Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks trade Hjalmarsson to Arizona for Connor Murphy & Laurent Dauphin

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Plus, how many times in all sports do we see a team improve when the coach is replaced? Maybe it's just a coincidence but there are some reasons why it could happen. Players get out of the doghouse, marginal players need to prove themselves to the new coach, and/or a fresh set of eyes and adjustments can cause a sense of rejuvenation. Why would people think this wouldn't happen with the Hawks?

nice response, right now, i can't formulate a response.

the only thing i would like to add is, Q has a signed contract for x amount of yrs. where is he in ref to that contract ?? how many more yrs are left on his contract ??

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I heard we traded Hjalmarsson, is there a thread where we can talk about that trade?

Hard to say right now but what are you thinking for D pairings? I like the idea of Murphy and Keith together. Then again, maybe Murphy can carry his own pairing?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hard to say right now but what are you thinking for D pairings? I like the idea of Murphy and Keith together. Then again, maybe Murphy can carry his own pairing?

It's really hard to say what they will look like without seeing Murphy on this team.

If I had to guess though, Q will probably keep Keith and Seabrook split.

Keith - Murphy
Kempny - Seabrook
Forsling - Rutta
Roszival

I really hope they sign a vet D though, so we don't have to play 3 inexperienced D.

Either Campbell or Franson would be on my list. Haven't seen enough of Beauchemin lately to say whether or not he could fill in as a 6/7 D or not.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's really hard to say what they will look like without seeing Murphy on this team.

Keith - Murphy
Kempny - Seabrook
Forsling - Rutta
Roszival

I really hope they sign a vet D though, so we don't have to play 3 inexperienced D.

Either Campbell or Franson would be on my list. Haven't seen enough of Beauchemin lately to say whether or not he could fill in as a 6/7 D or not.

Same pairings I project, although I'd like to see if Murphy could carry a pairing as well. Kempny can carry Seabs, we know that. And I think he'll look fine now that he'll have consistent playing time. The only questions, IMO, are Forsling/Rutta. And I expect both will look fine. Just have to wait and see.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
This year I'm really hoping they don't add a vet. Gus officially signed a deal just like Pokka with attempts that maybe pure cheap deals will help them make the roster. There should be a ready group of 4 LDS battling for a spot

If they do struggle with too much issues then the LTIR will allow for some trade room to ad.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Keith-Murphy has the potential to be one of the hardest pairs to go up against in the league. I'd probably be wearing one of these if I was an opposing forward just to make sure I keep my head up.

Kayan_woman_with_neck_rings.jpg

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Keith-Murphy has the potential to be one of the hardest pairs to go up against in the league. I'd probably be wearing one of these if I was an opposing forward just to make sure I keep my head up.

Kayan_woman_with_neck_rings.jpg

:laugh: awesome

If Murphy is capable of developing into a top pairing defenseman, there is no better partner to find that out with than Duncan Keith. As much as I loved hammer, I'm looking forward to seeing how Murphy progresses as a player.

That being said, I'd still like a vet signing as a fail-safe for that bottom pairing. Ideally by bringing campbell back for another year

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This year I'm really hoping they don't add a vet. Gus officially signed a deal just like Pokka with attempts that maybe pure cheap deals will help them make the roster. There should be a ready group of 4 LDS battling for a spot

If they do struggle with too much issues then the LTIR will allow for some trade room to ad.

Yeah, just saw that he signed what is basically a "show me/prove to me" deal. We'll see what happens. Good to know there's some depth, and another option there, now, though.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hammer is interesting too. How will he come back? He's probably pissed he has to learn a new team at this point in his career.

Elephant Igloo

Jan 11, 2017
Remember when every player on the circa-2009 Florida Panthers was a generational player waiting to happen, then Horton and Frolik and Bouwmeester all wound up with other teams and looked like Just Guys? That's what I fear with the Coyotes and Murphy.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
If the Bhawks under perform this coming season and Q is made the scapegoat he'll find a job quickly (if he wants). Guaranteed a team like the Capitals will gobble him up, a veteran squad built to win now looking for a veteran coach with his resume to help get them over the playoff woes.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Remember when every player on the circa-2009 Florida Panthers was a generational player waiting to happen, then Horton and Frolik and Bouwmeester all wound up with other teams and looked like Just Guys? That's what I fear with the Coyotes and Murphy.

One of these things is not like the others.

Horton was a straight up stud, he was just injury plagued. When he was healthy, he was a ****ing GREAT player.

The other two are good players, but were overrated.

But I agree with the concern over Murphy. He's shown flashes in international competition, never really been anything in the NHL. The hope is that he's bring dragged down by a bad team... finger's crossed that's the case.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I would think that Seabrook's optimization is the most important thing when considering D pairs. Isn't that usually Keith?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
One of these things is not like the others.

Horton was a straight up stud, he was just injury plagued. When he was healthy, he was a ****ing GREAT player.

The other two are good players, but were overrated.

But I agree with the concern over Murphy. He's shown flashes in international competition, never really been anything in the NHL. The hope is that he's bring dragged down by a bad team... finger's crossed that's the case.

maybe it was here that convince the bhawks brass to trade for him.

Elephant Igloo

Jan 11, 2017
Murphy's never played a meaningful NHL game in his life and he makes almost as much as a cornerstone of three champions. I just can't get it.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Keith - Murphy
Kempny - Seabrook
Forsling - Rutta
Roszival

I would like to see this

Keith-gus/rutta (whoever plays better in camp should get a shot at solidifying the spot)
Forsling-Murphy (pairing of the future)
Kempny-Seabrook (they were good last year before Kempny did something to cross Q)
Campbell safety net

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would like to see this

Keith-gus/rutta (whoever plays better in camp should get a shot at solidifying the spot)
Forsling-Murphy (pairing of the future)
Kempny-Seabrook (they were good last year before Kempny did something to cross Q)
Campbell safety net

i was thinking something like that. for me, murph working with a defensive d-man is the key.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Murphy's never played a meaningful NHL game in his life and he makes almost as much as a cornerstone of three champions. I just can't get it.

re murphy, i like to think and hope that with age, experience gain at the yrs previous, good defensive pairings and of course a good coaching influence will help in a players development.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I would think that Seabrook's optimization is the most important thing when considering D pairs. Isn't that usually Keith?

Yeah, but not against top competition.

If Keith and Seabrook are going to be together, than you need to find a pair that can take on the role of the Hammer/Oduya pair to take on the tougher matchups and more zone starts.

Last 2 seasons, Keith and Hammer have been taking the tougher zone starts and matchups, Seabrook has been more sheltered.

As far as optimizing Seabrook, I think you have to treat him like Kane. Keep as far away from his own net and up against weaker competition as much as possible to get the most out of his remaining offensive skills, and mitigate the damage on the defensive side of the puck, where his lack of mobility causes him to get eaten alive by even average skaters.

Last edited:

kirkm

Oct 31, 2013
Where is Dauphin likely to be playing this year? (team/line/role)

Where do Hawks fans see him fitting in down the line? bottom-6 PK Center?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad