Prospect Info: Blues 2022-2023 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Found my notes from Sweden u18 and feel relevant today:

Sweden U18 thoughts-

sweden and us were by far the 2 best teams. they dominated tournament. the americans had the most offensive firepower, but the 3 best d i saw in the tourney were all swedish. and i don't think it was close. all 3 look like 1st rounders to me. and their other d all looked farily good too and might be worth mid round pick. but its ASP, lindstein, and willander that really shone.

ASP is probably the best of the bunch today, but his size remains a concern. it's not just height, it's frame. he is maybe 5'11 but he is thin. he looks willing to engage physically but i question how he will hold up at that. he has offensive skill but maybe not high end. i think he will be good nhl player but one whose usage you may need to manage. i think i would take him in 20s but suspect someone else is more bullish on him and he goes higher.

lindstein i really like. he is such a smart player. more defensive than offensive, but has great mobility and excels in transition. think better defending nick leddy. i think he plays in all situations, but probably not much pp time. that will brand him as 2nd pairing guy and hurt his draft stock, which means someone could get excellent value. i haven't seen the russians, but have seen at least some game action of most every other d prospect rumored to go in first couple rounds. to me, lindstein is clearly the best lhd in this draft. i think i would take him anytime after 20 but would listen to argument he should be higher..

Willander is guy who has really grown on me. he was exceptional in this tourney. smooth skater, good escapability, physical edge- he looks like prototypical modern defenseman. i'm not saying he will be as good as heiskanen or mcavoy, but i've come around that he may have most upside of any d in this draft. his offense seems only limited by his swedishness- playing bit conservatively at times. he will be at BU next year and teaming with lane hutson should help him tap into that offensive potential. i think his stock is rising and i don't think he will be there with one of our later picks. this won't be popular opinion in forum, but i don't know that i would pass on him with our own 1st.

the forwards are not quite as exciting, as i don't see liekly 1st line upside in any, but some intriguing middle 6 guys. stenberg looks like clear 1st rounder. i think i would be happy with him after 20. speed and skill, decent size. can play c or wing. showed vision and skill. edstrom looks really interesting. big center, some skill, maybe 2nd line upside. i honestly think he is as good as danielson (as i said elsewhere earlier). feel like he would be good pick starting at about 20 too. wahlberg, big center, flashed good speed, some skill (less than the 2 i mentioned above i think). feels like a early-mid 2nd rounder. there were other forwards that kinda run together to me that i think would be worth a look starting round 3.
I think you nailed it!

This prompted me to dig as well and look for what I wrote after the US-Sweden gold medal game:

Lindstien, I hadn’t followed much before this tourney. I’d rate him as a late 1st rounder now. Super solid defensively. Not really seeing why most rankings have him as a borderline 2nd-3rd round guy but wouldn’t be surprised to see him shoot up the rankings as they’re finalized. What stinks for him is Brynas got relegated so he’ll be moving to the Allsvenskan from the SHL next season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Stenberg goes top-15. Would now be surprised if he doesn’t go in the 1st.
All in all, I’m happy with the draft and look forward to seeing how these guys match up with our other top prospects starting tomorrow. Hopefully the camp will be streamed like it was last year.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Found my notes from Sweden u18 and feel relevant today:

Sweden U18 thoughts-

sweden and us were by far the 2 best teams. they dominated tournament. the americans had the most offensive firepower, but the 3 best d i saw in the tourney were all swedish. and i don't think it was close. all 3 look like 1st rounders to me. and their other d all looked farily good too and might be worth mid round pick. but its ASP, lindstein, and willander that really shone.

ASP is probably the best of the bunch today, but his size remains a concern. it's not just height, it's frame. he is maybe 5'11 but he is thin. he looks willing to engage physically but i question how he will hold up at that. he has offensive skill but maybe not high end. i think he will be good nhl player but one whose usage you may need to manage. i think i would take him in 20s but suspect someone else is more bullish on him and he goes higher.

lindstein i really like. he is such a smart player. more defensive than offensive, but has great mobility and excels in transition. think better defending nick leddy. i think he plays in all situations, but probably not much pp time. that will brand him as 2nd pairing guy and hurt his draft stock, which means someone could get excellent value. i haven't seen the russians, but have seen at least some game action of most every other d prospect rumored to go in first couple rounds. to me, lindstein is clearly the best lhd in this draft. i think i would take him anytime after 20 but would listen to argument he should be higher..

Willander is guy who has really grown on me. he was exceptional in this tourney. smooth skater, good escapability, physical edge- he looks like prototypical modern defenseman. i'm not saying he will be as good as heiskanen or mcavoy, but i've come around that he may have most upside of any d in this draft. his offense seems only limited by his swedishness- playing bit conservatively at times. he will be at BU next year and teaming with lane hutson should help him tap into that offensive potential. i think his stock is rising and i don't think he will be there with one of our later picks. this won't be popular opinion in forum, but i don't know that i would pass on him with our own 1st.

the forwards are not quite as exciting, as i don't see liekly 1st line upside in any, but some intriguing middle 6 guys. stenberg looks like clear 1st rounder. i think i would be happy with him after 20. speed and skill, decent size. can play c or wing. showed vision and skill. edstrom looks really interesting. big center, some skill, maybe 2nd line upside. i honestly think he is as good as danielson (as i said elsewhere earlier). feel like he would be good pick starting at about 20 too. wahlberg, big center, flashed good speed, some skill (less than the 2 i mentioned above i think). feels like a early-mid 2nd rounder. there were other forwards that kinda run together to me that i think would be worth a look starting round 3.
Great write up.

USNTDP will be hosting the Summer show case this year. It is great pre WJC tourny, with SWE, FIN (and usually Canada, but not this year) coming to play the US team (they have a blue and a white). It is held in August.

I usually go and watch, but this year I can't. We will be on vacation.... AAAAHHHHGGGG, but practices are open so I may head up to watch with my son. (Especially with 2 Swedes on the team, Snuggs and Fischer).

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I am starting to think that Bolduc will be dealt over next year. As our system has gotten significantly deeper, he is really the only one of our top prospects that doesn’t play the way that we want to play. All the others are more in the steen/perron/ROR/Schwartz mold that was and should again be our identity. Bolduc has made real strides but I don’t know that he will ever be puck hound.

And I know that kyrou and Thomas haven’t always been in that mold, but I think that is much of what we expect from them going forward. And they have it in them to do it if so inclined. Whether they do will in part determine how far we have to go to be contenders.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I am starting to think that Bolduc will be dealt over next year. As our system has gotten significantly deeper, he is really the only one of our top prospects that doesn’t play the way that we want to play. All the others are more in the steen/perron/ROR/Schwartz mold that was and should again be our identity. Bolduc has made real strides but I don’t know that he will ever be puck hound.

And I know that kyrou and Thomas haven’t always been in that mold, but I think that is much of what we expect from them going forward. And they have it in them to do it if so inclined. Whether they do will in part determine how far we have to go to be contenders.
You may very well be right about this, and he would certainly still be one of our most valuable trade chips, but even during the Hitch-to-Berube era we had Tarasenko in a role that more or less bucked the "defensively responsible" trend. A team will always need finishers and he fits that description. If we go "Big Game Hunting" on D, Kyrou is almost certainly in the crosshairs of our trade partner as the piece to get a true 1LD. Maybe not next year or even the year after that, but if you have to move Kyrou to fill that need, you need guys like Bolduc and Snuggy that can put the puck in the net to replace him on entry level and bridge deal prices.

Another element of this is that the NHL has been a copycat league for a long time. We've moved over the course of the last few years from a heavy, possession-oriented team to a faster, more rush-oriented team because that is where the league was headed. As with most things in life, the optimum probably lies somewhere in the middle, so you will need guys like Bolduc to compliment the way Thomas and Kyrou play as well as guys like DD and Stenberg to compliment guys like Saad and Schenn and provide the next generation of possession-oriented play. We saw up until the successful Cup run in 2019 what it looks like when you focus too much of your identity on heavy, cycle play when the league is trending faster, and recently when you focus too much on rush play if your team isn't quite built for it yet.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

He's probably the most likely of the valuable prospects, but a lot will depend on his play this year in Springfield or even his camp this year.

If we were to target a younger LD that we can fit into our current cap structure, Bolduc is the one that I'd see being moved. That's really the only thing I'd move him for though. If we are able to move Krug and are looking at Sanheim again, I would not put Bolduc on the table.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You may very well be right about this, and he would certainly still be one of our most valuable trade chips, but even during the Hitch-to-Berube era we had Tarasenko in a role that more or less bucked the "defensively responsible" trend. A team will always need finishers and he fits that description. If we go "Big Game Hunting" on D, Kyrou is almost certainly in the crosshairs of our trade partner as the piece to get a true 1LD. Maybe not next year or even the year after that, but if you have to move Kyrou to fill that need, you need guys like Bolduc and Snuggy that can put the puck in the net to replace him on entry level and bridge deal prices.

Another element of this is that the NHL has been a copycat league for a long time. We've moved over the course of the last few years from a heavy, possession-oriented team to a faster, more rush-oriented team because that is where the league was headed. As with most things in life, the optimum probably lies somewhere in the middle, so you will need guys like Bolduc to compliment the way Thomas and Kyrou play as well as guys like DD and Stenberg to compliment guys like Saad and Schenn and provide the next generation of possession-oriented play. We saw up until the successful Cup run in 2019 what it looks like when you focus too much of your identity on heavy, cycle play when the league is trending faster, and recently when you focus too much on rush play if your team isn't quite built for it yet.
to me it's not just whether they play heavy game. tank played a heavy game moreso than schwartz. it's i think more about relentlessness, hounding pucks, being tough to play against. there is place for cycle and a place for rush offense, but i don't think we want to be passive in any zone and last year we were. the guys we picked (and snuggy and neighbours and dean) i think fit that mold much better than bolduc.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I always see Bolduc as a throw in on Blues fans trade proposals. Id love to keep him and watch him develop. He has a Tarasenko like release and shot and both being lefties Look similar. His left shot and Snuggs right shot will be a deadly combo for a long time. Very high on both of them.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues defensive pipeline LHD / RHD:

Tyler Tucker / Matt Kessel
Scott Perunovich / Hunter Skinner
Theo Lindstein
Michael Buchinger
Leo Loof
Mark-Andre Gaudet
Arseni Koromyslov
Quenton Burns
Anton Malmstrom
Noah Beck
Tyson Galloway
Paul Fisher
Matt Mayich

Hopefully there are a couple of winning lottery tickets in that pile. I'm eager to see Buchinger and Loof next year in the AHL; aside from Tucker and Perunovich who are both NHL-contributors at this point, I figure those two are the next closest to helping - in '24-'25.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Blues defensive pipeline LHD / RHD:

Tyler Tucker / Matt Kessel
Scott Perunovich / Hunter Skinner
Theo Lindstein
Michael Buchinger
Leo Loof
Mark-Andre Gaudet
Arseni Koromyslov
Quenton Burns
Anton Malmstrom
Noah Beck
Tyson Galloway
Paul Fisher
Matt Mayich

Hopefully there are a couple of winning lottery tickets in that pile. I'm eager to see Buchinger and Loof next year in the AHL; aside from Tucker and Perunovich who are both NHL-contributors at this point, I figure those two are the next closest to helping - in '24-'25.
we don't have galloway's rights any more.

is there any concern that Robertson won’t sign?
i don't think they make enough $ in sweden that this would be a concern. the question would be does he progress to the point that we would sign him. i assume he will. we have another approximately 2 years, i believe.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't think they'll be traded as prospects, none of them really have much value, and currently none are really blocked either. Buchinger will be in juniors again, Perunovich/Tucker could either both be with the big club or at least one will. Malmstrom is another though.

I do think Perunovich's future is basically determined this year. He's either in the top 6 next season, or he's gone. If after 1-2 seasons, we have a bunch of these guys in the pros or ready for the jump, then we could see a move, once their value is decent enough. That's basically what Army did when it came to the RD, Rundblad an exception, but he was a big-time prospect, not a mid-round guy. I'm not worried about being overloaded on the left. If a bunch of them do develop and does create a logjam, then we'll have valuable assets to move. And if none of them develop into a pro, then we were never overloaded to begin with. And by the time some of the younger ones are ready Springfield, some of them will already be aged out.

I could see one of them or a forward use in a trade to acquire a NHL top 4 LD, if we are able to move Krug.
I hope not, but it feels like the inevitable ending will be for Perunovich to get hurt or blocked by depth and end up traded to Detroit for a kindness, then prove to be a legit NHL player.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I hope not, but it feels like the inevitable ending will be for Perunovich to get hurt or blocked by depth and end up traded to Detroit for a kindness, then prove to be a legit NHL player.
Perunovoch needs to stay healthy and blocked by depth for a full season before I'd consider honoring a trade request. We have his rights for 3 more years and he's never given us a healthy season. It's completely fair to tell him that he needs to get blocked by depth for a full year before we move him as a kindness. I fully expect us to gold onto until we get out of Krug's deal and can more easily give him an NHL look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad