OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I thought it was kind of bush league by the Bombers to point that out in their response.

Why? They're susceptible to some criticism if they'd known they'd be without a backup quarterback and decided not to do anything about it.

The situation they now find themselves in is all on Durant, and they're well within their right to let the media know that. Loyalty goes both ways, you know.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I thought it was kind of bush league by the Bombers to point that out in their response.

How so? The season is right around the corner and the guy didn't even inform the team that he was under him that he was retiring. Maybe the Bombers should start cutting guys on Twitter if you think anything the Bombers have done here looks bush league.

Not to mention this could be heading to court if the Bombers contracts were properly phrased, Durant's apparently not going to return his 70k bonus.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Good player but adding him doesn't really change the depth chart. The guy can't make it through a single start without getting injured. So whoever your 3rd is will be backup if Nichols gets an injury longer than a week.

This certainly changes things for Walters. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this, if there's been one big weakness in Walters/O'Shea, IMO, it's been in QB evaluation. They pretty much lucked onto Nichols (traded for him in an emergency for a 7th, they did not expect him to be a starter) and have bombed out on many other guys they liked (Willy, Brohm, Davis, etc).

So, sounds like a certainty they will sign Tate, then. :laugh:

It also sounds like the Bombers are out a $70K signing bonus, which counts against their cap.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Duh-rant leaves the team holding the bag with a couple weeks before training camp and some feel sorry for this dud!

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You know the bonus money is what it is, I don't even care. 70K on the cap, meh ok whatever as many are saying teams cut players right before roster bonuses are due. It happens.

What I care about is that he clearly blind sided the Bombers (they have released 2 QB's in past two weeks bringing them down to just 4 on roster before Durant, now down to 3) and that he does it right before camp starts. All the QB's have by now been picked up, there's no way to implement a backup plan now, and he didn't even give the Bombers a heads up so they could have held onto some extra guys for camp competition.

Let's hope the new scouting head they brought in from the Lions is in fact correct on bringing his guy in Alex Ross over from BC. If he is, this may be a blessing in disguise giving a good young QB to backup rather than a guy with no arm strength left.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

It also sounds like the Bombers are out a $70K signing bonus, which counts against their cap.

I don't think they will sign Tate....

The fact they knew Duh-rat was likely retiring was the reason Streveler was brought into the mini-camp...

Streveler was a for sure a development quarterback in the NFL and Streveler didn't want to sit on a practice roster so he wouldn't have come to Winnipeg without a real chance to wear a game day jersey...

So I think it's Nichols, Ross and Streveler...

They will probably try and find a practice roster QB that's about it...

None

Feb 22, 2012
You know the bonus money is what it is, I don't even care. 70K on the cap, meh ok whatever as many are saying teams cut players right before roster bonuses are due. It happens.

I get the point, but 70k can be the difference between having a Sam Hurl at MLB versus an Henoc Muamba or even an international guy like Elimimian. That's not an insignificant amount for CFL contracts.

Because of how close it was to TC I wouldn't be surprised if there was some gamesmanship going on behind the scenes. That he didn't inform the Bombers at all on his final decision makes the cynic in me think that he realized how much the timing would hurt the team.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Because of how close it was to TC I wouldn't be surprised if there was some gamesmanship going on behind the scenes. That he didn't inform the Bombers at all on his final decision makes the cynic in me think that he realized how much the timing would hurt the team.
Yup, I have to admit the conspiracy theorist in me thought that too... he did the Riders one final favour by screwing us over...

Reactions: sipowicz

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Bombers continue to rotate around their depth QB's. None of the 3 potential 3rd stringers that were on the roster a couple of months ago remain and in their place is former Lions 3rd stringer Alex Ross and recently signed Chris Streveler. It sounds more and more that Alex Ross is in pencil as the 3rd stringer this year.

Gross. Why are we always taking other team’s castoffs, like Brohm and Davis? This Ross guy is probably just as bad as them. Find your own QB!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Bush league is quitting on you're team two weeks before camp and not having the guts to inform the team before you blather it all over social media. Duh-rant is a tool, a dull one but a tool!

Sure it is. It's completely the wrong move by Durant.

I just hold the Bombers to a higher standard. Publicly the Bombers should have congratulated him on a wonderful career and acceptted the resignation, not gone all passive-agressive about whining they weren't told in advance.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Let's hope the new scouting head they brought in from the Lions is in fact correct on bringing his guy in Alex Ross over from BC. If he is, this may be a blessing in disguise giving a good young QB to backup rather than a guy with no arm strength left

This had gone unnoticed by me at the time.
Bombers add Ryan Rigmaiden to scouting staff - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

I wonder if anyone calls him Iron Rigmaiden. :laugh: Let's hope he's a better judge of QB's than McManus was. Still, BC opted to let Ross go. Not promising, IMO.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I just hold the Bombers to a higher standard. Publicly the Bombers should have congratulated him on a wonderful career and acceptted the resignation, not gone all passive-agressive about whining they weren't told in advance.

That would have sickened me. Bush moves need to be called out.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Couldn't be less professional from durant. Retires right before training camp. Doesn't even tell the team before announcing it on social media. Then goes on to thank the fans of the bombers biggest rival in his statement. Real classy...
Cashes his 70k as well.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

They signed him right after the season ended so hopefully it was used against last year's cap.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Gross. Why are we always taking other team’s castoffs, like Brohm and Davis? This Ross guy is probably just as bad as them. Find your own QB!

To be fair, Ross appears to be the guy of new Ryan Rigmaiden, the Bombers new director of college scouting. He spent the past 6 years in BC before being added to Bombers staff in January of this year. He was the one who brought in Ross to the CFL.

And often times it does happen where an unknown buried in another system does pay off for the new team. Khari Jones for example spent years as the #2/3 in BC throwing very few passes before emerging as a starter for the Bombers after being castoff. More current might be Brandon Bridge (who I was desperately hoping the BB would sign when MTL released him) that looks real good after being released after just a season and a half.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

I see no reason to do that.

They handled it just fine.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Couldn't be less professional from durant. Retires right before training camp. Doesn't even tell the team before announcing it on social media. Then goes on to thank the fans of the bombers biggest rival in his statement. Real classy...

And he isn’t returning his 70k signing bonus either. What a piece of garbage. Good riddance

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad