Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks trade Hjalmarsson to Arizona for Connor Murphy & Laurent Dauphin

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I kind of wish they would have traded Hammer for a high draft pick, or a really good prospect that is NHL ready instead of Murphy, and saved the cap room. But hard to complain about Murphy these days.
i understand the reasoning of settling on Murphy and pkg, with murphy, the hawks will have a d-man who can play now.

but the other part is i would have wanted a draft pick as well. for me, i guess it would the the other players who the hawks got in the trade, does in the coming yrs.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I would like the trade more if he weren't playing on his offside.. part of the reason Stan traded Hammer was because he wanted a young, RH defensemen who was in his correct position to help the transition game. Essentially the Hawks traded an older, but career better defensemen playing on his offside for a younger, higher upside defensemen.... playing on his offside.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The emergence of Rutta has kind of made the need of a RHD less of a need than it was when we traded Hammer.

Yeah people had hope for Rutta but it is not normal to add a top 4 dman like him out of the blue. I really think he is a 5 long term but it is still nice to add players like him.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's steadily improved all season.

Given Hammer's decline, I think you call the trade a win, I just think the possibility was there for an even bigger win given Hammer's perceived value at the time (or, more fairly, what I perceived his perceived value to be at the time... Im not on the phone with GMs so no way to know).

I can see @Hawkaholic's concerns re: the long term cap hit, but if he continues to grow and eventually plateaus at a 2nd pairing level, then moving a #3 or #4 making 3.8 or whatever shouldnt be particularly difficult if it needs to happen.

Last edited:

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can

Given Hammer's decline, I think you call the trade a win, I just think the possibility was there for an even bigger win given Hammer's perceived value at the time (or, more fairly, what I perceived his perceived value to be at the time... Im not on the phone with GMs so no way to know).

I can see Hawkaholic's concerns re: the long term cap hit, but if he continues to grow and eventually plateaus at a 2nd pairing level, then moving a #3 or #4 making 3.8 or whatever shouldnt be particularly difficult if it needs to happen.

I/we will never know who SB was on the phone regarding Hammer's availability but I would imagine there would have been better offers league wide for NH and that was my concern/questioning on the trade.

Murphy has performed exactly as I thought he would though and happily, he appears to be even getting better than what I initially expected.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I can see @Hawkaholic's concerns re: the long term cap hit, but if he continues to grow and eventually plateaus at a 2nd pairing level, then moving a #3 or #4 making 3.8 or whatever shouldnt be particularly difficult if it needs to happen.

You don't trade #3 defenseman making 3.8 per.

Reactions: BK

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
the league saw hammers pl;ay the last 2 years as well and he looked a lot more like a 30 year old #3 then a top pairing guy like when he was 23-27.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
You don't trade #3 defenseman making 3.8 per.

It's certainly not likely, but given the contracts this team has, if for whatever reason they find themselves with an abundance of even better options through the pipeline (or say, need to move a chunk of salary to get OEL.... don't kill my dreams), then 3.8mil shouldn't be too hard to move.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It's certainly not likely, but given the contracts this team has, if for whatever reason they find themselves with an abundance of even better options through the pipeline (or say, need to move a chunk of salary to get OEL.... don't kill my dreams), then 3.8mil shouldn't be too hard to move.
i imho see this 3.8 salary as the unheard salary of Marcus Kruger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad