Rumor: Bobby Ryan not exempt from expansion draft | Ryan talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Ummm... Generally speaking, a no movement clause is a no sending to the minors clause.
Where else would you move him to?

Think this may be much ado about nothing. Because otherwise, likely every player with an nmc would be in the same situation across the league.

Ya, i think this article is a load of bogus.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Haha. I wonder if Vegas will take him. Ultimately he will be protected because Ottawa doesn't have the guts to expose him, but more options is always good for Dorion, gives him an excuse at least to move him because he can say he's worried about losing him the draft.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Just before people go off the rails here. Again I will reiterate... If the rationale is that the nmc means nothing because it's a no minors clause, then that rationale applies to effectively every player with an nmc.
Which then means many other teams can expose their larger contracts who may not be presently performing to par.

So in short, if Ryan can be exposed so too can many similar players across the league.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Just before people go off the rails here. Again I will reiterate... If the rationale is that the nmc means nothing because it's a no minors clause, then that rationale applies to effectively every player with an nmc.
Which then means many other teams can expose their larger contracts who may not be presently performing to par.

So in short, if Ryan can be exposed so too can many similar players across the league.

But the sound of this article is that Ryan has a decidedly oddball contract - no-minors, but limited trade. Most players who have been reported to have NMCs most likely have actual full no-movement clauses, which explicitly means no demotions and *no* trades.

If the wording of Ryan's contract is simply to prohibit minor assignment and to give him the right to name NHL teams exempt from trade, then that *is* different than an NMC. Though the new Vegas team may be poor, it is not in fact a minor league team.

I don't see the windfall here. The talk before this 'news' is whether Ottawa would protect Dzingel or Lazar, so if the theory now goes that they don't have to protect Ryan... do they protect both Dzingel and Lazar? How many more months does it take before people make the same realization about Lazar as was recently made about Puempel?

Vegas *will* draft some overpaid scoring line players if they're made available. Whether they'd take Ryan if he was exposed is debatable, but this thought that they'd pass because of contract is shortsighted. They're going to be taking some bad contracts. That's the only way they'll actually get top-6 talent (and, for that matter, reach cap floor). Because the only top-6 forwards teams are going to be exposing are overpaid ones. And Vegas doesn't want to enter their first season carrying twelve third liners.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah. The article has some interesting names listed as to who has to be protected.
Chicago has their list effectively preselected.

Will make mock expansion drafts a bit simpler now too

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just because he isn't protected by way of his contract doesn't mean we expose him.

The odds of Vegas wanting a player who isn't performing all that well and is relatively expensive are very low.

If he can be exposed the smart play is to expose him since that allows us to protect someone else and the odds of him being picked are very low.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
raw

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Probably a good chance Vegas would take Ryan

People need to understand that there are few good forwards available in expansion. Best Vegas might be able to get is the likes of Perreault, Cogliano and Wilson. Say what you will about Ryan, but he's probably still thought of around the league as a top 6 forward. Isn't nearly good enough to justify his contract, but the contract doesn't mean much to Vegas when they need to reach the cap floor and probably won't be a good playoff team/contender until Ryan's contract is finished or close to finished.

I could see it happening. We throw Vegas a bone in the form of a pick or prospect to take Ryan instead of Methot/Wideman and it's a win-win. Vegas gets their best offensive forward and we get out of that contract and keep Methot.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Vegas has to meet the minimum cap. They need some higher cap guys to make it work.

Hope to God they pick him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Scenario: We expose Ryan but Vegas doesn't choose him anyways.

Would Bobby resent the management of this team for not protecting him?

Sure.

At the same point, have you seen the mock drafts? There is absolutely no way Vegas doesn't select Ryan. They are so weak at forward, and they are one team in a perfect position to stomach his contract if it means getting them a big star.

I don't believe trading Ryan for "nothing" just to get out of his contract is a good move. At the same point, Methot is more important to this team right now than Ryan. So if exposing him is a necessary evil to keep Methot, I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but I could live with it as a necessary evil.

The team is at a cross roads because they'll have Turris and Stone up for renewal after the 2017-18 season. If they get out of Ryan's contract, they can probably keep both Turris and Stone. But the big negative is that unless someone new steps up, with MacArthur conceivably in limbo (we'll assume done as a top 6er), getting rid of Ryan leaves a big hole near the top of Ottawa's lineup next season. Where as, getting rid of Turris the season after that might be far enough in the future that Colin White could be ready to take over as the number 2 centre behind Brassard as he'll have 1.5 NHL seasons under his belt by that point (Dorion hinted very strongly that the plan is to sign him after the college season is over this NHL season).

If White comes in and is really good right off the bat, that might put Ottawa in a position to cut bait on Ryan, even if they get very little or nothing in return.

I will conclude that leaving Ryan exposed in the expansion draft is a lot more positive than trading him for minimal futures if it means the Sens do not lose Methot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad