Blackhawks - Season Starting Roster

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Carcillo looked good at times but lets not forget he played some dumb hockey last year. He was suspended for a short stint in the middle of the season, he was also a healthy scratch.

The game he went out in seemed like a real turning point for the Hawks.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Carcillo is a good bottom-six player if he is under control and plays with edge, not dirtiness. Due to our lack of depth, he was thrown into the top-six and did a respectable job.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
He's good enough to throw in the top six when needed within a game or temporarily but he really shouldn't be there on a permanent basis. That's not ideal.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
He's good enough to throw in the top six when needed within a game or temporarily but he really shouldn't be there on a permanent basis. That's not ideal.

I think a lot of players are good enough to throw into the top-6 when you have four FW's like Toews/Kane/Sharp/Hossa. The idea that every team has 6 forwards who can put up 50+ points is a myth. Hawks won the Cup with Brouwer as 1st liner for most of the year. Kopecky played in top-6 occasionally.

In general it is just a poor idea to try to stack your top-2 lines with talent at the expense of your bottom-6.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Carcillo looked good at times but lets not forget he played some dumb hockey last year. He was suspended for a short stint in the middle of the season, he was also a healthy scratch.

The game he went out in seemed like a real turning point for the Hawks.

He had one really dumb play last year - the hit on Gilbert. Other than that, he seemed to play within himself and drew more penalties than he took. I still remember a game against St.Louis last year when Chicago was down, St.Louis was gooning it up - per usual - and Carcillo was moved up the line-up with Toews and Kane, more-or-less helping stick up for them and Chicago came back to win the game in dominant fashion.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
He had one really dumb play last year - the hit on Gilbert. Other than that, he seemed to play within himself and drew more penalties than he took. I still remember a game against St.Louis last year when Chicago was down, St.Louis was gooning it up - per usual - and Carcillo was moved up the line-up with Toews and Kane, more-or-less helping stick up for them and Chicago came back to win the game in dominant fashion.

He needs to be on the ice to help the team. Fact is, he was suspended 3 different times last year, one being a carry over from the previous season.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He needs to be on the ice to help the team. Fact is, he was suspended 3 different times last year, one being a carry over from the previous season.

He was suspended twice last year. Yes a suspension carried over, but he wasn't suspended as a Hawk for that incident.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
I like Carcillo, but I don't think it's true that he drew more penalties than he took. I think it was more a wash leaning towards taking more penalties. Someone stat-savvy might want to check it out.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I agree.... and I still think that hit was overblown in its seriousness due to his reputation. The opps player saw it coming, wasn't smart enough to back off, even braced himself and just got overpowered. The awkardness in how he fell into the boards made it appear worse. Some here it seems made their minds up about Carcillo before he played a single game here, and after the hit and his injury, more than a few were agreeing that he'd never wear a Hawk uniform again. Wrong.

Anyway I think Carcillo is once again an intricate part of this team and could easily bag 15-20 goals in a full season while keeping the back of a few of our key players.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
My point is he needs to be on the ice to help the team. He played 44 games last year and his season ending injury was completely on him.

That's splitting hairs a bit, don't you think? Guy was trying to make a hit. Dirty or not, it's hockey. Are you really going to blame players for getting injured attempting to make hits? Would you rather them not attempt them? I get your general train of thought but I mean...that's a pretty unreasonable judgement, at least in my opinion. He wasn't going for a dirty hit or a clean hit, he was just giong for a hit, period. It turned to be a pretty questionable one, but it's still a hockey play. Had it turned out to be clean, would you still lay the injury on him? If he tore an oblique taking a baseball swing at someone's head I'd be with you.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People want the Hawks to be tougher (Carcillo) but don't want a player who takes a lot of penalties. Of course the Hawks "lack of toughness" accounts for their very favorable penalty ratio (277 Power Plays last year vs. 233 Times Shorthanded) which accounts for almost as many Power Play Goals (42) than Penalty Kill Goals Allowed (51) despite the Hawks being atrocious in both Special Teams areas.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Anyone heard anything on the status of our old friend Rusty Olesz? Someone on the main board said he failed a physical in Rockford but anyone know what his status is now (where he is, who's roster is he on, why he hasn't been on waivers). Technically, he's up with the Blackhawks again, correct? He'd have to be waived to be assigned to a minor league in a new season.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
That's splitting hairs a bit, don't you think? Guy was trying to make a hit. Dirty or not, it's hockey. Are you really going to blame players for getting injured attempting to make hits? Would you rather them not attempt them? I get your general train of thought but I mean...that's a pretty unreasonable judgement, at least in my opinion. He wasn't going for a dirty hit or a clean hit, he was just giong for a hit, period. It turned to be a pretty questionable one, but it's still a hockey play. Had it turned out to be clean, would you still lay the injury on him? If he tore an oblique taking a baseball swing at someone's head I'd be with you.

People want the Hawks to be tougher (Carcillo) but don't want a player who takes a lot of penalties. Of course the Hawks "lack of toughness" accounts for their very favorable penalty ratio (277 Power Plays last year vs. 233 Times Shorthanded) which accounts for almost as many Power Play Goals (42) than Penalty Kill Goals Allowed (51) despite the Hawks being atrocious in both Special Teams areas.

C'mon, the guy is a bit reckless. I just want him to play tough and smart this year. Don't over analyze it. Playing half a season and missing the playoffs doesn't help the team.

I think the thing that surprised everyone or at least me is the guy can actually play some hockey. He's not just a side show.

Last edited:

Puckgenius*

I hope Olesz gets some time in call up this year. Same with Morin and Pirri

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Blue Liner proving yet again why he's my favorite poster on all of HF Boards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad