GDT: Blackhawks @ Jets - 2:00 CT NBCSCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
So you want to rush like a Toronto, Buffalo, and Edmonton? ...why? This prospect pool/depth was much closer to Buffalo when they got Eichel or Dahlin too than the others.

I dont get the desire to rush to fill a team with talent it doesn't need when it will result on wearing the long term pathways to success. It will result in a at beat Toronto style constant playoff failure of a team because having 4-5 stars spread out in roster spots is key. This team has 1... that makes them so far away. Having 2 great stars is still having nothing, thats being like Edmonton
Rush no, bring in a bit more talent to play with Bedard, yes. You don't leave the cupboard completely bare, every one of these draft picks may end up busting or being mediocre.

Reactions: Pez68

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
I did see Reicjel win a face off clean that led to s et play/scoring chance.

But again, at the 10 minute mark 3rd period he had a step down the left wing during a Hawks line change. Does he turn it on and go the net, score, shoot, draw a penalty? Nope!

Sends it backwards toward the neutral zone. About 20 seconds later off a draw in Hawks end 3-1.

Is he really all tools and no tool box or what?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It used to be sinking ship, it was changed to salvaged when the franchise turned it around in around 2008. I haven’t reverted back yet, but I use it on other Chicago sports boards and with the state of the franchises in this city sinking might be more appropriate.

Ship of Theseus

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I did see Reicjel win a face off clean that led to s et play/scoring chance.

But again, at the 10 minute mark 3rd period he had a step down the left wing during a Hawks line change. Does he turn it on and go the net, score, shoot, draw a penalty? Nope!

Sends it backwards toward the neutral zone. About 20 seconds later off a draw in Hawks end 3-1.

Is he really all tools and no tool box or what?

They broke his confidence. He's being overcoached, I imagine.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
All I keep seeing just makes me think this..
FUHfiS7X0AAe-XD.jpg

I really don't yet why people see the Oilers, Toronto, or Buffalo models and want to duplicate them. Thinking it can be done just making the "right" decisions is a fantasy approach.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
All I keep seeing just makes me think this.. View attachment 776926

I really don't yet why people see the Oilers, Toronto, or Buffalo models and want to duplicate them. Thinking it can be done just making the "right" decisions is a fantasy approach.
Okay what do you want to do? Suck for 5 years and Bedards 23 and inching closer to UFA and we haven’t won shit? No thanks.

Also Toronto has a perennially good team they just haven’t gotten over the hump. Buffalo never had a player as good as Bedard. Edmonton made tons of mistakes.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Stop trying to screw the whole rebuild because of some losses in Bedard’s age 18 season. Christ people, it’s not that complicated. You offer him an 8 year extension July 1, 2025 and if he accepts you have him for a min of 11 years absent a trade. Clean cap and building up the prospect pool are of paramount importance.

Reactions: BHawks77 and Giovi

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Okay what do you want to do? Suck for 5 years and Bedards 23 and inching closer to UFA and we haven’t won shit? No thanks.

Also Toronto has a perennially good team they just haven’t gotten over the hump. Buffalo never had a player as good as Bedard. Edmonton made tons of mistakes.
Mostly, but why are you afraid a star player is going to leave? Follow staticial norms of what happens. Do you want to build a contending team or a team with no actual playoff future who is happy to win a round?

I dont think you should get hopes up of charging course. Davidson said before Bedard he knew what was a 3-5 year rebuild. We knew last year it was that. Getting Bedard, Carlsson, Fantelli, or Michkov was always apart of that. The cupboard was bare of talent. I don't get at all the conclusions of Bedard makes it different. If he does hit McDavid, Matthews. Or MacKinnon level consistently... they didn't succeed when trying to sign outside talent. Another body sure. But not the ambition of people wanting to sign multiple big talents or Nylander like deals.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Drafting and developing is great and its the best way to secure core star players. However, drafting is hardly an exact science and we're going to need to take advantage of other avenues to fill out the rest of the roster and there's no reason to not start soon. I mean, even look at the past 2 years of high draft picks. Outside of Bedard (who is a Blackhawk because of sheer luck), no ones a sure fire first line player. Nazar is closest imo and even then he's still just a ppg in college and he lost a year of development to injury. People were expecting an easy 55+ points Reichel this season en route to becoming a point per game winger and now who knows what he ends up becoming.

Like it or not, drafting Bedard has changed things and last thing we want is for his development to stall or for him to become disgruntled.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Drafting and developing is great and its the best way to secure core star players. However, drafting is hardly an exact science and we're going to need to take advantage of other avenues to fill out the rest of the roster and there's no reason to not start soon. I mean, even look at the past 2 years of high draft picks. Outside of Bedard (who is a Blackhawk because of sheer luck), no ones a sure fire first line player. Nazar is closest imo and even then he's still just a ppg in college and he lost a year of development to injury. People were expecting an easy 55+ points Reichel this season en route to becoming a point per game winger and now who knows what he ends up becoming.

Like it or not, drafting Bedard has changed things and last thing we want is for his development to stall or for him to become disgruntled.
Well said. Ask Buffalo and Arizona how losing and getting high draft picks works. At some point you have to look at some established long term stars. If you have the cap space and a high end player becomes available, someone who may not ever be available again, they what are you waiting for? We absolutely lucked into Bedard, he must get at least some high quality line mates. Not saying go all out next offseason but at least a couple of much higher quality guys to support Bedard.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Not concerned about the losses in his 18 year old season. I’m more concerned about the overall lack of talent on the roster in his 18 year old season. We are the 2nd least talented team in the league.

It adds more pressure and accelerates the rebuild. Those are facts. I’m not saying we compete tomorrow. Or even in 2024. I’m saying you start trying to find pieces to add to your roster in other ways than the draft.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Agree with whoever said you pray Nylander goes UFA then pay him what he wants.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Nazar and Reichel were never garuntee picks. That's why they need those top 5 picks or top 3. They generally do have a 3/4 chance of hitting. Yes some bust, not that many in hockey. Sometimes the guys who aren't good enough you are smart and trade early you get good value for.

That's how Tampa got on by trading Drouin despite him being a letdown. Top 10 generally help too. Like Tampa with 4K too but him Ruuta weren't far off in ability I think.

But if the Hawks say wind up with Bedard and Celebrini or Eiserman... thinking that's good to add talent to and try to move on is like thinking the Oilers have McDrai therefore they should win. But you need more sure bets than that.

I dont get this desire to be the maple leafs. Even Buffalo signed talent vecause of this idea with Eichel. They didn't suck because they didn't sign players. They did! That's a big issue of what hurt them 2-4yrs later when they should of been able to try. They signed okposso, gionta, and even added Kane who was hurt but the deadline trade. Saying just make good ufa signings is living in a faulty reality.

If Nylander is available, it makes no sense for Chicago. It's like when Toronto signed Tavares. It made no sense and hurt their future.

Blackhawksfirecoach

Oct 20, 2021
Wondered how long before the impatience started on the board. 25% of the season…….

we shouldn't abandon the rebuild at all. would just be nice for Bedard to have someone to play with at his level asap. paying a bit for that might be worth it, if it's someone we can get with term.

if there are no moves to be made to allow that to happen, then f*** it. Bedard is going to be fine in the long run.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Well said. Ask Buffalo and Arizona how losing and getting high draft picks works. At some point you have to look at some established long term stars. If you have the cap space and a high end player becomes available, someone who may not ever be available again, they what are you waiting for? We absolutely lucked into Bedard, he must get at least some high quality line mates. Not saying go all out next offseason but at least a couple of much higher quality guys to support Bedard.
Arizona hasn’t had that many high picks. Bedard is doing just fine.

Not concerned about the losses in his 18 year old season. I’m more concerned about the overall lack of talent on the roster in his 18 year old season. We are the 2nd least talented team in the league.
Hence why you need to draft it and not blow your cap chasing mid players…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad