Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Gophers trailing 1-0 late in the 2nd. I wonder when we’ll see Snuggerud sign a contract if they lose tonight? Maybe in time for Monday’s game against the Oilers?
Notice how he hasn't done much? It's been the same basically all season. I think it'll be a full year in the A next year.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think this upcoming training camp is going to be pivotal for a few players specifically. I believe that Dvorsky could make the roster provided he has a great camp (they won't rush him), Snuggerud will get every opportunity to make the roster (won't rush him either/assuming he signs), but I think this will be a make or break year for a few players specifically. McGing has slowly matured in the AHL, shown a bit of what he can do in the NHL, seemingly has rounded out his game to be an effective 4th liner if nothing else - however this is his last year to make a statement in camp. After this year, I think he will be relegated to AHL vet and will sparingly see callups. He has the ability to be as effective as Walker, he is speedy on the puck, hounds pretty well from limited viewings, but he needs to add an edge to his game to squeak into the roster. With the injury to Sundqvist, this is his last chance to earn a spot.

Alongside of that, this is likely Alexandrov's last chance to make a statement here. He's only 23, but he will turn 24 in camp and he should've had a more positive impact when put into the lineup. He can be a reliable 2-way player as evident in his play from both junior and AHL, but he is just so passive and unsure when he is on the NHL lineup. His offensive ceiling is higher than McGing, Walker, Toropchenko, potentially maybe Kapanen, and somewhere in line with Blais. When I compare him to Blais, I think their trajectories map on similarly. Both have nice offensive instincts and have showed an ability at the lower leagues to be effective scorers, Blais did so when traded back to the Blues but lost his way unfortunately. Alexandrov has the potential to be a 30 point 3rd liner, but he's also going to need to develop an edge and good board-work to claim a spot. I think he and McGing will be fighting it out for a chance at a roster spot provided the young guys don't immediately take it.

There are others in the system who have some more time to earn a spot, but I don't think there is anyone else who realistically has to make noise come training camp. Maybe Tucker, but he would have to substantially improve his skating to even be thought of for a top 6 role. His situation is unfortunate because he is such a nice surprise at his draft ranking and he does have tools to be useful, but his skating has halted any chance of him holding down a consistent spot.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Alongside of that, this is likely Alexandrov's last chance to make a statement here. He's only 23, but he will turn 24 in camp and he should've had a more positive impact when put into the lineup. He can be a reliable 2-way player as evident in his play from both junior and AHL, but he is just so passive and unsure when he is on the NHL lineup. His offensive ceiling is higher than McGing, Walker, Toropchenko, potentially maybe Kapanen, and somewhere in line with Blais. When I compare him to Blais, I think their trajectories map on similarly. Both have nice offensive instincts and have showed an ability at the lower leagues to be effective scorers, Blais did so when traded back to the Blues but lost his way unfortunately. Alexandrov has the potential to be a 30 point 3rd liner, but he's also going to need to develop an edge and good board-work to claim a spot. I think he and McGing will be fighting it out for a chance at a roster spot provided the young guys don't immediately take it.
As the strongest supporter of Alexandrov on this hoard, I've been wanting to post about his (non)development. He had the proverbial golden opportunity and has frittered it away. His board work is non-existent and he shies away from contact. On top of that his FOW% is not not up to snuff. He is soft and belongs in the AHL. Nikita Alexandrov does not have the guts to play in the NHL.

Schade.

Reactions: ezcreepin

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
As the strongest supporter of Alexandrov on this hoard, I've been wanting to post about his (non)development. He had the proverbial golden opportunity and has frittered it away. His board work is non-existent and he shies away from contact. On top of that his FOW% is not not up to snuff. He is soft and belongs in the AHL. Nikita Alexandrov does not have the guts to play in the NHL.

Schade.
I know man, I was real excited for him the past couple seasons to come up and prove himself. His first callup that was 20+ games where he got a few points I think was a nice stepping stone for him, and although he wasn't controlling play or using an effective 2-way consistently, I figured that it was enough for him to understand what he has to do to earn a spot. Since then, all he has done is been disappointing on both sides of the puck. Not enough offensive awareness to move up the lineup to play to strengths more, not enough defensive awareness and willingness to be a cornerstone 3rd/4th line guy. He has the tools to be a 3rd liner, that I'm confident in, but he just don't have that gumption.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So Graf is down to 6 teams from 25 and had a zoom call with those 6 teams. I guess we find out today.

Aren't the Preds favored as he went to their development camp last year? What would make him consider us? We have RH wing in Kyrou and another in Snuggy coming up. So there won't be a PP spot for him as a RH trigger man. We aren't a destination city. We aren't a contender or an up and comer. We don't have a favorable tax situation.

I wouldn't hold your breath we sign him unless there is something I don't know that ties him to us. There is no combo of 25 NHL teams that would have us as the top option for the average college player entering pros.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Aren't the Preds favored as he went to their development camp last year? What would make him consider us? We have RH wing in Kyrou and another in Snuggy coming up. So there won't be a PP spot for him as a RH trigger man. We aren't a destination city. We aren't a contender or an up and comer. We don't have a favorable tax situation.

I wouldn't hold your breath we sign him unless there is something I don't know that ties him to us. There is no combo of 25 NHL teams that would have us as the top option for the average college player entering pros.
Odds are against us, but he could get playing time here. Snuggy isn’t guaranteed anything until he earns it.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Jacob Quillan signs with the Leafs and Snuggy’s former teammate Jaxon Nelson signs with the Bruins.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Fairly surprised here. Wonder if we'll get any additional context as to why.

We have his rights until 2026

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
not thrilled with today's snuggy news. he had fairly disappointing season, particularly 2nd half. he doesn't seem ready for nhl. however, with any college prospect once they go back for junior year you start to get nervous as to whether they will sign with drafting club. how worried should we be?
I'd highly doubt he stays a fourth year unless he has a realllly bad year.

Fairly surprised here. Wonder if we'll get any additional context as to why.

We have his rights until 2026
Because he's not ready for the next level.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
not thrilled with today's snuggy news. he had fairly disappointing season, particularly 2nd half. he doesn't seem ready for nhl. however, with any college prospect once they go back for junior year you start to get nervous as to whether they will sign with drafting club. how worried should we be?

My thoughts exactly. I don't think he's ready. But I'd rather he signed for the AHL. I'd be fine burning an ELC year for better development and guarantee he doesn't stay 4 years for UFA

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I'd highly doubt he stays a fourth year unless he has a realllly bad year.

Because he's not ready for the next level.
Is the thought that he's going to play off Moore's flank? I really don't think those two gel very well, and can't see it getting a whole lot better. Feels fairly high risk for a stagnation year. I know he played with Nelson, too, but he's graduated, correct?

Overall...I think it makes sense, but from a purely developmental standpoint, I would've rather him be in the AHL given the type of game he plays. Not to mention that I'm now questioning how deep and unbending his Minnesota ties are. A little tin-foily...but SOOOO many NCAA players have signed in far more 'raw' condition than Snuggerud.

EDIT: New comments he references Faber coming back for JR year and wanting to follow that path. That's a helluva mold to follow, so credit to him for recognizing he's got work to do and his willingness to come back as a leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: LGB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad