Rumor: Bobby Ryan not exempt from expansion draft | Ryan talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
What if we decide to protect 8 players and 1 goalie instead? We could protect all our 4 D and 4 forward ( Stone-Hoffman-Turris-Brassard )

They take 1 player per team, right?
So we are going to lose one of Pageau,smith,lazar,Dzingle or Ryan..

I would rather lose one of them than one of the top 4 D. They are more easily replaceable compare to our top 4.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What if we decide to protect 8 players and 1 goalie instead? We could protect all our 4 D and 4 forward ( Stone-Hoffman-Turris-Brassard )

They take 1 player per team, right?
So we are going to lose one of Pageau,smith,lazar,Dzingle or Ryan..

I would rather lose one of them than one of the top 4 D. They are more easily replaceable compare to our top 4.

That isn't going to happen. I think Ryan is enough to get Vegas to pass on Methot. If Dzingel breaks out as a 50-60 point guy, especially with how cheap he should be on his next contract (See Stone's extension) he is considerably more valuable to Ottawa than Ryan and they won't risk losing him. You have to understand how poor the crop of available forwards to Vegas is when considering how good Ryan (alone, not Dzingel) being available over Methot might look to them. Ryan is still a top 6 player in the NHL, he is just overpaid and has a contract that has potential to become bad during the second half. Vegas is going to have a ton of cap room over the next few seasons, so they can stomach Ryan's contract a lot easier than a team who already has their own stars they are committed to.

I still wouldn't get too excited though. Unless Colin White comes in and looks like a top 6 player off the bat, I wouldn't expect Ottawa exposing Ryan to be a given. Maybe they can try to leverage things and make a side deal with Vegas where they get something in return to agree to expose him. I'm not sure how realistic of an expectation that is, but with how poor the forward corp available is, Ryan would be by far their best forward.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
My question is whose the guy who gets pissed when anyone suggested this. He's gotta be eating a whole lot of crow right now. Put it as his signature and everything

I don't think he was annoyed at the concept of Ryan being exposed. There was a good period during the summer where you could find the expansion rules with a very easy and basic google search yet people would enter trade threads and start making blatantly false statements because or ask really easy to answer questions about the Sens and the expansion draft. It would happen like very few posts "so can we leave Ryan exposed"...."wait why would we expose methot i would rather expose phaneuf they wont take the goof anyways" etc.

Ummm... Generally speaking, a no movement clause is a no sending to the minors clause.
Where else would you move him to?

Think this may be much ado about nothing. Because otherwise, likely every player with an nmc would be in the same situation across the league.

This is apparently the NHLs official list of exempt players who have to be protected that they have made to pass out to teams. So regardless of the reason, according to the NHL Bobby Ryan does not have to be protected. It is Sportsnet reporting this, so I think at this point it would be fair to consider this confirmed information rather than a rumour.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm happy about this....

Always a great thing to have options

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Sincerely doubt that Ryan will be exposed but options are always good. If he is exposed, he's going to get selected. Would rather convince Phaneuf to waive his NMC in order to protect Methot.

Brassard, Turris, Ryan, Hoffman, Stone, Pageau and Dzingel.
Methot, Karlsson and Ceci.
Anderson.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Sincerely doubt that Ryan will be exposed but options are always good. If he is exposed, he's going to get selected. Would rather convince Phaneuf to waive his NMC in order to protect Methot.

Brassard, Turris, Ryan, Hoffman, Stone, Pageau and Dzingel.
Methot, Karlsson and Ceci.
Anderson.
If I had to choose between Phaneuf and Methot I would take Phaneuf. You can literally put anyone beside Karlsson and they will perform.

As for Ryan I would rather protect Smith. Ryan isn't missed much when not in the line up. Cap relief>Ryan's contributions.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If I had to choose between Phaneuf and Methot I would take Phaneuf. You can literally put anyone beside Karlsson and they will perform.

As for Ryan I would rather protect Smith. Ryan isn't missed much when not in the line up. Cap relief>Ryan's contributions.

This post just goes to show how underrated Methot is. No you cannot put literally anyone next to Karlsson, they tried that and it didn't work.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa

I'd take Methot myself. In recent memory Methot has been more successful and costs less money. Nothing against Phaneuf. I like what he brings, I like what Methot brings more when you factor in price tag.

If Phaneuf cost about $2 million less then I'd have a real hard time choosing though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Scenario: We expose Ryan but Vegas doesn't choose him anyways.

Would Bobby resent the management of this team for not protecting him?

....even better.

That would either shock Bobby into pushing himself to train and paly better to be a better player for us, or he asks for a trade. If he demands a trade, we'll inevitably get more for him than outright losing him for nothing in the expansion draft. Either way, we'd win in that scenario.

Edit: While we don't know if this is true or not, one thing we do have to remember....the NHL and NHLPA are going through every contract in the league right now, because so many of the contracts are unique and have their own writeups and clauses. We might end up seeing a few surprises in the eligible list by the time its all said and done.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
As excited as I was when we first got him, it's just never seemed like he's lived up to expectations and he's been here for a few seasons now for us to say that statement with confidence.

He seems like a great guy and I sympathize with everything he's had to go through in his life, but it's a business at the end of the day. If we do let him go, I wish him well

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Getting rid of Ryan's contract could mean having the money to re-sign Brassard when his contract is up.

Bunch of opportunities to better the organization open up with that 7.25M off the books.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Completely disagree. Theres been two or three games this season Methot was our best player, which was before his injury. Methot is our teams best defensive player. He's more than just Karlssons partner.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
Getting rid of Ryan or Phaneuf would be amazing.

I also couldn't disagree more about Method. He's integral to our team's defence and when he's not on the ice we notice it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Scenario: We expose Ryan but Vegas doesn't choose him anyways.

Would Bobby resent the management of this team for not protecting him?

Will players know if they've been exposed? Or do they just find out they've been selected, if selected?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm sure that sportsnet or someone will acquire an internal NHL memo that lists each team's available players

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This post just goes to show how underrated Methot is. No you cannot put literally anyone next to Karlsson, they tried that and it didn't work.
Who was Karlsson's partner before Methot?
Methot is a decent positional player but that's it. Phaneuf plays more in every situation. Pretty much the only time Methot is used is when Karlsson is on the ice.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The only defender who will be a better partner for Karlsson is literally a top 30 defender. For his role, Methot is spectacular with EK. The only thing Methot doesn't provide that top pair is offensive ability but that's A OK until we find a better option or it's gifted to us.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Will players know if they've been exposed? Or do they just find out they've been selected, if selected?

It would be nice if it could be kept quiet, but at the same time, I think most GM's would probably think it the right thing to do to warn the guy that is almost certainly getting claimed ahead of time so he doesn't find out in Jun that he needs to move for the new season.

Presumably, the NHL will treat it like they do trade talks. They'll take some steps to make sure it isn't out in the open until it's done and over.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I still think that letting Ryan go for absolutely nothing would be terrible asset management.

It would make the trade for Ryan look even worse than it already is.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I still think that letting Ryan go for absolutely nothing would be terrible asset management.

It would make the trade for Ryan look even worse than it already is.

Is it?

Because this way we don't need to take any salary back and in today's NHL, nobody would be able or willing to swallow a 7M$ cap hit without sending a similar contract in return .

So if we either keep Ryan, or trade him for a player with similar salary and term, it means that in 2-3 years we will lose one of Stone, Brassard or Turris instead (assuming we keep Karlsson who' make about double also).

If we can trade Ryan for a return like young players/prospects and a bad contract with 2 year term then I'm all for it but if we have to retain or take a 3 year plus big contract then I'd rather just use that money on the players mentionned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad