Blackhawks - Season Starting Roster

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
yeah, Gomez would do good enough here.

Pirri just seems to be not impressiv enough for Q.

Tim Sassone ‏@TimSassone

Not exactly tearing it up at Rockford. “@Hawkman112: @TimSassone Pirri must be pissed, he can play in this league just not for Q”

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Darren Dreger just tweeted that Toronto doesn't intend to buyout Connolly, if he clears, and he likely will, he'll be assigned to the Marlies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Darren Dreger just tweeted that Toronto doesn't intend to buyout Connolly, if he clears, and he likely will, he'll be assigned to the Marlies.

he's on the last year of his contact...if they did an accelerated buyout they'd still have to pay his contract for the year - so there's no point. they're just wasting a buyout.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
he's on the last year of his contact...if they did an accelerated buyout they'd still have to pay his contract for the year - so there's no point. they're just wasting a buyout.

Agreed, but you have to think you could have him for next to nothing. Throw them a 5th round pick.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Chicago can get him for free, but it would be his entire salary. Re-entry waivers no longer exist, so its either full salary, or none. The only way we can get him at half salary is to trade for him and TO eats a portion of his contract.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
There's no way I'd take Connolly at his full salary, even if it is pro-rated over the 48-game season. The guy can't stay healthy in the East, how's he going to stay healthy having to play Nashville, St.Louis, LA and Vancouver?

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Couldn't they just claim him off waivers at half the salary without giving up an asset?

I am not endorsing this, just asking.

No, they threw that out in the new CBA and it would have had to be on recall waivers.

Connolly has missed an avg of 12 games a year for 3 yrs.

Leafs might trade him and eat some salary.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Would have liked connolly.... Odds are nyi will pick him up... Should have given late round pick for him.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
An interesting name on the waiver-wire is Leland Irving. He's posted solid, but unspectacular numbers in the AHL (2.45GAA, .909Sv%), was drafted in the 1st round in 2006 and had a good Sv% in the NHL last year in 5 games at .912. Not saying he's going to be a starter in the NHL, but he'd be, at least, a nice depth pick-up and would bring some healthy competiton to Rockford.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Irving for the AHL. Not much in the pipeline at the moment, no reason not to take a shot.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
on the TSN NHL preview show they picked us to finish 4th in the West and get to the conference final before being beaten by LA.

I think the teams that are most similar to the previous year will get off to the best starts, but as teams gel and get used to playing with new guys, new systems, etc., we will get overtaken by a few teams. LA and Chicago are the most similar of a lot of teams out there. Not surprised at their picks.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think they can beat the Blues, I'm more worried about facing PHX or NSH over STL. Hawks always seem to play poorly against those 2 teams.

Puckgenius*

Carcillo - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Gomez - Hossa
Stalberg - Bolland - Saad
Bickell - Kruger - Shaw
Bollig/Mayers

T

Nice lines but no way Carcillo belongs anywhere close to the top line. He doesnt have the offensive instincts. Even Shaws pesky game would be a better fit.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Nice lines but no way Carcillo belongs anywhere close to the top line. He doesnt have the offensive instincts. Even Shaws pesky game would be a better fit.

BertStare2.gif

Carcillo, to my surprise, admittedly, played very well in the top-six before the ACL tear. The Hawks' record with in the lineup versus him in the lineup was not quite the same. He did a lot of the dirty work, potted a few, and actually was distributing some quality passes. My only problem with Carcillo is the fact that he can be over aggressive. I love edgy guys that play with sandpaper. They just need to have self-control.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago

Carcillo has some pretty decent skill. I don't think he'd be a liability plus opposing players would be more hesitant to take a run at Toews, Kane, Hossa, etc. That Carcillo Kane Hossa line was pretty damn good last year.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Carcillo has some pretty decent skill. I don't think he'd be a liability plus opposing players would be more hesitant to take a run at Toews, Kane, Hossa, etc. That Carcillo Kane Hossa line was pretty damn good last year.

Yeah that was surprisingly effective. Carcillo can play a little. But you can't have him on the ice for top-6 minutes so others have to fill in on those lines occasionally.

In the end he can be a liability because he goes over the line too often. When he shows restraint he is an effective hockey player for sure, but he's mostly a part-timer on the top lines if you ask me.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

You do realize, don't you, that Carcillo-Toews-Hossa has been the top line in training camp all week. Apparently Q thinks Carcillo has enough game to allow him to ride shotgun for Toews and Hossa. And, recall that Carcillo-Kane-Hossa was the 2nd line at the start of last season and they did fairly well.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
Does no one remember how the Hawks were arguably the best team in the league until right before Carcillo went down? He'll be just fine wherever they slot him.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
If we waived him to go to Rockford, CGY would just re-claim him.
Just keep him up, roll 3 G's, and send Bollig down.

I like the idea in theory but I'm not crazy about burning a roster spot on a third goaltender. Too valuable a roster spot in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad