Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks trade Hjalmarsson to Arizona for Connor Murphy & Laurent Dauphin

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Where is Dauphin likely to be playing this year? (team/line/role)

Where do Hawks fans see him fitting in down the line? bottom-6 PK Center?

i see him as a marcus kruger type, so most likely line 4. sometimes line 3.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I have high hopes for Laurent Dauphin but need to see him in action. What do you think about him Kirkm?

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Murphy

Murphy makes life more difficult for opposing forwards. That in itself will be a very refreshing change.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Murphy makes life more difficult for opposing forwards. That in itself will be a very refreshing change.

Defensemen that don't allow the opposing forwards to have the puck for very long, take many shots against, or score many goals are the defensemen that are actually tough to play against. Far more importantly, they're the defensemen that are tough to WIN against.

If getting hit meant a player would be less effective, the Blackhawks would have lost to any number of teams that tried to run them out of the building. Of course, since that's not the case, the Blackhawks happily skated around those teams, absorbed all the hits no human could stand (which was obviously far less than intended, given how easily fast skilled players make fools of physical dmen), won many cups.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
defensemen that don't allow the opposing forwards to have the puck for very long, take many shots against, or score many goals are the defensemen that are actually tough to play against. Far more importantly, they're the defensemen that are tough to win against.

If getting hit meant a player would be less effective, the blackhawks would have lost to any number of teams that tried to run them out of the building. Of course, since that's not the case, the blackhawks happily skated around those teams, absorbed all the hits no human could stand (which was obviously far less than intended, given how easily fast skilled players make fools of physical dmen), won many cups.

r i g h t. :toothless:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Defensemen that don't allow the opposing forwards to have the puck for very long, take many shots against, or score many goals are the defensemen that are actually tough to play against. Far more importantly, they're the defensemen that are tough to WIN against.

If getting hit meant a player would be less effective, the Blackhawks would have lost to any number of teams that tried to run them out of the building. Of course, since that's not the case, the Blackhawks happily skated around those teams, absorbed all the hits no human could stand (which was obviously far less than intended, given how easily fast skilled players make fools of physical dmen), won many cups.

I fail to see where the person you quoted said "he hits a lot and that will be refreshing to watch."

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
i dont like this trade

Fair enough.

It's going to take a year or two to see who really wins this trade.
If Hammer is really on a decline and Murphy can play than we win.
I have to give Bowman some credit though this season .. two out of the box transactions that caught us all by surprise and that show some mojo towards making amends.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
i dont like this trade

LOL, no one knows at this point. Hammer started his NHL career way back in 2007. Did anyone mention his name then? How bout the 1st cup. He was mentioned at the end of the list behind Big Buff, Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Toews, Ladd, Versteeg and Bolland's of the world. If you say otherwise, you lying.

Same will go for Murphy. It'll take years before fans respect his game.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

In that same time frame the physical Canucks got manhandled by the more-physical Bruins, while the finesse squads were all golfing.

I don't believe there's any single type of "game" that is better than another. I think it all boils down to how well the personnel buy into and play said game that really matters. If you have top-quality crash-and-bangers in a system that everyone buys into vs. a finesse squad with little-to-no direction, the crash-and-bangers will win.

One of the issues the 'hawks are facing/will face moving forward is their core can no longer play the same style of game that made them successful in the past. Either the aging core has to get back to their youth or the gameplan surrounding them has to change. Sure, you can try to swap out the core wholesale but I don't think that is feasible--not until 2023-2024.

I personally think the smart money moving forward has to be bet on changing the gameplan to fit the core's actual abilities--not trying to force the square peg into the round hole that happened all of last season outside of February.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
LOL, no one knows at this point. Hammer started his NHL career way back in 2007. Did anyone mention his name then? How bout the 1st cup. He was mentioned at the end of the list behind Big Buff, Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Toews, Ladd, Versteeg and Bolland's of the world. If you say otherwise, you lying.

Assuming he can become somewhat successful here, sure. Assuming of course he can be a net positive contributor.

Not every acquisition is a win. Runblad and Zyuzin come to mind. Cautious optimism here.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
In that same time frame the physical Canucks got manhandled by the more-physical Bruins, while the finesse squads were all golfing.

I don't believe there's any single type of "game" that is better than another. I think it all boils down to how well the personnel buy into and play said game that really matters. If you have top-quality crash-and-bangers in a system that everyone buys into vs. a finesse squad with little-to-no direction, the crash-and-bangers will win.

One of the issues the 'hawks are facing/will face moving forward is their core can no longer play the same style of game that made them successful in the past. Either the aging core has to get back to their youth or the gameplan surrounding them has to change. Sure, you can try to swap out the core wholesale but I don't think that is feasible--not until 2023-2024.

I personally think the smart money moving forward has to be bet on changing the gameplan to fit the core's actual abilities--not trying to force the square peg into the round hole that happened all of last season outside of February.

Key to any playoff run is getting HOT at the right time. Blackhawks were playing their worst hockey of the year heading into the playoffs, it is what it is.

Core playing good is fine but it's advantageous to have an unexpected points producer getting hot as well. Hawks had it with Big Buff (1st cup) followed by Bickell years later. The Penguins got it this year with surprise rookie (midseason call up) Jake Guentzel who lead the team in goals during the post.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

"No one knows at this point"

If you mean that the future can't be predicted with 100% accuracy sure, but if you mean someone who has watched both players play and can't come to a conclusion that we lost this trade then your argument is stupid at best. Hammer is still a D-Man in his prime, he was the second best D for the Hawks last year and everyone after him was a big drop off. I don't want to "take years" we need good D right NOW. Hammer, Panarin(Saad for AA), Danault, TT, these trades right here along with the signing of Seabrook have destroyed this team. With them this team is a top contender, without them this team is a first round chump.

Imagine this team right now missing AA and Seabrook while having Panarin, TT and Danault on it. Imagine this team with these player the last couple years going in the playoffs, imagine where they could have gone. People want to sit here and say "you don't know for sure"... It's a joke not to see the destruction of this team these past 3 offseasons...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

If you mean that the future can't be predicted with 100% accuracy sure, but if you mean someone who has watched both players play and can't come to a conclusion that we lost this trade then your argument is stupid at best. Hammer is still a D-Man in his prime, he was the second best D for the Hawks last year and everyone after him was a big drop off. I don't want to "take years" we need good D right NOW. Hammer, Panarin(Saad for AA), Danault, TT, these trades right here along with the signing of Seabrook have destroyed this team. With them this team is a top contender, without them this team is a first round chump.

Imagine this team right now missing AA and Seabrook while having Panarin, TT and Danault on it. Imagine this team with these player the last couple years going in the playoffs, imagine where they could have gone. People want to sit here and say "you don't know for sure"... It's a joke not to see the destruction of this team these past 3 offseasons...

1st. No team is impervious to trading away good players for mediocre value. I'm pissed about losing a guy like Danault. But every organization has had moments like that throughout the last ten or so years. It's not something only Bowman does.

2nd. Hammer is an elite shot blocker and has amazing gap control. However, being such a warrior takes a toll on the body. Bowman sold high on Hammer and bought low on Murphy. That trade may or may not ultimately pan out, but at least we didn't keep Hammer until his contract was up and give him an 8 year contract worth $7m a year. Bowman was being proactive, and I give him credit for that.

Not to mention that I'll be happy not having a defensemen play his offside anymore. Hammer, while being a beast defensively, always struggled moving the puck up ice because it was always a backhand pass. Annoyed the hell out of me that he wanted to play that position.

3rd. Look at the Kings. Look at the Bruins. Look at every team that has made the finals since 2010. The only teams still putting on a fight on a regular basis is the Hawks and Pens. Sure, Hawks are struggling right now. But the Pens had a rough ride for a few years themselves. And yet these are the only teams who've constantly been a threat in this league.

So as much as you may hate some of the trades/signings we've had these last few years, we've still been really ****ing fortunate. Now cross your fingers and hope it continues...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How do people miss how much of a drop off Hammer had in the last 3rd of the season and the playoffs?

The risk of that continuing and him having zero value is all the reason you need to trade him while he still has value. Murphy is still young and he is cost controlled. His numbers were not great in AZ but they were actually the highest on the team. If you look at his play in international competition it shows that when he plays with some actual talent he can be pretty effective and impactful.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I like our D core going into this year much more than last year.

Hammer when utilized with Keith brought both of them down from an elite defensive D for Hammer and an elite all around D for keith, instead what they got was a slightly better than average 1-2 pairing.

I for one think that in and of itself will improve our D core knowing that Q no longer has the option.

Hammer was long in the tooth as a result of the way he plays the game, he was beginning to slow not only in skating but also you could see he seemed disinterested.

In comes Murphy, couple hundred games in the league and on a good contract, time will tell if he and dauphin end up winning the trade for the hawks but I honestly think they will. Murphy will in my estimation flourish with Q's system and Ulf seems to be a good fit as a D coach for him.

Keith-Gus/Rutta/FA
Forsling-Murphy
Kempny-Seabrook

I like it.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

Yah brah it sucks that the Bhawks are the only team that loses quality players due to the hard cap. :cry:

Besides, every pro team deals with "What Ifs"

Imagine if the Portland Trailblazers drafted Michael Jordan at #2 overall stead of Sam Bowie

Imagine if Tom Brady did not go undrafted til the 7th round and the Bears picked him up.

Imagine if the Red Wings weren't cap strapped and re-signed Marian Hossa.

etc.
etc.
etc.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
1st. No team is impervious to trading away good players for mediocre value. I'm pissed about losing a guy like Danault. But every organization has had moments like that throughout the last ten or so years. It's not something only Bowman does.

2nd. Hammer is an elite shot blocker and has amazing gap control. However, being such a warrior takes a toll on the body. Bowman sold high on Hammer and bought low on Murphy. That trade may or may not ultimately pan out, but at least we didn't keep Hammer until his contract was up and give him an 8 year contract worth $7m a year. Bowman was being proactive, and I give him credit for that.

Not to mention that I'll be happy not having a defensemen play his offside anymore. Hammer, while being a beast defensively, always struggled moving the puck up ice because it was always a backhand pass. Annoyed the hell out of me that he wanted to play that position.

3rd. Look at the Kings. Look at the Bruins. Look at every team that has made the finals since 2010. The only teams still putting on a fight on a regular basis is the Hawks and Pens. Sure, Hawks are struggling right now. But the Pens had a rough ride for a few years themselves. And yet these are the only teams who've constantly been a threat in this league.

So as much as you may hate some of the trades/signings we've had these last few years, we've still been really ****ing fortunate. Now cross your fingers and hope it continues...

this write up is extremely good.

i love #3 assessment. i really think alot of the pressure has to extend to the fans of the Bhawks.... i really do not think the fans will allow that to happen without voicing their opinions.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Jesus... (mod)

Are you apparently not aware of something called the salary cap? You know... that number the Hawks can't go over in total salary? The one that keeps teams like the Hawks from just stacking up with elite players and dominating the rest of the league like the old days? Do you think players like TT, Panarin, and Danault just sign league minimum deals to stay on the Hawks roster? :shakehead
Is that the way things work? :laugh:

I swear, sometimes when reading your posts, it's like reading the rantings of a 12 year old fanboy mad that his favorite player got traded. (Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
How do people miss how much of a drop off Hammer had in the last 3rd of the season and the playoffs?

The risk of that continuing and him having zero value is all the reason you need to trade him while he still has value. Murphy is still young and he is cost controlled. His numbers were not great in AZ but they were actually the highest on the team. If you look at his play in international competition it shows that when he plays with some actual talent he can be pretty effective and impactful.

Yeah, there are so many variables to this one, we just need to watch the season before we can appraise it. People need to remember that we got 2 guys out of it. For them, it's just Hammer. If Hammer looks at all like he did toward the end of the year or just simply can't make it through a season anymore, we win, end of story.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Yeah, there are so many variables to this one, we just need to watch the season before we can appraise it. People need to remember that we got 2 guys out of it. For them, it's just Hammer. If Hammer looks at all like he did toward the end of the year or just simply can't make it through a season anymore, we win, end of story.

No, it also depends on how Murphy does. Part of that whole equation is how bad the D has been these past few seasons and we lost our best defensive defenseman for Murphy (and Dauphin, but realistically Murph is going to be the main guy mitigating Hjammer's loss).

Even if Hjammer does completely fizzle out, if Murph comes in and is as effective as Daley was with us--we still lose; end of story. Kempny has not yet proven he's a go-to guy for defense--and neither has anyone else not named Keith and Seabrook--that puts all the pressure for anything resembling defense on those two and being honest, both are past the point where they can do everything on their own.

Unless Murphy is a high percentage of what Hjammer was in the backend.

I don't think that's unrealistic--and that would be a win. But there's that chance that Murph doesn't work out...and if he doesn't we lose since I don't foresee anyone else in the defensive depth charts that can come in as the go-to guy for defensive play.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Thought is might be a good time for a revisit to the trade.

Murphy 27 gp 1g 4a 5pts +7 11 pim 15:10 mpg 57.10% corsi (63.08% tied 60.83% close)

Murphy was slow to gain Q's trust but has really come along the past 15 games. He has been steady defensively while being active in jumping into the play offensively.

I think Ulf has really helped Rutta, Forsling, and Murphy.

LD looked solid in the preseason and has been a .5 ppg player in Rockford. He has been meh so far in my opinion.

Hammer has been injured but in games he has player he has continued to show the decline we saw last season.

I see this trade as a win so far but Murphy needs to keep growing. The potential is there.

Thoughts?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's a win in my book. Love Hammer, and hoped we could've gotten more from trading him, but he was likely in a decline at that point. It happens to players who'll sacrifice their bodies for wins. He was a warrior, but it didn't make real sense to keep him. Plus if we had kept him and resigned him 2 years from now, we'd be looking at a similar situation as what Seabrook is now (formerly great defensemen, now old and slow and not worth his cap hit).

Murphy has been good. He's been our 4th best defensemen (Keith, Forsling, and Rutta have him beat). He has done a better job at LD than I thought he would, though I still want him to inevitably play with Keith. Plays decent defense and is pretty physical on the back end. He does a great job of jumping in plays and keeping pucks alive, but it hasn't really translated into any points.

All in all, not a bad deal to make. And I'm not even considering Dauphin (who I see as a shutdown C if he ever makes it to the Hawks).

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Thought is might be a good time for a revisit to the trade.

Murphy 27 gp 1g 4a 5pts +7 11 pim 15:10 mpg 57.10% corsi (63.08% tied 60.83% close)

Murphy was slow to gain Q's trust but has really come along the past 15 games. He has been steady defensively while being active in jumping into the play offensively.

I think Ulf has really helped Rutta, Forsling, and Murphy.

LD looked solid in the preseason and has been a .5 ppg player in Rockford. He has been meh so far in my opinion.

Hammer has been injured but in games he has player he has continued to show the decline we saw last season.

I see this trade as a win so far but Murphy needs to keep growing. The potential is there.

Thoughts?

Still a bit too early to tell but it isn't a complete pants-downer. I'm not as confident with Murph in the backend as I was with Hjammer, but then again you also have to figure the quality of D pairings.I don't think Hjammer was ever saddled with a partner as-bad as Keith and Seabrook have been this season...maybe way back when when we tried to have him cover for Leddy when Leddy was just a 13th FWD/PPQB.

Murph definitely has more O upside, even if he's less sound in the backend. That does help since Keith and Seabrook are failing there, too.

I'm standing pat on Wash. I think it's going to take a collapse or one or the other going on a tear.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I kind of wish they would have traded Hammer for a high draft pick, or a really good prospect that is NHL ready instead of Murphy, and saved the cap room. But hard to complain about Murphy these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->