Blash

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-rangers-roster-decisions-huge-impact-nhl/

In friedmans 31 thoughts he mentions that Detroit has been asking around about Dave Tippett, though he doesn't think it likely we'll move on from blash yet

11. With back-to-back wins over Florida and Arizona, Detroit ended a six-game losing streak and remains in the thick of the playoff race. I mentioned during last Saturday’s show about the possibility of Dave Tippett going to Detroit if — and I stress if — the Red Wings wanted to make a change, but I believe in that possibility less now. Detroit did some due diligence on Tippett. That’s not to say it was imminent, but simply collecting information. They asked enough people that it got around.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Tippett is the next best thing to Mike Babcock, if you think he was a good coach. I'd be all for it.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-rangers-roster-decisions-huge-impact-nhl/

In friedmans 31 thoughts he mentions that Detroit has been asking around about Dave Tippett, though he doesn't think it likely we'll move on from blash yet

I hope we do.. Barely winning two games against two weaker opponents, Flordia due to their goaltending issues, should not be a reason for Holland to keep Trash around longer than the time it would take to officially fire and hire another coach.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Tippett is the next best thing to Mike Babcock, if you think he was a good coach. I'd be all for it.

I've long been an advocate for Tippett. Is he exciting? No, but he's everything else. I'd also sorta like to see what he could do with some more talent at his disposal.

Reactions: Bench

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't dislike Tippett as a coach per se, but the last thing I want behind the bench is yet another guy overemphasizing defensive play (aka, turtling), in order to squeeze another 5-10 wins from this turnip of a roster.

Gimme a guy who's great with X's and O's, but will start simple, and gradually expand into a run and gun that lets the kids make mistakes and learn, while attempting to actually be fun to watch.

In other words...probably the exact opposite of the short-term view they have in mind. :thumbd:

Reactions: Reddwit

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't dislike Tippett as a coach per se, but the last thing I want behind the bench is yet another guy overemphasizing defensive play (aka, turtling), in order to squeeze another 5-10 wins from this turnip of a roster.

Gimme a guy who's great with X's and O's, but will start simple, and gradually expand into a run and gun that lets the kids make mistakes and learn, while attempting to actually be fun to watch.

In other words...probably the exact opposite of the short-term view they have in mind. :thumbd:

So the complete opposite of what successful teams have done forever. Run and gun works if you're the 1980s Oilers and you just are better than the teams you are playing top to bottom.

Most coaches worth their salt now that are "great with X's and O's".... are the defensive minded coaches like Babcock and Tippett. Letting kids play a run and gun style in the NHL sounds fun... but you are overestimating the possible success of this. They have nowhere near the players to pull it off. No way to reasonably acquire the players to pull this off in the near future and no palatable way to clear their ledger enough to go whole hog into it for another couple years. You can say "I want to run and gun" but as long as Z, Kronner, Ericsson, etc. are here, the Wings can't do that. They don't have the personnel. To really pull off a run and gun style, you need a Yandle, Burns, OEL, Letang, etc. back there dishing out dimes and running the show. Green was that in Washington, but he's not good enough to elevate the offense by himself here.

A run and gun offense with what Detroit is going to ice the next two-three years would be the exact opposite of entertaining... unless you would enjoy seeing them give up odd man rush after odd man rush and get blown out every night.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Gotta give credit to the man, he's been utilizing the young guys well this season. We're also middle of the pack in terms of goals against with such a horrible defensive core, some credit to Howard ofcourse but I doubt he's doing it all on his own.

With the way he's coaching the team we might not finish dead last after all.

Obviously not gonna give all the credit to blashill but he deserves a fair bit of credit after all.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Gotta give credit to the man, he's been utilizing the young guys well this season. We're also middle of the pack in terms of goals against with such a horrible defensive core, some credit to Howard of course but I doubt he's doing it all on his own.

With the way he's coaching the team we might not finish dead last after all.

Obviously not gonna give all the credit to blashill but he deserves a fair bit of credit after all.

In all fairness I think the goals against is a lot on the play of Howard, as we have still made plenty of mistakes in our own end.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
In all fairness I think the goals against is a lot on the play of Howard, as we have still made plenty of mistakes in our own end.
Prior to the Calgary game the Red Wings were 24th in total offense. All credit goes to Howard. It's weird not having people bitching about him, tbh. Just wait though, fans are fickle.

One of Blash or Holland will stay. Who knows which one. However, I think both will stay in their roles.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Larkin, mantha and AA are all getting plenty of minutes. So what's our beef with Blash these days?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So the complete opposite of what successful teams have done forever. Run and gun works if you're the 1980s Oilers and you just are better than the teams you are playing top to bottom.

Most coaches worth their salt now that are "great with X's and O's".... are the defensive minded coaches like Babcock and Tippett. Letting kids play a run and gun style in the NHL sounds fun... but you are overestimating the possible success of this. They have nowhere near the players to pull it off. No way to reasonably acquire the players to pull this off in the near future and no palatable way to clear their ledger enough to go whole hog into it for another couple years. You can say "I want to run and gun" but as long as Z, Kronner, Ericsson, etc. are here, the Wings can't do that. They don't have the personnel. To really pull off a run and gun style, you need a Yandle, Burns, OEL, Letang, etc. back there dishing out dimes and running the show. Green was that in Washington, but he's not good enough to elevate the offense by himself here.

A run and gun offense with what Detroit is going to ice the next two-three years would be the exact opposite of entertaining... unless you would enjoy seeing them give up odd man rush after odd man rush and get blown out every night.
'Successful teams' tend to have a lot more talent, but I think you misunderstand me.

I don't think ANY strategy will get this roster playing meaningful hockey in the spring. But, if they're going to cling to a plan I think is doomed to fail, I'd be more entertained by losing 7-4 every night than by what they're doing now.

You're absolutely right, in the sense that they won't do that. But I've stopped watching games anyway, so they can't lose something that's already gone, I guess. (They just can't get it back yet, either.)

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Larkin, mantha and AA are all getting plenty of minutes. So what's our beef with Blash these days?

I have been under the impression that this team is playing for themselves as a group, vs playing for him. I see very little structure in the O zone still. Dump and chase is good vs. 6's teams in CHEL, but not the NHL. Still seeing AA not being utilized in key situations, late in games, down a goal or two. Still see him baffled at good goals by other teams, epic arm cross. I could keep going on about Blash, but A. it wont do any good. B. Hes not going anywhere, so C. Whats the point?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Is that all it takes to be okay with Blashill?
Mostly.

I don't think Blashill could do much with this roster. I don't think any coach could.

So at least if our kids are getting good IT and developing, I'm fine with that. Larkin has definitely rebounded, Mantha was on a tear for a good while. That's fine with me.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Prior to the Calgary game the Red Wings were 24th in total offense. All credit goes to Howard. It's weird not having people *****ing about him, tbh. Just wait though, fans are fickle.

One of Blash or Holland will stay. Who knows which one. However, I think both will stay in their roles.
If Holland goes...the new GM will bring their own guy in to coach. If Holland stays...I think it's 50/50 that Blash stays.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If Holland goes...the new GM will bring their own guy in to coach. If Holland stays...I think it's 50/50 that Blash stays.

If we don’t make the playoffs for 2 years in a row after openly shooting for the playoffs, Blashill is gone. Call it politics. Call it a PR sacrifice. But someone will have to be the scapegoat for the organization’s failed efforts.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

How about not calling out the kids for every bad game that comes to pass? How about calling out the guys making $4-5M+ for repetitive mistakes? Actually instituting a meritocracy? Not calling out a player like AA for consistency while not giving him a consistent role or consistent minutes or consistent linemates night-to-night? How about easing up on the oldest guys, especially when they’re showing you on the ice that they’re wearing down?

I’ve actually been fairly content with Blashill this season. His dealing with the kids is worlds better than last year and he’s found the right minds for special teams. The gap isn’t as conservative either. But there is still plenty to complain about when we’ve already thrown out the idea that we will be a successful team or that we’re a talented one. In other words, there are still some very basic expectations that he’s failing to meet.

Reactions: martinez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad