Half-Assed GDT: Blues Canes: I Can't Think of Anything Witty Today, Sorry

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think it's incredible that a prospect only having 2 regular season NHL games prior to his callup has played 14:32, 17:59, and now 19:43, all essentially at even strength. The fact that Bannister has that much confidence in a rookie playing on the 2nd pair with Krug most of the time is pretty wild, and based on what I've seen and what people have said, he hasn't looked out of place. We'll see how he progresses, but this gives the Blues a ton of options on how they want to construct/dismantle their defense.

I haven't had a chance to really watch Kessel for an entire game, but has he actually been effective out there in stopping opposing chances and breaking it out? The little bit I've watched he looked pretty comfortable aside from that gaff right in the slot.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think it's incredible that a prospect only having 2 regular season NHL games prior to his callup has played 14:32, 17:59, and now 19:43, all essentially at even strength. The fact that Bannister has that much confidence in a rookie playing on the 2nd pair with Krug most of the time is pretty wild, and based on what I've seen and what people have said, he hasn't looked out of place. We'll see how he progresses, but this gives the Blues a ton of options on how they want to construct/dismantle their defense.

I haven't had a chance to really watch Kessel for an entire game, but has he actually been effective out there in stopping opposing chances and breaking it out? The little bit I've watched he looked pretty comfortable aside from that gaff right in the slot.
Leddy-Colt
Peru-Faulk
Krug-Kessel

to end the year after Scandella gets traded.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
so did we get lucky or did we play a good game and deserve to win?

Out of all of our UFAs only Sunny makes any sense to extend.

Vrana does not fit anywhere.

Kappy can skate, but he's replaceable with our prospects

I love Blais and I'm glad he's back, but, he has been completely ineffective this season.

Scandella is fine for who he is. But, we should be looking to upgrade or see what our prospects have.
Sunny should be signed long term if the deal is team friendly, which it likely will be. IDC about his on ice stats, it important for team culture and the locker room. He plays the game the right way and loves the city and team, we f***ed up letting DP57 go so they better learn from that and sign Sunny.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Playing him with Krug and not having that pairing get caved in says a lot about Kessel and how much better Krug has been this year.
How did Vrana look? I know he didn’t play much in this one…

personally I thought he looked more engaged and he didn't do anything to draw negative attention to himself so that's a big plus.
so did we get lucky or did we play a good game and deserve to win?

Sunny should be signed long term if the deal is team friendly, which it likely will be. IDC about his on ice stats, it important for team culture and the locker room. He plays the game the right way and loves the city and team, we f***ed up letting DP57 go so they better learn from that and sign Sunny.

We played a pretty even game. It wasn't luck but Binny was definitely locked in.

Reactions: Blueston

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Pleased with Kessel so far. Big fan of stay-at-home, protect the net d-men with size.

He can rush the puck on occasion too. Could be a solid second-pair guy for years.

Good development path. Played in a solid NCAA program, put his time in at the AHL. Should be ready next year.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
i still think kappy could be back on 1-2 year deal. club doesn't want to rush prospects and i don't think any of them are likely to be ready to be counted on next year. like they might get games, but we are going to need vets to play tough minutes until the next wave is ready to contribute. none of this makes kap any good, but protecting the kids is i think still a priority. if we don't keep kap, i expect we will try to find similar vet on cheap deal..
I would sign vets to 1 year deals until they can be replaced, but we need to balance the kids being ready vs giving them playing time even if there are not.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It’s was pretty funny that Schenn scored in shootout after having which a poor game. Hopefully this is a turning tide for him, because it’s getting annoying to watch such poor play.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Well, bannister has been his coach for like 3 years now. If anyone is going to have confidence in him makes sense that it is him. Now I don’t see much in Kessel to make me think he is much more than just a serviceable bottom pair guy, but that would still be nice win.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

I wish I would not have deleted the game. I would go back and play the Schenn game.

The only offensive chance I can remember him creating was near the end of OT when he actually skated and went partially around the D to generate a shot.

During regulation there had to be 4-5 bad turnovers. It wasn’t him losing a puck battle. It was him making dumb decisions or waiting too long to make a decision and the opponent taking advantage.

But let’s all hail Schenn for scoring a goal in the shootout which isn’t even hockey.

Yay for the captain .. good game

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Perunovich and Krug our #2 and #3 LD? Not sure I am happy with that.
It's gonna be after the trade deadline after we trade away all of our UFAs. What's the point of trying to go out and try to grab a stud #1 LHD for the last Month of the season?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well, bannister has been his coach for like 3 years now. If anyone is going to have confidence in him makes sense that it is him. Now I don’t see much in Kessel to make me think he is much more than just a serviceable bottom pair guy, but that would still be nice win.
This is kind of my view of it too. The benefit with Bannister being the interim guy, he's giong to know which of the younger guys that have been in Springfield recently he can trust and in what situation. Kessel clearly has a good amount of trust from him. I think Kessel's upside is a #4, but a 5-6 is a bette projection, and as a 5th round pick, that's pretty good. If he can be the RD behind Parayko and Faulk, then we are in pretty good shape on that side.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Do you think Schenn played a good game?
Up until the point he scored the game winner? I do not. He was really fighting the puck, as slumping players tend to do. But do I think he played a good game counting that game winner? Anytime one of our guys scores game winner, I'll take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad