Blackhawks - Season Starting Roster

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
BertStare2.gif

Carcillo, to my surprise, admittedly, played very well in the top-six before the ACL tear. The Hawks' record with in the lineup versus him in the lineup was not quite the same. He did a lot of the dirty work, potted a few, and actually was distributing some quality passes. My only problem with Carcillo is the fact that he can be over aggressive. I love edgy guys that play with sandpaper. They just need to have self-control.

Why does Joe Flacco need to be in this thread?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Does no one remember how the Hawks were arguably the best team in the league until right before Carcillo went down? He'll be just fine wherever they slot him.

I do.

It's one of the major reasons I still feel this team is a Cup contender despite no major moves. The team that ended the season wasn't quite the same team that was 1st to 50 points.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I really think this team will surge when they get on a home stretch. With virtually no TC, familiarity will be key in the beginning.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Since when did Dan Carcillo make the difference between "serious Cup contender" and "early round fodder?"

The season is 82 games for a reason. Hawks were great in the first half, not so much in the second half. It just so happened that Carcillo was out for most of the latter - that doesn't mean his injury was the cause of the Hawks fall in the standings and quick exit from the playoffs.

This year it's 48 games, of course. But the best teams prove themselves in the playoffs, and we have already seen this edition of the Hawks twice over show us what they are.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Since when did Dan Carcillo make the difference between "serious Cup contender" and "early round fodder?"

The season is 82 games for a reason. Hawks were great in the first half, not so much in the second half. It just so happened that Carcillo was out for most of the latter - that doesn't mean his injury was the cause of the Hawks fall in the standings and quick exit from the playoffs.

This year it's 48 games, of course. But the best teams prove themselves in the playoffs, and we have already seen this edition of the Hawks twice over show us what they are.

You think Carcillo going down and us struggling after was a coincidence, eh?

Probably brought the moral down on top of the offensive production. I don't think the Hawks win or go to the SCF with Carcillo in the lineup, but he did make a difference at least in the regular season. I gave him no respect when he first came, but the guy really has grown on me. He just has to play under control and play with an edge and some sandpaper rather than dirtiness.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
You think Carcillo going down and us struggling after was a coincidence, eh?

Probably brought the moral down on top of the offensive production. I don't think the Hawks win or go to the SCF with Carcillo in the lineup, but he did make a difference at least in the regular season. I gave him no respect when he first came, but the guy really has grown on me. He just has to play under control and play with an edge and some sandpaper rather than dirtiness.

It just seems like an inanely weak excuse for a blatantly flawed team to me. Carcillo makes no real difference in the team's inability to play in their own zone or Crawford/Emery's laughable ineptitude at stopping the puck.

Plus, if a player who ideally belongs on a fourth line makes that much of a difference, I think there are some serious questions to be asked about a team. There should be a number of the guys waiting in the wings ready to offer what he does.

Carcillo grew on me too, but I can't buy into the suggestion that losing him caused Chicago to go so badly downhill (relatively speaking, given all of our expectations) during the second half of the season and bow out pretty easily in the spring.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
If Carcillo doesn't go down, I bet we don't drop 9 in a row. Which probably would have pushed us into the top 4 seeds.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
And maybe they lose a few extra games from a bad Carcillo penalty that they won with him injured.

Arguments from hypotheticality are easily countered just like that.
But in the end an essentially average grinder doesn't make the kind of difference in the first place that some seem to believe.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I bet if nobody ever got injured we'd win the cup every year

There's quite a difference between saying nobody got hurt and having one of the 5 best players in the league missing 25% of the season. When Toews got hurt I believe he was 3rd in the league in scoring (behind Giroux and Malkin).

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I do.

It's one of the major reasons I still feel this team is a Cup contender despite no major moves. The team that ended the season wasn't quite the same team that was 1st to 50 points.

They did have a very good start but I do recall that the scheduled was heavily front-loaded and that the Hawks played 4-5 more games than most of the other teams in the league at that point, mainly the other teams with good records.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Carcillo grew on me too, but I can't buy into the suggestion that losing him caused Chicago to go so badly downhill (relatively speaking, given all of our expectations) during the second half of the season and bow out pretty easily in the spring.

I'm as big a Carcillo supporter as anyone and I agree with this. It was a tough loss, tougher than some may want to admit, but him going down alone did not completely bring the team down and cause the end result. Lot of other issues at hand there that we've all covered and debated extensively and continue to.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I don't think Carcillo back makes us much more of a Cup contender, but I say they would have won a couple more games with him in the lineup. The Hawks would have been a higher seed and still would have been exposed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad