Blues Trade Proposals 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Buchy plaid a lot of left wing last year. I think handedness of wingers is overrated. And starting to think it may be for defensemen too.
For D men, handedness is actually becoming more of an issue as the game gets faster.
IIRC at one point, the NHL used to have almost 70% lefties on the blueline. Now, it's getting pretty close to being an even split and I definitely expect that tend to continue.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
As much as last year sucked, I think it’s worth emphasizing that it REALLY accelerated our retool. Not only were we bad enough to get high enough pick to select dvorsky (who is I think our top prospect), our crappiness yielded stenberg, dean, lindstein, pekarcik, a 2nd next year, and also vrana and kapanen (who can be flipped this coming season) for basically free bc of in season cap space from the trades. So we went from bottom 3rd prospect pool to maybe top 10 in one season. That is nice bit of work.

Yeah, hopefully Vrana can return a 1st. In a strong D class I'd much rather have a shot at a franchise RD next year than try and duct tape together a playoff push. Honestly, Krug torpedoing that deal could be better for us long-term.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, I think handedness is way less of an issue for forwards, partly due to some forwards like being on their off-hand and cutting in, and offensive systems becoming more complex, where in the offensive zone, it becomes sort of positionless. It matters a lot for PP, but less so for 5v5 IMO.

For defense, with how much faster the game is, I think there are a select group that can play both sides, but a lot need to be on their preferred side. That was one of the main struggles for Faulk in his 1st season over here.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
For D men, handedness is actually becoming more of an issue as the game gets faster.
IIRC at one point, the NHL used to have almost 70% lefties on the blueline. Now, it's getting pretty close to being an even split and I definitely expect that tend to continue.
I think it depends on the player and how comfortable they are moving puck on their backhand. Guys like dahlin and weegar and Brodie have been excellent playing their offside almost exclusively in recent years.

Yeah, I think handedness is way less of an issue for forwards, partly due to some forwards like being on their off-hand and cutting in, and offensive systems becoming more complex, where in the offensive zone, it becomes sort of positionless. It matters a lot for PP, but less so for 5v5 IMO.

For defense, with how much faster the game is, I think there are a select group that can play both sides, but a lot need to be on their preferred side. That was one of the main struggles for Faulk in his 1st season over here.
Familiarity plays part too. Faulk had never really done it. Some guys have played a lot on offside and have that comfort level. Especially with how many more lhd there are (especially among Canadian players).

Reactions: Spicy Panger

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
As much as last year sucked, I think it’s worth emphasizing that it REALLY accelerated our retool. Not only were we bad enough to get high enough pick to select dvorsky (who is I think our top prospect), our crappiness yielded stenberg, dean, lindstein, pekarcik, a 2nd next year, and also vrana and kapanen (who can be flipped this coming season) for basically free bc of in season cap space from the trades. So we went from bottom 3rd prospect pool to maybe top 10 in one season. That is nice bit of work.
It really can't be stressed enough how much asset value we got by moving rentals. Adding three assets of 1st round value, an asset of 2nd round value, two assets of 3rd round value and Blais is a massive infusion of talent. That literally doubled the amount of 1st round talent in our pipeline (before factoring in the #10 overall we 'earned'). Given the way our rental players were performing and the narrative about how hesitant teams would be to move 1sts for this draft, that is a big accomplishment.

But honestly, I might find the way we set ourselves up for this season even more. Vrana at 50% retention for a 7th was fantastic. I'd put the Kap waivers claim closer to 'fine' but he is a decent player. Acquiring and extending Blais at $1M is another nice piece of business. $6.85M for 3 of your likely middle 6 forwards is a good price. If the team D gets fixed and we're competing, they wil contribute for relatively cheap. If we suck, we can flip them at the deadline with retention for more futures.

Army recognized the upcoming market extremely well. I don't see too many similar-caliber UFAs who will be obtainable for similar term/money. I haven't seen any giveaway players with as little risk (or price) as Vrana or Kap. Snagging a couple reclamation projects that can be flipped for futures if we suck at the deadline instead of waiting until summer was a shrewd move.

I'm genuinely excited about the future of the organization. There is still plenty of work left to do, but the response to the unexpected crash this year has been excellent so far. The mandate from ownership was clearly not to tank for years, so given that I think we've positioned ourselves perfectly for 2023/24.

We have a lot of offensive talent in the forward group. If we can manage to swap Krug for a legit LHD by camp, then I think we have a playoff team next year. It looks like all of Nashville, Chicago, Arizona, and Winnipeg will be doing a legit rebuild this year and Minnesota is in cap jail. The 3 seed in the Central is wide open to a flawed team. And while I like Colorado's moves to get Johanson for free and swap Newhook for Colton (and a pick), that center group is still well shy of what it was with Kadri/Compher in 2021/22 and I still don't see the Landeskog replacement. They should be an easy playoff team, but they aren't looking like a steamroller that will easily swat away any and all 1st round challengers. There is enough hope to make it worthwhile to spend money on Blues tickets this year.

But we might still suck even worse than a couple other Central teams that suck. And if we do, Vrana, Blais, Kap, and Scandella are all assets that should fetch some value at the deadline if we decide to move them.

We've given ourselves quite a bit of time and flexibility to make big, long-term important decisions while still giving the coaching staff enough talent to prove that they are the guys to implement a successful NHL system. We still have a lot of work to do, but a lot of work has been done to set up an important season.

Now keep shopping Krug and if there's no takers then use the threat of waivers.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Can anyone correct me if I am wrong but isn't Snuggs a RW? Dvorsky is a C, Buch is a RW and Kyrou is a RW. So who do we have for LW?
Buch played almost exclusively LW last year (until the center experiment). His most frequent wing line mates were Kyrou (RW), Tarasenko (RW), and Kapanen (RW). I don't recall him lining up at RW at all.

Given our organizational depth, Buch is the 1LW for the foreseeable future.

Saad has played LW his entire time here and Schenn goes to the LW when he's not at center.

Neighbours and Bolduc are the top 2 LW prospects in the organization.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
id dump kyrou off for anything of equal value. whether that is NHL players or futures. the fact that his name keeps popping up in these threads means people know hes a weak link, whether they want to admit it or not. you NEVER saw this sort of talk about schwartz or tarasenko when they came into the league. Thats because they were not jokes defensively and actually showed they cared about the team and not just about when the steam summer sale is going on.

you will never win with him as a key cog. its pathetic to think that we are counting on him to be a key piece and do anything meaningful. he will never even be remotely close to average defensively and anyone else stuck on the ice when hes out there will see their game and value drop. look at ROR and others for example when they got stuck playing with him early in the season.

his contract signing last year was a big catalyst for the entire team being sick of his shit too. so many reports about his teammates getting PO'd for a one trick pony who could care less about winning and a terrible work ethic becoming your teams top paid person. hes a cancer just like chris stewart was and should be removed ASAP

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I might be guilty of attributing a popular opinion to a small minority view, but I definitely get the impression that a good chunk of the online fanbase wants a tear down rebuild and/or dislikes the Thomas and/or Kyrou contracts because they can't be good enough to be the small core of a Cup team.
I really like both players. They both have parts of their game that are frustrating but they both have more upside and were amazing finds at their draft positions.

Oh, I'm talking about those here on this board. When we look at other places, I'd agree with you that people want to tear it down and go for a #1 pick.
I would be ok tearing it down.

I think we can do a rebuild on the fly too.

I am less bullish on a quick retool.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
As others have said so well, there's a ton of reason for optimism. Even if we walk into next year with the exact same D-Core, a new coaching scheme might be enough to put us in the playoff conversation. The West is weak and our division is especially full of teams in a full rebuild since we can add Nashville to the list.

And let's say worst-case scenario we are pure butt again this year, we sell the misfit parts and enhance the prospect pool again, looking at being scary by the time the guys we drafted a few days ago make the jump.

Of course, replace Krug or Scandella with Sanheim or Hanafin and we could be back in the thick of things come April or May. lots to look forward to.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Am I wrong to feel very skeptical a Krug move gets done? It's already hard to find teams willing to take on any of his salary and once they start spending cap in free agency I would think it quickly becomes harder and harder.

In some ways it's hard to doubt Armstrong's ability to pull a rabbit out of his hat, but there's also a reason we're seeing a lot of iffy buyouts too. Cap space has that much value to many of these teams.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Buchy plaid a lot of left wing last year. I think handedness of wingers is overrated. And starting to think it may be for defensemen too.
If one has decent enough mobility and above all, requisite IQ and the ability to read the ice as a defensemen at the NHL level, I tend to agree. I always liked playing my off wing. Felt I had better range of motion and made it easier to open up my hips off the rush.

Reactions: Blueston

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
As others have said so well, there's a ton of reason for optimism. Even if we walk into next year with the exact same D-Core, a new coaching scheme might be enough to put us in the playoff conversation. The West is weak and our division is especially full of teams in a full rebuild since we can add Nashville to the list.

And let's say worst-case scenario we are pure butt again this year, we sell the misfit parts and enhance the prospect pool again, looking at being scary by the time the guys we drafted a few days ago make the jump.

Of course, replace Krug or Scandella with Sanheim or Hanafin and we could be back in the thick of things come April or May. lots to look forward to.
If I had to predict where we would end up next year, I think we'll be in the playoff bubble. I could see us just missing out by a handful of points or making it into a wild card spot. I'm not ready to say we'll be top 3 in the division without a personnel change or two defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad