Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Andddddd what does any of this have to do with the topic being discussed?

It's you against yourself here.

lol it's exactly what I was thinking. The point, he missed it, as you guys pointed out.

When I made my post, I had Mark Stone (or Turris last year) in mind and how some players become mostly ineffective when they play through injuries. I have been following the NHL for 25 years and I have seen that scenario happen so many times that seeing it happening to Bobby Ryan is not a huge surprise. It's not the villain a certain bunch of HFers is trying to create.

The obsession with Ryan's salary is the part I don't get. Yes, he makes a lot of money - scoring forwards entering their UFA years tend to be expensive. He's hardly the first player in the league to underperform (until recently) with a big contract, and he won't be the last either. At present, though, Ryan's contract is not preventing us from signing other core players. That might change a year from now, but for the next year his contract is not a problem. Why would you take an asset off the roster simply because you think he "makes too much money"? Melnyk may thank you, but the coaching staff sure won't.

The smart move is to simply ride with Ryan for another year, and hope that his entire year in 2017-18 looks more like the guy we've seen over the last few weeks. Whenever you have a guy like EK65 in his prime you have a chance to compete every year, so let's not take away assets and options from the roster if we don't have to.

Great post. The thing also is that it's the first year where Ryan underperformed for his salary. Every player or almost has gone or will go through this in his career. So it's the 1st time out of 4 years where he didn't deliver in Ottawa and some people act like it's been like that all the way.

You're right, his salary won't be a problem in 2017-18. Impossible to tell for after that but chances are it could complicate things. But one thing for sure is that Melnyk has to be ready to (finally) spend to the cap if he wants to keep the team together. One of the lowest payroll during the rebuilding years and now the team is finally earning more playoffs revenue. He'll have to spend to keep doing that.

That being said, Ryan has to be exposed to the expansion draft. For 2 reasons :

1) If he is picked, it means that the Sens are keeping all of Karlsson, Phaneuf, Ceci, Methot, Claesson, Harpur and Wideman. Particularly Methot who has been identified as a major target by LV from the start

2) if he is picked, it means NO salary coming back, that's 7.25 off the books per year (both salary cap and budget). If we later trade Ryan, a major salary would be coming back (ex : Brouwer, Gaborik, Eriksson, etc)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
a little shout out to Bobby. He had a rough year for a variety of reasons but for those that have been thinking he cannot play effective top 6 minutes his close to the season and these playoffs hopefully are an eye opener.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
a little shout out to Bobby. He had a rough year for a variety of reasons but for those that have been thinking he cannot play effective top 6 minutes his close to the season and these playoffs hopefully are an eye opener.

Time for our 2OA pick to get into their 1OA pick's face. I feel like Bobby's got an extra aggression that we can use.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Not as big an impact as in round one but still did a lot of good things all series and set up the winning goal in game 6. Some big shock blots too.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not as big an impact as in round one but still did a lot of good things all series and set up the winning goal in game 6. Some big shock blots too.

He'll be a key in this series, if Ryan can play in tight around the net like he did versus Boston he will be a huge factor. I don't know if Pitt has a D that can handle Bobby when he gets going, NYR had 3 of them, but if he's an x- factor this series for sure. If he gets going we will win the series

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

Not every impact need to be on the scoreboard. As you said, he made a lot of good thing. It was the same most of the season, IMO. Especially when he came back at the end of the year.

But, at some time, for a player like him, he need to put points on the scoreboard. He's doing that since the start of the season. And i'm very happy for him.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

With a depleted D corpse Ryan can definitely utilize his size this series. He has been really good along the boards battling this playoffs and driving to the net

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Not every impact need to be on the scoreboard. As you said, he made a lot of good thing. It was the same most of the season, IMO. Especially when he came back at the end of the year.

But, at some time, for a player like him, he need to put points on the scoreboard. He's doing that since the start of the season. And i'm very happy for him.

Oh I agree. His impact in round 1 was huge, it was unrealistic to expect the same would happen in round 2. Other guys needed to step up and do their bit; Pageau did his part handsomely, then Stone and Turris really showed up the last two games against the Rangers.

With a depleted D corpse Ryan can definitely utilize his size this series. He has been really good along the boards battling this playoffs and driving to the net
Yup. Pittsburgh doesn't have anyone like Chara or McDonough.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Honestly I've been so disillusioned with Ryan this year it's not even funny. But you know what? Something in my gut tells me he's going to come up big in the postseason. That feeling has no rational basis in anything but it's there.

Come on Bobby prove me right man.

Blatantly quoting this again.

Bless you Mr. Ryan.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
" we're thinking of Craig Anderson's wife every night..er...I mean day"

Hey ... welcome back ... haven't heard from you in some time, hope things are well with you. And how about those Sens tonight? Great game by Ryan tonight. :handclap:

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Nice play by Ryan to score the overtime winner. I don't know if he's good as Silfverberg, but he's having a strong playoffs.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hey, the Sens are 3 wins away from the SCF & they have Chabot & White coming next yr & Brown the yr after. Not bad at all, seems like the organization is doing okay. :nod:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
" we're thinking of Craig Anderson's wife every night..er...I mean day"

Lol what? Did he say that?

Bobby can definitely go all 'aragorn' on this smaller and softer guys on the Pens D corps of Matta, Schultz and Ruhwedel. Meanwhile, Cole and Haisney are bigger but slower guys so he matches up well.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Hey, the Sens are 3 wins away from the SCF & they have Chabot & White coming next yr & Brown the yr after. Not bad at all, seems like the organization is doing okay. :nod:

Lmao all depends on who you ask here I guess...

Bobby Ryan would have had a spectacular game even if he didn't singlehandedly generate all of our goals tonight.

I will stand by the statement that he's out biggest gamebreaking forward.

Hes probably not our best or most consistent forward, but up front he can do things that no other player on our team can.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think some people owe Bobby Ryan an apology after the playoffs he's been having so far.

Or at least some recognition.

Come on man. You know his playoff performance doesn't erase the kind of crap regular season he had. Why are so many posters so intent on serving crow when there's no basis for it?

This is something entirely new, and as one of his biggest distractors I can give him full props, but I don't see where I was wrong until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce