Blash

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They have 31 points in 25 games. They're benefiting from the fact the whole Pacific is under-performing. Same reasons last week Detroit was 3rd in the Atlantic.

Don't get too caught up in points. I know, I know - It's how the NHL does scoring. It's total fools gold though. The hallmark of the good teams is found in ROW. If you can get points by winning games in regulation or OT, you're playing good hockey. And Vegas has 15 ROW. Of the 25 games Vegas has played, they've walked away with a true win 15 times (60%). Top in the league is Tampa with 17 ROW (65%).

Detroit is sitting at 8 ROW in 27 games (30%). There are literally only 2 teams with less - Arizona and Buffalo (6 ROW).

Detroit is playing bad hockey and scraping by with loser points to make them appear clumped near the middle. They aren't. They are, yet again, a bottom team. And after this shelling tonight, they sit at the 3rd worst goal differential in the league. Surprise, only Arizona and Buffalo are worse.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Don't get too caught up in points. I know, I know - It's how the NHL does scoring. It's total fools gold though. The hallmark of the good teams is found in ROW. If you can get points by winning games in regulation or OT, you're playing good hockey. And Vegas has 15 ROW. Of the 25 games Vegas has played, they've walked away with a true win 15 times (60%). Top in the league is Tampa with 17 ROW (65%).

Detroit is sitting at 8 ROW in 27 games (30%). There are literally only 2 teams with less - Arizona and Buffalo (6 ROW).

Detroit is playing bad hockey and scraping by with loser points to make them appear clumped near the middle. They aren't. They are, yet again, a bottom team. And after this shelling tonight, they sit at the 3rd worst goal differential in the league. Surprise, only Arizona and Buffalo are worse.

The NHL isn't about winning, its about maximizing points earned per game. A team with 41 ROW, 41-41-0 will have 82 points. A team that is 41-0-41 will have 123 points. One team doesn't make the playoffs, the other is president trophy winner. Same number of wins. Same number of loses. And again, not to belabor the point but Vegas isn't nearly as good as their current position. They aren't bad, but, they also are starting to show that their actual talent level. The same way Detroit was starting to about 4 games ago.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The NHL isn't about winning, its about maximizing points earned per game.

To get into the playoffs. After that, if you want to actually compete, the NHL is still about winning 16 games. Teams that do that in the regular seasons are far more likely to do it in the playoffs.

And maybe Vegas won't sustain their 60% rate, but the Red Wings have been quite consistent with their rate. Since 2012-2013 they've manged 166 ROW in 403 games, at 41% rate. That's 20th in the league across that span.

For comparison, the Hawks have a 53% ROW over that same timeframe (4th overall) and the Penguins have a 55% rate (1st overall). And those two teams combine for 4 of the last 5 Stanley Cups. Proof, pudding, etc.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Kind of impressive, really. Right now the Wings are simultaneously bottom 5 in goals scored and top 5 in goals against. They're not just bad in one area, they're pretty much bad in them all.

I mean, a 16-3 swing will do a lot to adjust that. Just two games ago, they were 71 GF and 74 GA. They had two truly abysmal games that made it this way.

Reactions: Winger98

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Why wait until the end of the season?
New GM right now would have ample time to evaluate the roster before the TDL.
Kenny is old news, he will never do what needs to be done.
Pull that plug!
No good coach is going to want to come here if Holland has literally a few months remaining on his deal. No good GM candidate is going to leave his team right now. Another thing to keep in mind is the GM search could take quite a while to complete, so if you can bring in a new GM it's probably going to be too late anyway. It's nonsensical to try to find a new GM during the season. A much smaller concern is the optics, it makes the franchise look like it is being managed poorly which was not the case when Mike Ilitch ran things. You need to present stability and commitment, not knee jerk decision making. No good GM or coach is going to sign up for that

You need to start at the top and replace Holland and then let that GM make the next coaching hire. If you fire Blash you name one of the assistant coaches as the temporary/interim head coach or you bring up Nelson. I am a big Nelson fan, I'd prefer to have him brought up to be head coach starting next season when we have a new GM, have drafted an elite player over the summer and have a new direction for the franchise as a whole. So in my opinion you can't replace Holland for the sole purpose of firing Blash. It's totally counter productive. With that being said there's no reason to replace Blash right now. We simply have to hope we end up with either the #1 overall pick or as close to that as it's reasonable given our final place in the standings.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No good coach is going to want to come here if Holland has literally a few months remaining on his deal. No good GM candidate is going to leave his team right now. Another thing to keep in mind is the GM search could take quite a while to complete, so if you can bring in a new GM it's probably going to be too late anyway. It's nonsensical to try to find a new GM during the season. A much smaller concern is the optics, it makes the franchise look like it is being managed poorly which was not the case when Mike Ilitch ran things. You need to present stability and commitment, not knee jerk decision making. No good GM or coach is going to sign up for that

You need to start at the top and replace Holland and then let that GM make the next coaching hire. If you fire Blash you name one of the assistant coaches as the temporary/interim head coach or you bring up Nelson. I am a big Nelson fan, I'd prefer to have him brought up to be head coach starting next season when we have a new GM, have drafted an elite player over the summer and have a new direction for the franchise as a whole. So in my opinion you can't replace Holland for the sole purpose of firing Blash. It's totally counter productive. With that being said there's no reason to replace Blash right now. We simply have to hope we end up with either the #1 overall pick or as close to that as it's reasonable given our final place in the standings.

I'm not sure Nelson would have any serious interest in it. It's not a situation where he could likely expect to step in and win, and he needs something to build his resume up for another shot at a head coaching gig somewhere. Maybe one of Blashill's assistants would take it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tippet is getting some phone calls this week.

As for Holland, it depends if he was looking to step down after this season anyway. It was speculated around here earlier this year, and considering Holland's contract the timing certainly makes it plausible. If Holland is stepping away, I wouldn't be surprised if the next GM has already been tapped and it just waiting for the season to end. Which is my way of saying I bet it's an internal hire, my hope at that point would be Wright.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If the plan is to simply transition to Ryan Martin as the new GM I hope they are rethinking that plan. Martin would almost surely be a continuation of the Holland philosophy which we know is a recipe for very mediocre performance with no coherent plan to once again become competitive. You should be able to get a GM with previous experience or has a proven area of expertise. Martin's expertise is cap management. Our cap management has been a total failure.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I'm not sure Nelson would have any serious interest in it. It's not a situation where he could likely expect to step in and win, and he needs something to build his resume up for another shot at a head coaching gig somewhere.

I think he absolutely would be interested in it. There's only 31 head coaching gigs in the NHL. When you get the opportunity to take one, you take it.

Plus, he took over for Edmonton at a time when they were an even bigger train wreck than the Wings are now. Don't see why his outlook on heading up a struggling team would be any different this time around.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If the plan is to simply transition to Ryan Martin as the new GM I hope they are rethinking that plan. Martin would almost surely be a continuation of the Holland philosophy which we know is a recipe for very mediocre performance with no coherent plan to once again become competitive. You should be able to get a GM with previous experience or has a proven area of expertise. Martin's expertise is cap management. Our cap management has been a total failure.

I agree entirely about Martin, but promoting from within is how the franchise has been operating. I think we'd have to see an internal candidate fail before they start looking to the outside for help. As I said, my hope would be Tyler Wright for an internal candidate.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think he absolutely would be interested in it. There's only 31 head coaching gigs in the NHL. When you get the opportunity to take one, you take it.

Plus, he took over for Edmonton at a time when they were an even bigger train wreck than the Wings are now. Don't see why his outlook on heading up a struggling team would be any different this time around.

because it got him another AHL coaching gig. Yeah, there are only so many NHL coaching gigs, but if Nelson steps in and this team continues to free fall it's not going to help his resume at all. I think he's better off trying to push GR into the playoffs and have another solid season with them than trying to turn around a potentially toxic situation in Detroit with some entrenched forces in that locker room and at least partially Blashill's assistants.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Why are you expecting us to draft an elite player and why should that have any impact on when you fire a head coach? If we aren't drafting one or two (both of which require lottery luck) we aren't getting elite talent. Very good talent? Perhaps. Elite, no.

I too like Nelson, but I have zero reason to expect him to do materially better than Blash. If anything, it strikes me as a repeat of prior mistakes (promoting from within out of loyalty).

If ownership already knows that they will retain Holland as our GM, we absolutely need to fire Blash as soon as possible. Kenny isn't going to buy into a rebuild until he isolates the coaching variable and its impact on the team. When we look substantially the same under another coach (which is what will happen) Kenny might, just might, give a rebuild some serious thought.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Why are you expecting us to draft an elite player and why should that have any impact on when you fire a head coach? If we aren't drafting one or two (both of which require lottery luck) we aren't getting elite talent. Very good talent? Perhaps. Elite, no.

I too like Nelson, but I have zero reason to expect him to do materially better than Blash. If anything, it strikes me as a repeat of prior mistakes (promoting from within out of loyalty).

If ownership already knows that they will retain Holland as our GM, we absolutely need to fire Blash as soon as possible. Kenny isn't going to buy into a rebuild until he isolates the coaching variable and its impact on the team. When we look substantially the same under another coach (which is what will happen) Kenny might, just might, give a rebuild some serious thought.
We are probably going to get a top 5 pick in a very deep draft. If we get some luck we could win the lottery. I'm also on board with trading Green and Nyquist to get two more first rounders. Nyquist may only result in a second round but I'm fine with that.

The problem starts at the top. This is Holland's team and he's said he has no interest in rebuilding. Based on previous history he'll probably sign Green to a crippling contact. The only way to replace Blash right now is with someone within the organization. I'd prefer to keep Blash and maximize our shot at drafting near the top of the draft. Everything else can be resolved after the season.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey guys. Leafs fan here. Here is a little overview of Sheldon Keefe if he is someone you guys look at as a potential replacement

I think Sheldon Keefe is a very good coach. This is shown by his record as well as coaching overall. I agree he has had some good rosters at his disposal, but it seems he knows how to use them properly and effectively. Here are some stats from his time with the Marlies so far.
2015-2016
GFA: 3.87 (1st)
GAA: 2.51 (4th)

PP: 17.4% (10th)
PK: 84.0% (12th)
2016-2017

GFA: 3.22 (8th)
GAA: 2.72 (11th)

PP: 22.3% (4th)
PK: 81.8% (17th)

SFA: 30.72 (9th)
SAA: 28.47 (6th)
2017-2018
GFA: 3.26 (9th)
GAA: 1.91 (1st)

PP: 15.4% (24th)
PK: 89.3% (1st)

SFA: 30.26 (12th)
SAA: 28.91 (10th)
The Marlies play a puck possession style that focuses on discipline in all 3 zones. Discipline as in work ethic, and playing the way we want to play.
Grades on Coaching Aspects
System: 4.5/5
Accountability: 4.5/5
In Game Coaching: 4/5
Game to Game Coaching: 4.5/5
Communication: 4.5/5
Adaptibility: 4.5/5
Strengths
He seems to get a lot out of the players, and seems to handle young players well. He gives youngsters more leeway when they make mistakes, but if the mistakes continue to happen, he isn't afraid to limit their ice time or even bench them.
His teams are for the most part organized on the ice
He is incredibly honest. If he feels the team didn't play well, he will say it and won't sugarcoat the performance.
He will give players more ice time if he feels they are playing well in a game.
Weaknesses
For the 1st one and a half years, his team was sloppy in the defensive zone. Silly plays and turnovers, which got me annoyed as well. Then on Feb 22nd 2017, associate coach Gord Dineen who handled the defence was let go, and since then they have improved a lot.. At times they are still sloppy, but much less than before
In his 1st season, Keefe had this weird habit of starting TJ. Brennan in the defensive zone. Brennan is one of the top offensive d man in the AHL, but is a disaster defensively, so IDK why Keefe liked to play him there

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The reason why you fire Blashill is because the situation looks like it's becoming cancerous.
Not because of the playoffs. Or salvaging the season. But to prevent players from developing animosity toward each other and the organization.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The reason why you fire Blashill is because the situation looks like it's becoming cancerous.
Not because of the playoffs. Or salvaging the season. But to prevent players from developing animosity toward each other and the organization.

Official and back channels are saying that both the team and the organization don't see this as a coaching problem. The only player that is having major issues with Blash is AA. Everything coming from the players is they knew the only way they'd even sniff the playoffs is if everything went right and that teams go through periods like this. Player mutinies tend to be a really easy way for both the org and the press to turn on a coach and if the org or the players didn't want him there we'd be hearing about it. At this point I think he should stay through the year, after the year they need to either retain him or look outside the org for his replacement. But without Holland gone, replacing Blash is just rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic, either way this team sinks.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Official and back channels are saying that both the team and the organization don't see this as a coaching problem. The only player that is having major issues with Blash is AA. Everything coming from the players is they knew the only way they'd even sniff the playoffs is if everything went right and that teams go through periods like this. Player mutinies tend to be a really easy way for both the org and the press to turn on a coach and if the org or the players didn't want him there we'd be hearing about it. At this point I think he should stay through the year, after the year they need to either retain him or look outside the org for his replacement. But without Holland gone, replacing Blash is just rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic, either way this team sinks.
That's funny Z's interview after morning skate was " We have to go out there and play for our selves and each other like we know we can!" "Not for any one else", " We want the young guys to know this was bad and not right or how things are done here". That sounds like a very nice back hand to the Trashill that they do not trust him and have no faith in him. And will no longer play for him.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

I'm sorry, but mediocre teams don't follow up a four game slump by blowing a lead against a tired, injured team that you need to stay ahead of.
And they certainly don't follow that up by losing 10-1 to the very same team.

There are all kinds of bad teams in the NHL.

Few of them lose 10-1.
The last 5 periods of hockey wasn't a sudden realization that the wings lack talent.

There's a real disconnect in that dressing room.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm sorry, but mediocre teams don't follow up a four game slump by blowing a lead against a tired, injured team that you need to stay ahead of.
And they certainly don't follow that up by losing 10-1 to the very same team.

There are all kinds of bad teams in the NHL.

Few of them lose 10-1.
The last 5 periods of hockey wasn't a sudden realization that the wings lack talent.

There's a real disconnect in that dressing room.

This isn't a mediocre team.Mediocre teams in the NHL make the playoffs. This team is shallow at its best position and desuetude at its worst. Without Howard carrying them the first bit of the season, they would be a lot worse than they are.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Interesting observation. The fans may be taking this 7 game losing streak and 10-1 loss harder than anyone in the organization.

"Seven straight losses, I get it, but it's really been the last five periods we haven't competed," Holland said. "Prior to that we dug in, we battled hard.
"Earlier in the year when we lost (six) in a row, that same team dug in and went 6-2-2.
"The answer for the most part has to be in the locker room. My responsibility is also to be in touch with the other managers in the league to see what's out there. That's been going on."

Blah blah. Not a whole lot of concern there. I can't believe the most timid and slow acting franchise in the league intends to dump Blashill this week. Who knows how many straight losses it could take.

Zetterberg's quote today dispelled the idea, at least on a surface level:

"It's not on the coaches, it's not on the system," Zetterberg said. "It's up to us in here to go out and perform better and win your battles. You have to show more passion and more grit and we're going to do that tomorrow."

As much as the majority here would like Blashill relieved that may not be the Wings' plan. So much double-speak it's always difficult to gauge management's real intentions.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
"Seven straight losses, I get it, but it's really been the last five periods we haven't competed," Holland said. "Prior to that we dug in, we battled hard.
"Earlier in the year when we lost (six) in a row, that same team dug in and went 6-2-2.
"The answer for the most part has to be in the locker room. My responsibility is also to be in touch with the other managers in the league to see what's out there. That's been going on."

Blah blah. Not a whole lot of concern there.

5 periods? It's been 5 years since the team has looked like it could sniff any success. I've posted the stats a billion times, but over that span the franchise is bottom 10 in nearly every category. I can't believe management, with tools to way more than NHL.com stats, isn't taking a hard look at that and wanting to CHANGE SOMETHING.

Holland seems totally content his team that has floated around the 20th place mark for years now. It's staggering indifference to complete mediocrity.

The lack of fire and frustration over these poor results is the part I hate the most about this management. Making a contender takes some luck and doesn't always work out. I've seen teams do everything right and still come up short. But holy hell, at least pretend your failure is unacceptable and you're working on it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
His time has run out in Detroit. I hope at some point Blashill gets another opportunity, I still believe he can be a good coach at this level. It will not be with this team though, I think we need a change unless the plan is firmly to tank which I would support at this point. But you can't have them not showing up for games at all, if they have tuned Blash out, he has to go and it is as simple as that.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
5 periods? It's been 5 years since the team has looked like it could sniff any success. I've posted the stats a billion times, but over that span the franchise is bottom 10 in nearly every category. I can't believe management, with tools to way more than NHL.com stats, isn't taking a hard look at that and wanting to CHANGE SOMETHING.

Holland seems totally content his team that has floated around the 20th place mark for years now. It's staggering indifference to complete mediocrity.

The lack of fire and frustration over these poor results is the part I hate the most about this management. Making a contender takes some luck and doesn't always work out. I've seen teams do everything right and still come up short. But holy hell, at least pretend your failure is unacceptable and you're working on it.
#slowclap

I'd put this on the front page of every newspaper, in the news feed of every social media outlet, and on the glass of every LCA suite if I could. Well said.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
12th
15th
25th
26th (and sinking)

Don't really see how the team has floated around 20th.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00