Bobby Orr Trophy?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I am sort of piggy backing this idea off the Karlson for Norris thread but I wanted to talk about it more specifically....It makes so much sense considering there is a best defensive foraward award that there should be a best offensive defenseman award and we could name it after no. 4.

What do people think? Is it a good idea? or are there issues with it?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I am sort of piggy backing this idea off the Karlson for Norris thread but I wanted to talk about it more specifically....It makes so much sense considering there is a best defensive foraward award that there should be a best offensive defenseman award and we could name it after no. 4.

What do people think? Is it a good idea? or are there issues with it?

So a art ross for defensemen?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
So a art ross for defensemen?

Basically although not 100% down to points.

I just think it would take a little heat Norris so they could actually pick who the best overall defenseman is rather than rewarding guys who have great offensive seasons.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Isn't that what the Norris has become? I think a Bobby Orr trophy is a good idea, so long as it is the players doing the voting and not the PHWA. (sports writers)

Not really no. It just seems that way recently because for the most part there has been 1 dominate offensively minded defensemen.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
If he ever learned how to actually defend than ya it's not out the question.

IF Karlsson wins the Norris this year- and it's a big IF- the world will continue to turn.

People get so antsy at the thought of it you'd think it hasn't already happened twice.:dunno:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
IF Karlsson wins the Norris this year- and it's a big IF- the world will continue to turn.

People get so antsy at the thought of it you'd think it hasn't already happened twice.:dunno:

Just because he won it, doesn't mean he deserves it.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

I actually expect him to win. He has been immense. But I'm just saying that if we had a best offensive defenseman trophy he would get that and we would look at more well rounded players for the Norris.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Yep, call it the Karlson award.......just stop tarnishing the Norris with these guys that dont play defense :sarcasm:

When Mike Green is in the running because he scored 32 goals theres something wrong

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Just because he won it, doesn't mean he deserves it.

Thats the point of the this thread. Karlson has been doing some amazing things offensively and he deserves credit. As it stands the only trophy we can give him is the Norris, which he doesn't deserve considering the definition of the award is...

"defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position"

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
Make three trophies. One for best offensive (Karlsson), one for best defensive (Greene/Vlasic), and one for best (however they decide to judge, most likely the best that win either of the other two (the Doughty and the Keith's).

Honestly I feel like recognizing the defensive stalworths to be more important than making it so the "right" defensemen win the Norris.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
They should make a Wayne Gretzky trophy for the assist leader. The Wayne Gretzky Playmaker Trophy.

That is more needed then a second defenceman trophy.

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
They should also introduce the Grant Fuhr trophy for best offensive goalie.

And the John Tortorella trophy most most offensive coach.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
They should make a Wayne Gretzky trophy for the assist leader. The Wayne Gretzky Playmaker Trophy.

That is more needed then a second defenceman trophy.

How do you figure that? Forwards have plenty of awards to target. Defenseman not so much.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The Norris has always had a heavy focus on offense.

If you're looking for a new award to create it would most appropriately be the defensive defenseman award that focus purely on shutdown ability.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
The Norris has always had a heavy focus on offense.

If you're looking for a new award to create it would most appropriately be the defensive defenseman award that focus purely on shutdown ability.

True enough in this case the idea would be that the Norris could then be for the best all around defenseman if for example they were able to award Karlsson the "Orr" Trophy.

You do make a good point though. There could be a best defensive defenseman award as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad