Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
the poster you were replying to is critical all the time. he referenced the ot goal as an example of ryan being slow. just :shakehead and move along
At one point this season this whole thread was complaining about Ryan. Ryan is slow and there is no doubt about it. He will have his bursts which are fine but he can't maintain that through an 82 game season and playoffs.

Why doesn't anyone address why he disappears each season? People only ever look back at the stats and say well he got 50 points sooo he is worth 7 million.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
At one point this season this whole thread was complaining about Ryan. Ryan is slow and there is no doubt about it. He will have his bursts which are fine but he can't maintain that through an 82 game season and playoffs.

Why doesn't anyone address why he disappears each season? People only ever look back at the stats and say well he got 50 points sooo he is worth 7 million.
Lol, you have like 30% of the posts in the this thread. All saying the same **** over and over. Posters have given their opinion on his struggles but you view it as excuses. Ryan is doing everything you could ask of him right now. It is very clear you have an agenda to push, when even now you can't bring yourself to make a simple post like this:

I'm just going to enjoy it for however long it lasts. 2 more games. 2 more seasons. Whatever. We are in the third round. Salaries don't matter right now and I couldn't be happier.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Because not everyone is a wet blanket? Show me one, just one person saying he's worth his contract. The very obvious narrative you're pushing, in the middle of his best play as a Sen in the ECF no less, shows a lot.

Most fans are excited to be watching the ECF where Ryan is excelling, no need to try and convince ourselves he really isn't good in the regular season. That's just a ****** outlook in life in general.

Vast majority understand what Ryan is, an overpaid ~55 point scorer, who also has game breaking abilities.

Most just don't take up their time trying to point it out and convince others to become a bleak ******** like yourself.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
a92fFcA.png

"Yay..."

Reacting to Ryan's OT goal the other night.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Wait, you don't think people have tried to address why he disappeared in past seasons?

Hernia in 13/14, Broken finger in late Nov of 14/15, broken Hand Dec 15/16, Broken finger(s) 2016/17, conditioning issues, personal matters (mother passing away suddenly, birth of first child) have all be brought up as potential explanations as to his inconsistency since becoming a Sen. The injuries, he's typically tried to play through, but clearly affected his game, the personal issues and conditioning is harder to gauge the effect of.

At the end of the day, we'd all like to see him be more consistent, he's clearly got the talent to play at a high level, it's just about what he needs to do get there. If it's more games off to heal up from injuries, a different conditioning routine, or armoured gloves. Maybe it's just in his head, who knows.

Honestly though, sometimes I feel it's those people just looking at the stats who complain most about Ryan. He had a pretty awful start this year pts-wise, but was actually playing quite well. His level of play (not talking about production) only really started to suffer after breaking his finger.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think some people owe Bobby Ryan an apology after the playoffs he's been having so far.

Or at least some recognition.

Or just realize that you can't conclude that a player is finished just because he didn't go PPG in an injury plagued season. Maybe that'd be a good thing to know in the future.

Bobby Ryan has been a very consistent producer the 5 years prior to this season, i.e. ~ 0.69 PPG. In 62 games, at his usual pace, that would mean 43 pts, which is 18 more points than he had in reality this season.

Now, figure that his TOI was down ~1:30-2:00 this season, mainly because he left games very early because of injuries. If he played ~100 more minutes, he'd have let's say 3 more points, based on his pts/60 production rate this season.

So all in all, he produced 15 pts less than he should have. Now, let's not forget that MacArthur was missing all year and he had to play with rookie Ryan Dzingel on the other wing who is speedy but lacks finish (3rd liner). And Turris who wasn't great at playmaking this season. That line had some good moments, but overall they severely lacked chemistry. Ryan created a lot of golden chances (the type that we see these playoffs) but most often than not, had nothing on the board to show for it.

Yes it was a poor season for a player of Ryan's caliber but let's diminish the drama a bit. Considering all factors, it wasn't that dramatic. But that requires to actually think and use your brain, so it's a matter of doing it or not to analyze things.

It was another thing entirely to say some of the awful stuff some fans said about him over the past 7 months or so.

And that is exactly the problem on this board (and well, on the anonymous internet), people go way too far in their "criticism". They don't understand that it becomes pure bashing at some point.

Why the heck do those people think Bobby Ryan doesn't feel like going outside doing groceries? Players are human beings and they are pretty much aware of the vibes they are getting on the web.

Let's be smarter!

I just hope this great play lasts. Seems every time Bobby started to turn it around the last few years, 20-30 games later something else would happen and he'd de-rail for half a season.

Okay but it's way less than half a season. Look :

36 pts (18 goals) +10 in the first 42 games of 2013-14 (70 pts pace)
49 pts (17 goals) +9 in the first 59 games of 2014-15 (68 pts pace)
45 pts (18 goals) -1 in the first 52 games of 2015-16 (71 pts pace)

2013-14 : only 28 more games, 12 more points
2014-15 : only 19 more games, 5 more points
2015-16 : only 29 more games, 11 more points

Gotta love FACTS, gives you a much more accurate picture

I also read in this thread (not you) that he has a "lack of motivation" after game 50... What if it was mainly related to "injuries"? I think it's pretty clear after watching Stone in these playoffs that some players struggle when they are not healthy.

Occam's razor, guys: when these players underperform, the simplest answer is usually the right one: it's probably due to injury. Bobby was hurt and now he's not (or less). Cowen was healthy and then injuries slowed him down. Michalek was good then his knees flaked out on him. Turris was good then he went gumby. Stone was great then he got hurt, and he's slowly coming out of it.

Exactly. So many examples to prove this. And for every NHL team.

I'm not sure why some players are excused, and some others are not :laugh: :help:

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
the poster you were replying to is critical all the time. he referenced the ot goal as an example of ryan being slow. just :shakehead and move along

? Are you using the goal as an example of how fast he is?

Absolute great goal. But Ryan is still slow. A goal doesn't change that.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Hardest part of reading this article is hearing that Ryan had to stop going grocery shopping during the season due to fans giving it to him about his slump.

Its like how ppl on these boards deny the fact that fans probably played a huge role in why Spezza had enough

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hardest part of reading this article is hearing that Ryan had to stop going grocery shopping during the season due to fans giving it to him about his slump.

If the hardest part of reading the article was the first line... maybe it's time to get a new set of glasses, or possibly incress the font size on your computer:sarcasm:

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON

There always be people who don't have enough understanding of respect or empathy to know when to critic and when not to.

Although grandmothers tend to say whatever they feel like (which can be pretty funny).

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
? Are you using the goal as an example of how fast he is?

Absolute great goal. But Ryan is still slow. A goal doesn't change that.

read the thread

the ot goal was referenced as an example of how slow he is

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It seems so simple.

not sure what so simple stylized. you referenced that ot goal as an example of ryan being slow. geez I'd really like an explanation of how you got slow out of that goal?

and to be clear I didn't say he was fast....you said he was slow and used that particular goal as an example.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I am living in Habs land with all my Habs buddies. Let's take a look at their Ryan (Pacioretty) has a great season each year, then disappears in the playoffs. Which do you prefer ? I prefer someone who comes in to play in the playoffs.

Glad I defended Ryan all along, the guy plays the right way, always in the dirty areas and physical. Can't believe some said they'd take Dzingel before him (I really like Dzingel) but you don't replace a top 6 guy like that easily. He got robbed many times this year and people wouldn't burry his great plays, to me Ryan's an important player.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I am living in Habs land with all my Habs buddies. Let's take a look at their Ryan (Pacioretty) has a great season each year, then disappears in the playoffs. Which do you prefer ? I prefer someone who comes in to play in the playoffs.

Glad I defended Ryan all along, the guy plays the right way, always in the dirty areas and physical. Can't believe some said they'd take Dzingel before him (I really like Dzingel) but you don't replace a top 6 guy like that easily. He got robbed many times this year and people wouldn't burry his great plays, to me Ryan's an important player.
But his last playoff performance was terrible. Everybody in the media, his teammates, and the guy who drafted him in Burke are surprised that he is playing as well as he is.

Do you think he is going to play like this for 5 more seasons seeing how the last 4 went?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Its like how ppl on these boards deny the fact that fans probably played a huge role in why Spezza had enough

I have heard many times that we are delusional if we think that. What we say here is not relevant to players mental health.

As I have said before, Daniel Briere once said that most NHL players see a psychotherapist

I believe players would be performing a lot better if they had a clear state of mind. Sometimes, fans are their own enemies. How much longer before people realize that?

It's ok that they know that we are not satisfied with their performance, but it always goes way too far... to the point that they won't go out to do their groceries or that they make a trade request (that end up screwing the team)

Ryan seems to be one of our only player that is able to create offense on a consistent basis.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sharing a post I made in the polls section... That puts things about Ryan's salary in perspective a bit

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=133362277&postcount=62

Speaking of Bobby Ryan, I am finding funny that people say he is vastly overpaid (I think he is overpaid by about ~ 1.25, which would bring his AA at 6.0), I even read several times that the Sens would have to retain 50% to be able to trade him; but then in this thread I learn that 60% of the voters think that Voracek and Giroux contracts are fair/good

Ryan was considered vastly overpaid BEFORE last season and the last 5 years :

57 pts per 82 games, AAV $7,250,000

Giroux was clearly in a tier above 3 years ago but the last 2 years :

64 pts per 82 games, AAV $8,275,000

Voracek had great statistical seasons in 2012-13 and 2014-15 but the last 2 years :

61 pts per 82 games, AAV $8,250,000

But those contracts are "FAIR"... HF... Go figure...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad