Prospect Info: Blues 2022-2023 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Who's better Gaudet or buchinger?

Off-topic, but I think Arseni Koromyslov could end up as a better all-around defenseman (nothing against Buchinger's or Gaudet's defense, but I do believe that Koromyslov was better than both of them defensively) who has solid puck moving skills...if he ever gets out of Russia. That might be a problem, given that he's already with the professional KHL team (started 29 games there), but I'd absolutely love it if he came over.

Add in Leo Loof (one of my favorite draft picks in recent years), Noah Beck (great career at Clarkson), and Anton Malmstrom (along with Scott Perunovich, Tyler Tucker, and Dmitri Samorukov), and we are absolutely loaded with young left-handed defensemen. It's just a matter of finding a young left-handed defenseman (K'Andre Miller is my dream, even though I know it's probably not realistic.) to be on the top pairing, possibly hoping we hit on a right-handed prospect in this draft (I like Matt Kessel, but I think he's more of a bottom-two defenseman) in case Parayko or Faulk falter, and trimming the fat of the defensive roster (i.e., Krug, Scandella, possibly Leddy next year when Buchinger/Gaudet/Loof/Koromyslov/Tucker/Beck/Perunovich compete for spots.)

Reactions: Fez Whatley

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Off-topic, but I think Arseni Koromyslov could end up as a better all-around defenseman (nothing against Buchinger's or Gaudet's defense, but I do believe that Koromyslov was better than both of them defensively) who has solid puck moving skills...if he ever gets out of Russia. That might be a problem, given that he's already with the professional KHL team (started 29 games there), but I'd absolutely love it if he came over.

Add in Leo Loof (one of my favorite draft picks in recent years), Noah Beck (great career at Clarkson), and Anton Malmstrom (along with Scott Perunovich, Tyler Tucker, and Dmitri Samorukov), and we are absolutely loaded with young left-handed defensemen. It's just a matter of finding a young left-handed defenseman (K'Andre Miller is my dream, even though I know it's probably not realistic.) to be on the top pairing, possibly hoping we hit on a right-handed prospect in this draft (I like Matt Kessel, but I think he's more of a bottom-two defenseman) in case Parayko or Faulk falter, and trimming the fat of the defensive roster (i.e., Krug, Scandella, possibly Leddy next year when Buchinger/Gaudet/Loof/Koromyslov/Tucker/Beck/Perunovich compete for spots.)
I'm definitely excited for our defensive prospects, but I'm not nearly as high on them as others around here. I think 4 of them have a chance to be NHL players, but all in the same capacity ie 2nd or 3rd pairing guys. I think the highest potential of any of them at this second is Perunovich obviously because he's demonstrated an ability to play with NHL players at a high level, or at least offensively. Now we can argue whether or not Tucker or Perunovich is the better player when comparing their games wholistically, but at best I think they're 2nd pairing guys. I think Buchinger has a chance to develop into a top pairing guy BUT not a number 1 or number 2, if that makes sense. He has clear ability offensively and I haven't heard anything about him being a major liability, but he's never played in a pro league so that's where I stand on him.

I think Beck is an interesting prospect because he put up nearly identical numbers in back to back years with a weaker team offensively. I haven't watched video on him so my knowledge of his defending is lacking, but he feels like the kind of player you only call up when you're decimated by injuries. Gaudet played really well after the trade and I believe played a larger role(?). Less dynamic offensively but is likely better defensively than Buchinger in general. Does that mean he's an NHL'er? Idk, it feels like his riding that edge between 2nd pairing talent and Matthew Kessel-maybe-or-maybe-not vibes.

Loof projects as like a Bortuzzo replacement as a tough defender who can eat up 16 minutes for you, but I can't say if his offense ever explodes and he develops into a top 4 guy. If he blocks and hits, then he'll be a useful NHL guy. Koromyslov is the one I know the least about obviously, but he has the biggest upside to surprise. Played in the KHL as a young guy on a very competitive team, or at least in terms of money and influence. He doesn't strike me as a 2nd pairing guy since his offense is extremely limited (could've been playing time), but I think he could have a chance as a 3rd pairing defenseman if he comes over.

So if I'm being charitable to the guys we have, I think we have two 2nd pairing guys, maybe three 3rd paring guys, and then a tweener. If you want to say that's fine because we have more assets, then sure I'll agree with you all the way, but in terms of overall potential, I don't see a ton of value there.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm definitely excited for our defensive prospects, but I'm not nearly as high on them as others around here. I think 4 of them have a chance to be NHL players, but all in the same capacity ie 2nd or 3rd pairing guys. I think the highest potential of any of them at this second is Perunovich obviously because he's demonstrated an ability to play with NHL players at a high level, or at least offensively. Now we can argue whether or not Tucker or Perunovich is the better player when comparing their games wholistically, but at best I think they're 2nd pairing guys. I think Buchinger has a chance to develop into a top pairing guy BUT not a number 1 or number 2, if that makes sense. He has clear ability offensively and I haven't heard anything about him being a major liability, but he's never played in a pro league so that's where I stand on him.

I think Beck is an interesting prospect because he put up nearly identical numbers in back to back years with a weaker team offensively. I haven't watched video on him so my knowledge of his defending is lacking, but he feels like the kind of player you only call up when you're decimated by injuries. Gaudet played really well after the trade and I believe played a larger role(?). Less dynamic offensively but is likely better defensively than Buchinger in general. Does that mean he's an NHL'er? Idk, it feels like his riding that edge between 2nd pairing talent and Matthew Kessel-maybe-or-maybe-not vibes.

Loof projects as like a Bortuzzo replacement as a tough defender who can eat up 16 minutes for you, but I can't say if his offense ever explodes and he develops into a top 4 guy. If he blocks and hits, then he'll be a useful NHL guy. Koromyslov is the one I know the least about obviously, but he has the biggest upside to surprise. Played in the KHL as a young guy on a very competitive team, or at least in terms of money and influence. He doesn't strike me as a 2nd pairing guy since his offense is extremely limited (could've been playing time), but I think he could have a chance as a 3rd pairing defenseman if he comes over.

So if I'm being charitable to the guys we have, I think we have two 2nd pairing guys, maybe three 3rd paring guys, and then a tweener. If you want to say that's fine because we have more assets, then sure I'll agree with you all the way, but in terms of overall potential, I don't see a ton of value there.
I think it's fair to say that none of them project as more than 3rd pair/maybe borderline top 4 guy. but it wouldn't be shocking if one of them ended up being legit top 4 player. gaudet would be my guess but it really could be any that catches lightning in a bottle. And given that Peru is only one taken in top 2 rounds can we really expect more?

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
To add to your statement in bold:

Player: Drafted Overall
ROR: 33rd
Kyrou: 35th
Faulk: 37th
Buch: 75th
Parayko: 86th
Doug Gil
To add to your statement in bold:

Player: Drafted Overall
ROR: 33rd
Kyrou: 35th
Faulk: 37th
Buch: 75th
Parayko: 86th
I'll do you one better. Hall of Famer Doug Gilmour was drafted at no. 134.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think it's fair to say that none of them project as more than 3rd pair/maybe borderline top 4 guy. but it wouldn't be shocking if one of them ended up being legit top 4 player. gaudet would be my guess but it really could be any that catches lightning in a bottle. And given that Peru is only one taken in top 2 rounds can we really expect more?

I still think Kessel is someone everyone is sleeping on right now, he transitioned to the AHL last year and so fans were disappointed with his season. He wasn’t a world beater as a rookie.

A lot of fans have Tucker in the bottom pairing for us this year. It took him a few years in the AHL to develop. Kessell has better puck movement and offense then Tucker and higher upside. To me it is between him and Buch as to who has the highest upside. I think either could be 18 minute per night dmen.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I have Buchinger ranked slightly higher than Gaudet but it’s close. Gaudet is 1 development year older so he’ll turn pro while Buchinger will go back to Jrs. I think Buchinger has an outside chance of making Canada’s WJC team 6 months from now.

I also like Koromyslov but it’s hard to get video on him. Not too worried about him never coming over (unless he simply doesn’t develop and one or both sides decide him trying for an NHL career isn’t worth it). He doesn’t provide much of any offense but I really like his gap control, defense of the blue line and he’s mean. Maybe just a Mikkola caliber guy in time but it’s hard to say as it’s hard to get a good read on him. Plays for SKA though so he should be teammates with Michkov this coming season.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
Torpo is starting to look like a great pick at #113 overall. He established himself as a 6'6" 10 goal 4th line player with snarl by 23 years old. I think a lot of people believe that he can still take another step.

Tucker is looking like a legit NHL D man and he was taken #200 overall.

Hofer is a damn good prospect for someone taken #107 overall. He has done everything you can ask out of a goalie prospect in the AHL, already looks like a high end NHL puckhandler, has the frame of an NHL starter and held his own at the NHL level during his cup of coffee as a 22 year old. He will be the NHL backup next year and has 2 years on a cheap deal to prove that he should be the guy here.

I'm not sure if the late 2nd is 'out of nowhere' but Alexandrov is showing more than what I expected out of him by this point in his career. He's not going to become a superstar, but he looks like he might be noticeably more than just a 4th liner by the time he's 25.

That's 4 guys from the 2017-2019 drafts who are 'out of nowhere candidates.
Would it be accurate to say Torpo appears to be the type of player we all hoped Kostin would be?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Would it be accurate to say Torpo appears to be the type of player we all hoped Kostin would be?

No. Kostin has move offensive upside. Torpo was likely a bottom line player who can score, but is there for physical play. The help on D is a bonus.

I, personally, always hoped Kostin could become a 2nd liner put up 40 points and be physical (especially after his KHL playoffs....). His IQ may prevent him from reaching that. But we will see how he continues to grow with Edmonton.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Blues All 25 and under team:

Bolduc - Thomas - Kyrou
Stenburg - Dvorsky - Snuggerud
Neighbours - Dean - ????
???? - Alexandrov - Toropchenko

Lidstein - ?????
????? - ?????
????? - ?????

Hofer
Zherenko

Prospect pool looking up

Reactions: Memento

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Blues All 25 and under team:

Bolduc - Thomas - Kyrou
Stenburg - Dvorsky - Snuggerud
Neighbours - Dean - ????
???? - Alexandrov - Toropchenko

Lidstein - ?????
????? - ?????
????? - ?????

Hofer
Zherenko

Prospect pool looking up
robertsson and kaskimaki are legit middle-bottom 6 prospects up front. gaudet, loof, and buchinger all look like they could be at least 3rd pair d. not all will hit of course, but that is really nice pool.

Reactions: Brian39 and Memento

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
robertsson and kaskimaki are legit middle-bottom 6 prospects up front. gaudet, loof, and buchinger all look like they could be at least 3rd pair d. not all will hit of course, but that is really nice pool.

I wouldn't forget about Koromyslov (if he comes over), Tucker, Beck, or Kessel either. I think the latter three are still under twenty-five.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Yea, I had both Robertsson and Kaskimaki down, but wasn't as up to speed on how they did this year. So I erased them. I don't like any of our D. Plus that was part of the joke with how strong the forwards are compared to the D.

Perunovich is still under 25... for two more months.

I don't care. He is terrible. I only put down good prospects and Toropchenko

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Having Dean, Bolduc, Lööf, and Kessel all down in the AHL next year is gonna be good for their development. Especially with Bannister down there.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I'd currently rank our top prospects like this:

Snuggerud
Dvorsky

Dean
Stenberg
Bolduc
Neighbours
Lindstein

Snuggerud remaining as the top guy might be slightly controversial, but his D+1 was that impressive. I'm hopeful he can be a first line winger. Dvorsky is an obvious second after that with most likely the highest upside in our pool as well as a solid floor.

I have a tough time ordering the next four. I'm going with Dean first as he has the most complete package and projects as a C. I'll rank Stenberg second for similair reasons, but he seems to project more as a wing and is further away from being a contributor. Bolduc I think projects as more of a complementary player, but has a lot of scoring potential. Finally Neighbours I think has the least upside of the group, but is still a nice middle six prospect. Really though I think there's an argument for these guys to go in any order.

Lindstein is a guy I don't have a great read on at the moment, but it seems safe to say he's last or at least near the bottom of our top prospects. Seems like a solid all around D with #4 potential.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This is where I see them ending up.

Teir 1 (top line/top pair)
Dvorsky (1B defensive C)
Snuggerud (1B 2-way sniper)

Teir 2(2nd line/2nd pair)
Bolduc(2nd line LW)
Buchinger (#4 2way)

Teir 3 (middle 6/bottom pair, could move up depending on prospect camp)
Stenberg
Neighbors
Loof
Lindstein
MAG

Reactions: LGB

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is where I see them ending up.

Teir 1 (top line/top pair)
Dvorsky (1B defensive C)
Snuggerud (1B 2-way sniper)

Teir 2(2nd line/2nd pair)
Bolduc(2nd line LW)
Buchinger (#4 2way)

Teir 3 (middle 6/bottom pair, could move up depending on prospect camp)
Stenberg
Neighbors
Loof
Lindstein
MAG
Is prospect camp being streamed? Anyone know? Would love to see some of it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Found my notes from Sweden u18 and feel relevant today:

Sweden U18 thoughts-

sweden and us were by far the 2 best teams. they dominated tournament. the americans had the most offensive firepower, but the 3 best d i saw in the tourney were all swedish. and i don't think it was close. all 3 look like 1st rounders to me. and their other d all looked farily good too and might be worth mid round pick. but its ASP, lindstein, and willander that really shone.

ASP is probably the best of the bunch today, but his size remains a concern. it's not just height, it's frame. he is maybe 5'11 but he is thin. he looks willing to engage physically but i question how he will hold up at that. he has offensive skill but maybe not high end. i think he will be good nhl player but one whose usage you may need to manage. i think i would take him in 20s but suspect someone else is more bullish on him and he goes higher.

lindstein i really like. he is such a smart player. more defensive than offensive, but has great mobility and excels in transition. think better defending nick leddy. i think he plays in all situations, but probably not much pp time. that will brand him as 2nd pairing guy and hurt his draft stock, which means someone could get excellent value. i haven't seen the russians, but have seen at least some game action of most every other d prospect rumored to go in first couple rounds. to me, lindstein is clearly the best lhd in this draft. i think i would take him anytime after 20 but would listen to argument he should be higher..

Willander is guy who has really grown on me. he was exceptional in this tourney. smooth skater, good escapability, physical edge- he looks like prototypical modern defenseman. i'm not saying he will be as good as heiskanen or mcavoy, but i've come around that he may have most upside of any d in this draft. his offense seems only limited by his swedishness- playing bit conservatively at times. he will be at BU next year and teaming with lane hutson should help him tap into that offensive potential. i think his stock is rising and i don't think he will be there with one of our later picks. this won't be popular opinion in forum, but i don't know that i would pass on him with our own 1st.

the forwards are not quite as exciting, as i don't see liekly 1st line upside in any, but some intriguing middle 6 guys. stenberg looks like clear 1st rounder. i think i would be happy with him after 20. speed and skill, decent size. can play c or wing. showed vision and skill. edstrom looks really interesting. big center, some skill, maybe 2nd line upside. i honestly think he is as good as danielson (as i said elsewhere earlier). feel like he would be good pick starting at about 20 too. wahlberg, big center, flashed good speed, some skill (less than the 2 i mentioned above i think). feels like a early-mid 2nd rounder. there were other forwards that kinda run together to me that i think would be worth a look starting round 3.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
So it is not exactly news but the Blues are loaded with LHD prospects, many of whom have NHL upside. I would not be surprised at all to see DA try and flip a couple of them for RHD prospects/players as the year rolls on.

Not including what we drafted this year we have.

Perunovich
Gaudet
Buchinger
Loof
Tucker

all of whom I think have NHL potential in bottom four capacity.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So it is not exactly news but the Blues are loaded with LHD prospects, many of whom have NHL upside. I would not be surprised at all to see DA try and flip a couple of them for RHD prospects/players as the year rolls on.

Not including what we drafted this year we have.

Perunovich
Gaudet
Buchinger
Loof
Tucker

all of whom I think have NHL potential in bottom four capacity.
I don't think they'll be traded as prospects, none of them really have much value, and currently none are really blocked either. Buchinger will be in juniors again, Perunovich/Tucker could either both be with the big club or at least one will. Malmstrom is another though.

I do think Perunovich's future is basically determined this year. He's either in the top 6 next season, or he's gone. If after 1-2 seasons, we have a bunch of these guys in the pros or ready for the jump, then we could see a move, once their value is decent enough. That's basically what Army did when it came to the RD, Rundblad an exception, but he was a big-time prospect, not a mid-round guy. I'm not worried about being overloaded on the left. If a bunch of them do develop and does create a logjam, then we'll have valuable assets to move. And if none of them develop into a pro, then we were never overloaded to begin with. And by the time some of the younger ones are ready Springfield, some of them will already be aged out.

I could see one of them or a forward use in a trade to acquire a NHL top 4 LD, if we are able to move Krug.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Impatiently waiting to see who all will be at prospect camp. I can’t go until Monday, but I’m really excited for this year’s version.

Reactions: Brian39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad