in this thread find what you said to be completely unbelievable is pretty funny...

There are lots of junior, college, pro, and former pro's that are not in the NHL that are faster than many current NHL players. Im sure there are some even some on HF...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The fact that so many people in this thread find what you said to be completely unbelievable is pretty funny...

There are lots of junior, college, pro, and former pro's that are not in the NHL that are faster than many current NHL players. Im sure there are some even some on HF...

Meh. I doubt it actually for the most part. Reminds me of a video of this Celtics bench warmer I forget his name it was a really tall white guy he was in the NBA for like twelve years and averaged only a few minutes per game his whole career. He went up against semi pros and other skilled guys who were good but not NBA good and he absolutely destroyed them on one on one. Like embarrassed them. And he was bottom rung of the NBA.

But maybe those guys who played him could beat that guy in a high jump competition though? But honestly who cares the point is that it shows how good a pro player is compared to so many guys out there even if that pro player is a career backup.

HFers who think they hey can hang can gladly share their credentials though. I'd love to see a video of them go against Ryan.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The guy goes out of his way to do something fun and all these angry keyboard malcontents just pile on the garbage comments. Lighten up folks.

Should take your own advice and lighten up yourself. It's just the interweb

Last edited by a moderator:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I only watched a couple videos but they looked way worse than your average joe schmo. They looked like they've only ever played at the ODR. That guy in the shot accuracy reminded me of 12 year old house-A's shots.

Where are your 25 year old played competitive his whole life and knows how to actually shoot a puck properly.

Why not have a small speedster who played AA his whole life race ryan in the a straight line?

Where's your tin foil hat?

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
So this is the thread in which we find out who the fat guys eating bags of chips while watching the game yelling "I could do that, u suck!" are...

The guy that lost the board work vid was "C" level. That's not good but far from the worst. He's about your average beer leaguer. The gap is that big.

Even people talking about university players and ECHL guys....those guys are elite players. Just not NHL elite. How many of you play beer league and/or watch beer league regularly? Most guys were never very good and certainly don't get better when they play a couple of times a week at most. All those kids that never made it past house league...a lot of them play beer league. Heck, a lot of guys in beer league struggle with effective crossovers on both legs.

If we have a guy on this board who played major junior and is under 30 maybe I could see him beating Ryan in a straight up foot race, it's not impossible. Anything else is laughable.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So this is the thread in which we find out who the fat guys eating bags of chips while watching the game yelling "I could do that, u suck!" are...

The guy that lost the board work vid was "C" level. That's not good but far from the worst. He's about your average beer leaguer. The gap is that big.

Even people talking about university players and ECHL guys....those guys are elite players. Just not NHL elite. How many of you play beer league and/or watch beer league regularly? Most guys were never very good and certainly don't get better when they play a couple of times a week at most. All those kids that never made it past house league...a lot of them play beer league. Heck, a lot of guys in beer league struggle with effective crossovers on both legs.

If we have a guy on this board who played major junior and is under 30 maybe I could see him beating Ryan in a straight up foot race, it's not impossible. Anything else is laughable.

lol, yep. That's the beauty of beer league. You get some folks who are playing hockey (or even skating) for the first time, all the way up to guys who played CHL/university level. Quite a mix.

I have no doubts that most folks here could do a better job in the boardwork segment than the beer leaguer in that video.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Yeah none of those guys looked like decent hockey players. First give away was their skating, they likely started hockey at a later age. Regardless the videos are fun, and I enjoy how Bobby tires to interact with the fans

Othello*

Again, he is not faster than a NHL player.

Say what you will but not every poster is 50 years old and ongoing a midlife crisis.
You are the worst. Just awful.

These videos make you appreciate the difference between a professional and Joe Schmo.

Uh,thanks. You guys must be really bad at skating.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Oh oh, my turn to trash talk him! I can so wreck that boy! :sarcasm:

Bobby might be able to beat me at Hockey, but I'm pretty sure I could beat him at chess! :yo:

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I think we should start a HF GoFundMe for the handful of posters who continuously show up every time Ryan's name is mentioned to start slinging insults. We could probably convince Bobby to do a 1 vs 8 with a little publicity. Would be gold.

Keyboard Warriors vs Ryan :nod:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Pros vs. Joes was actually a fun and hilarious show. A good amount of the Joes were semi talented athletes too and still got absolutely destroyed by pro athletes.

FORMER pro athletes. Some of the guys were retired for a good 5 years, sporting beer guts and everything, and they would still destroy the Joe's. I remember an episode where the Joe's had to defend 1 vs 1 on a passing play against Andre Ryson, a former NFL wide receiver. Ryson looked absolutely terrible, with a protruding gut that would have made your average Canadian fat ass quite proud. Ryson still destroyed, absolutely embarrassed the Joe's in straight line speed, it wasn't even close.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
It's a goofy ad campaign for a motor oil company, not something to be taken seriously. Who knows if Ryan even did these in one take or not, or if they just cut and paste certain highlights of Ryan embarrassing the beer leaguers and left out the times they touched the puck, etc.

If you want to see some AA nobody race an NHL player, raise some money.

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I've played beer league hockey with guys that played major Jr and they were noticeably better than everyone else. Also played with a guy who played pro in Europe and a little AHL and he always destroyed everything whenever he felt like trying. Most of the time, he was just happy to chill and have fun. But his wrister was way harder than the best beer league slapper. And if you ever actually got the puck off his stick somehow, he'd just take it back before you could celebrate.
He didn't like to score a bunch but if you simply skated to the net with your stick on the ice, he'd shoot for that and you'd get some goals.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Should take your own advice and lighten up yourself. It's just the interweb

It just strikes a nerve. Everyone hates how pro athletes are unwilling to say or do anything off the ice. Finally have somebody do something a little bit silly and the trolls come out. Just sick of it. It's such a crap mentality that oozes out from certain people. Just the worst aspect of their personalities comes out.

Ok. End rant.

Wait.

You kids get out of my jello tree!!

Ok. End rant.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Meh. I doubt it actually for the most part. Reminds me of a video of this Celtics bench warmer I forget his name it was a really tall white guy he was in the NBA for like twelve years and averaged only a few minutes per game his whole career. He went up against semi pros and other skilled guys who were good but not NBA good and he absolutely destroyed them on one on one. Like embarrassed them. And he was bottom rung of the NBA.

But maybe those guys who played him could beat that guy in a high jump competition though? But honestly who cares the point is that it shows how good a pro player is compared to so many guys out there even if that pro player is a career backup.

HFers who think they hey can hang can gladly share their credentials though. I'd love to see a video of them go against Ryan.

There's a huge difference between beating a player one on one and being better at 1 particular skill out of many.

Example. I know people who have a better free throw record than shaq. Doesn't mean they would have beaten him 1 on 1. Not even close.

Ive been on the ice with NHL players and a guy like Chris Neil will always dominate and score. He shows us how much better he really is than us average Joe's. Doesn't mean there aren't guys on the ice who are faster than Chris Neil for example..

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bobby picked some of the worst beer leaguers I have seen.

Probably to make him look so much better. What gain would there be to him if he picked guys that made him look bad? Of course, if they are playing in a beer league what else could we expect.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
There's a huge difference between beating a player one on one and being better at 1 particular skill out of many.

Example. I know people who have a better free throw record than shaq. Doesn't mean they would have beaten him 1 on 1. Not even close.

Ive been on the ice with NHL players and a guy like Chris Neil will always dominate and score. He shows us how much better he really is than us average Joe's. Doesn't mean there aren't guys on the ice who are faster than Chris Neil for example..

These guys get to play and practice hockey for hours every day, learning from and playing against the best. Of course their skills are gonna be much greater than the rest of us who sit at a desk 40 hours a week and maybe play a pick up game once or twice a week. The combination of elite genetics and training would be just about impossible for any normal person to match up with when it comes to sport specific drills and movements.

The speed and strength stuff though; these guys are definitely beatable, since it is less sport specific, more genetic dependant, and only a % is transferable and relevant to their sport so of all their training time they're not going to be dedicating as much time to it. I'm sure there are lots of people on this site that could outlift Bobby in the gym. I'm sure there are, a smaller portion, but still people who could beat him in a race. And if you're somehow reading this Bobby, sign me up for that challenge :D

That's what I love about the NFL combine, you get to see how everyone stacks up in speed, power, explosiveness...just athletic measures that don't directly apply to football as much as just watching a receiver run routes or a lineman blocking. I've tried to cover a friend who played receiver in University football in the states and it wasn't pretty, all the subtle hip movements and everything just really throw you off if you don't practice and get ready for it all the time.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Bobby picked some of the worst beer leaguers I have seen.

You haven't seen very many then lol.

Target shooting dude was bad but closer to most beer leaguers than most would like to admit.

Board work guy was not bad for a beer leaguer.

Beer league is men and women playing hockey for fun. Mostly out of shape and not great athletes to begin with.

Ex-major junior players and CIS players are not representative of what you find on the ice at 9PM on Wednesday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad