Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks trade Hjalmarsson to Arizona for Connor Murphy & Laurent Dauphin

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
So here is the issue with replacing Q right now (right now is the key), the team is a vet team so it will be hard to bring in a coach that can command the room from the start. Yes, the vets can help with this but it is still an issue. I think the FO made a solid hire in Rockford that can be the coach of the future but he is still raw. Mike Sullivan was a perfect storm, as he has a 700 game NHL playing resume, had prior HC experience (2 years in Boston (I think it was Boston)), was a longtime NHL AC, and he was the HC of the Pens AHL team so he developed some of the young guys we saw come up and play well.

You don't just hire a new young trendy HC and boom there is a new/improved team. It has so much to do with timing that people are missing.

If the new Rockford coach is not the next coach, I personally would like to see Sheldon Keefe, Kevin Dineen, or Travis Green (Vancouver hired him this year). An outside of the box thought would be Ray Ferraro but that is just me.

Sorry for the ramble.

many thanks for the info.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So here is the issue with replacing Q right now (right now is the key), the team is a vet team so it will be hard to bring in a coach that can command the room from the start. Yes, the vets can help with this but it is still an issue. I think the FO made a solid hire in Rockford that can be the coach of the future but he is still raw. Mike Sullivan was a perfect storm, as he has a 700 game NHL playing resume, had prior HC experience (2 years in Boston (I think it was Boston)), was a longtime NHL AC, and he was the HC of the Pens AHL team so he developed some of the young guys we saw come up and play well.

You don't just hire a new young trendy HC and boom there is a new/improved team. It has so much to do with timing that people are missing.

If the new Rockford coach is not the next coach, I personally would like to see Sheldon Keefe, Kevin Dineen, or Travis Green (Vancouver hired him this year). An outside of the box thought would be Ray Ferraro but that is just me.

Sorry for the ramble.

After reading just a few words of your post the answer became very clear to me; And that answer is to promote Dineen as the interim HC. He has been around the team long enough to know the vets well and has a reputation of working with younger players. If he doesn't pan out, the Hawks let him go and search for a HC. Simple as that.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
After reading just a few words of your post the answer became very clear to me; And that answer is to promote Dineen as the interim HC. He has been around the team long enough to know the vets well and has a reputation of working with younger players. If he doesn't pan out, the Hawks let him go and search for a HC. Simple as that.

It is not that simple but KD has the makings of a good coach. His relationship with Q might make the relationship easier for the transition.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It is not that simple but KD has the makings of a good coach. His relationship with Q might make the relationship easier for the transition.

Why isn't it? If Hawks management didn't think KD was/is capable he should have been sent walking with Kitchen.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Why isn't it? If Hawks management didn't think KD was/is capable he should have been sent walking with Kitchen.

What... why would they remove a AHC because they don't think he can be a different thing than that.

And why would their AHC keeping choice bank on what their backup of a hypothetical, whenever this would take place, firing their HC for some reason when they're adding two other assistants anyway. Who could be focused as potential futures if they felt that was a solution

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What... why would they remove a AHC because they don't think he can be a different thing than that.

And why would their AHC keeping choice bank on what their backup of a hypothetical, whenever this would take place, firing their HC for some reason when they're adding two other assistants anyway. Who could be focused as potential futures if they felt that was a solution

Let me just put it this way: the notion that Q is irreplaceable is a ****ing joke.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'd start preparing myself. I think this is Q's last year especially if there's another 1st round exit. 10 years is a long time for guys to hear the same voice. I'd rather be a year too early than a year too late.

You'd think when Bowman asked Toews and Kane what they needed, this would have been brought up in some way.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'd start preparing myself. I think this is Q's last year especially if there's another 1st round exit. 10 years is a long time for guys to hear the same voice. I'd rather be a year too early than a year too late.

Thanks for the advice

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't understand why many seem to think that if I want Q gone, I think he is a bad Coach.

Q is a good Coach but it just Looks like his time with the Hawks is over. Like it's time to move on from another. This won't make Q a bad Coach all of a sudden

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
ok i see the sarcasm but the question, are you talking about the last 2 playoff??
Mainly just this one. There were some caps last playoffs but you can't say that Hossa or Shaw didn't show up in 2016...

The team wasn't stacked, Whatever Q's gameplan was, it looked nonexistant and even so, none of the players bought into it. The whole 2017 playoffs were a fecal-fest for us. It was like 1993 all over again; the 'hawks won the Campbell conference, only to get swept 1st round by the blues.
Q's gotten us a lot of "coaching wins," but he's also had his fair share of "fresh legs" moments. He's up-and-down. I think he'll go down as one of the greatest coaches in history, but he's beyond his time. The game is changing faster than Q can or wants to adapt to it, especially with the role of younger, faster players and moving the puck from the blue line. The recipe for success is changing, and I think that if you're talking about capital-c Changes, a younger, more progressive coach might be what this team needs.

I think adding into that is the fact that coaches are hired to be fired, Q just may be beyond his use-by date with this team. We'll see this year.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
I don't understand why many seem to think that if I want Q gone, I think he is a bad Coach.

Q is a good Coach but it just Looks like his time with the Hawks is over. Like it's time to move on from another. This won't make Q a bad Coach all of a sudden

Great point and I completely agree.

Replacing Q would not be an indictment on him as a coach. It's acknowledging that a change needs to be made both in philosophy and motivation. Plus, the GM and HC need to be more in tune. The Daley fiasco and other player personnel conflicts hurts the team overall. And before someone obnoxiously yells "3 Cups!!", maybe it would be 4 or 5 Cups if there was better cohesion between Bowman and Q. Besides, right now I am thinking about a 4th Cup instead of living in the past and looking at those 3 shiny Cups that were won.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Mainly just this one. There were some caps last playoffs but you can't say that Hossa or Shaw didn't show up in 2016...

The team wasn't stacked, Whatever Q's gameplan was, it looked nonexistant and even so, none of the players bought into it. The whole 2017 playoffs were a fecal-fest for us. It was like 1993 all over again; the 'hawks won the Campbell conference, only to get swept 1st round by the blues.

I think adding into that is the fact that coaches are hired to be fired, Q just may be beyond his use-by date with this team. We'll see this year.

re the bold, for discussion purpose, you are directly making a proportional representation or relation that the hawks had the talent and the lost had to be either players or coach.

it is not that easy. i play first with the players, it is the players to do what they should be able to do. the coach then comes into the equation with a viable, competitive gameplan.

the bottom line the players, all players needs to show up. the coach can not force the players talent to show up, if the player don't want it to.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Great point and I completely agree.

Replacing Q would not be an indictment on him as a coach. It's acknowledging that a change needs to be made both in philosophy and motivation. Plus, the GM and HC need to be more in tune. The Daley fiasco and other player personnel conflicts hurts the team overall. And before someone obnoxiously yells "3 Cups!!", maybe it would be 4 or 5 Cups if there was better cohesion between Bowman and Q. Besides, right now I am thinking about a 4th Cup instead of living in the past and looking at those 3 shiny Cups that were won.
iron mike keenan. great coach, but burns out the players. the players will do a mini rebellion .... this happen with the hawks and in many times of iron mike's career.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
iron mike keenan. great coach, but burns out the players. the players will do a mini rebellion .... this happen with the hawks and in many times of iron mike's career.

Plus, how many times in all sports do we see a team improve when the coach is replaced? Maybe it's just a coincidence but there are some reasons why it could happen. Players get out of the doghouse, marginal players need to prove themselves to the new coach, and/or a fresh set of eyes and adjustments can cause a sense of rejuvenation. Why would people think this wouldn't happen with the Hawks?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't know what exact formated reality these types of comments exist in. Improve from what?

Maybe since going back the last several years I've already thought Lavz is a top5 coach. Even with a Sullivan of hypothetical best coach possible in the league I don't see some scenario outside of Crow/Darling being immaculate leading to the Hawks winning vs that healthy strong Predators team.

I think a shelf life happens with coaches too but having improvement options matter vs just anyone least you have Boston like ideas

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Plus, how many times in all sports do we see a team improve when the coach is replaced? Maybe it's just a coincidence but there are some reasons why it could happen. Players get out of the doghouse, marginal players need to prove themselves to the new coach, and/or a fresh set of eyes and adjustments can cause a sense of rejuvenation. Why would people think this wouldn't happen with the Hawks?

Stubbornness? Or scared of change? Many people prefer familiarity over change. Even if that's not the right solution.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
re the bold, for discussion purpose, you are directly making a proportional representation or relation that the hawks had the talent and the lost had to be either players or coach.

it is not that easy. i play first with the players, it is the players to do what they should be able to do. the coach then comes into the equation with a viable, competitive gameplan.

the bottom line the players, all players needs to show up. the coach can not force the players talent to show up, if the player don't want it to.
I'm making a comparison based on talent brought to bear, not based on a player's name or reputation.

In 2016 playoffs we only had 2 or 3 players that brought any talent to bear. In 2017 playoffs, we had exactly *no* players bring any talent whatsoever to bear that couldn't have been replicated by AHL-quality players.

Now, I believe a chunk of that definitely falls onto the players proper. After all they are professionals with pedigree and sucking that hard would get all of us regular jackwagons fired from out jobs if we underperformed that badly.

The part about the coaching job you missed was getting the most out of the players in all situations, and that's where Q failed these playoffs. If that was the most the 'hawks could have brought they should all just retire now and work at the carwash where Scott Baio and Bronson Pinchot work. Q in that case failed to get anything out of them, much less the most out of them.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm making a comparison based on talent brought to bear, not based on a player's name or reputation.

In 2016 playoffs we only had 2 or 3 players that brought any talent to bear. In 2017 playoffs, we had exactly *no* players bring any talent whatsoever to bear that couldn't have been replicated by AHL-quality players.

Now, I believe a chunk of that definitely falls onto the players proper. After all they are professionals with pedigree and sucking that hard would get all of us regular jackwagons fired from out jobs if we underperformed that badly.

The part about the coaching job you missed was getting the most out of the players in all situations, and that's where Q failed these playoffs. If that was the most the 'hawks could have brought they should all just retire now and work at the carwash where Scott Baio and Bronson Pinchot work. Q in that case failed to get anything out of them, much less the most out of them.

you make a valid point in all that you wrote, excellent work !!

all thru the time of hockey coaches and management have tried to find a way to motivate, to inspire the players in the locker room. however if the players does not buy into it, no matter what is said, they will not produce.

this is where i am talking about. the player did not show up, plain and simple. this lost this past yr is on the players and in a small part nash unbelievable performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad