Biggest draft bust since 05/06?

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Why the hell are Murray and Siemens on there? They just got drafted, and both will be for sure top-4 d-men for their clubs.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Why the hell are Murray and Siemens on there? They just got drafted, and both will be for sure top-4 d-men for their clubs.

The fact that people are even calling players, from the 2011 and 2012 draft, busts already is ridiculous.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Beniot Pouliot has to be uphere. How a guy with so little hockey sense was ranked that high is amazing. Scouts must have been mesmerized by his puck skills during warm-ups.

Last edited:

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

As I specifically said earlier in this thread, I posted them because I wanted to pick sort of a "bust projection" if you will. I'm not saying they will become busts. I know it's early, I know they have yet to play pro hockey. But, I picked them because just about everyone else in their class has played well enough on their respectable junior or pro teams.

Siemens was not that impressive this past season, and his stats prove that. I got to see him a few times, and he is, right now, looking to be a bit of a hopeful when it comes to not being a bust. Sure, he'll be decent, but not the kind of guy I would take that high.

I only put Murray due to his injuries. He'll be great if he can delete all his nagging injuries that cause inconsistency.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
For me the biggest busts from each year. I left out people who didn't come over and stayed in Europe.

05 draft: Sasha Pokulok. 14th overall.
06 draft- Mark Mitera. 19th overall (almost picked Johnson here)
07 draft- Thomas Hickey. 4th overall
08 Draft- Kyle Beach. 11th overall.
09 draft- Scott Glennie. 9th overall
10 draft- Dylan McIlrath. 10th overall. (almost picked Connolly)
11 draft- Duncan Siemens- 11th overall
12 draft- Too early, but Ryan Murray is my pick here. Injuries and inconsistency worry me.

re: 2008 at least Beach is still playing in the AHL

Chet Pickard, who the Preds took at 18 (instead of staying where they were and drafting Karlsson), washed out of the ECHL and is playing overseas already

(the only thing that doesnt make that trade totally suck is we used the extra pick from Ottawa to draft Taylor Beck who looks like he's gonna be pretty solid

Finnish Raider

Jan 12, 2013
Minnesota/Tampere
Marek Zagrapan. He didn't suck at AHL, but didn't impress either. Kinda weird that he didn't even get a chance in NHL during his three year stint in AHL. His career has been horrible after going back to Europe. Not even close to NHL at age of 26. Bust.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Angelo Esposito all the way, very few have had so much hype since their rookie junior season to do less than nothing.

Alaxander Radulov made him look good.

Speaking of which Does Radulov count? Has all the talent but no desire to play in North America. And when he came back last year it looked like he regressed.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Beniot Pouliot has to be uphere. How a guy with so little hockey sense was ranked that high is amazing. Scouts must have been mesmerized by his puck skills during warm-ups.

3rd liner who proved who can play on a 2nd line in a pinch is much better than, say, Nikita Filatov.

And Pouliot at 4th is MUCH better than Alexandre Picard at 6th.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You beat me to it David Fischer was a huge bust and Leblanc is not far behind.

How is Leblanc so much a bust, while Kreider isn't even mentionned in this thread?

Both aren't busts at all AT THIS POINT. Even though they're disappointments.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Marek Zagrapan. He didn't suck at AHL, but didn't impress either. Kinda weird that he didn't even get a chance in NHL during his three year stint in AHL. His career has been horrible after going back to Europe. Not even close to NHL at age of 26. Bust.

Now THAT is a bust.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Alaxander Radulov made him look good.

Speaking of which Does Radulov count? Has all the talent but no desire to play in North America. And when he came back last year it looked like he regressed.

well, he technically doesnt count for this thread because he was drafted in 2004

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Does Jordan Staal count? I know he's not a bust exactly because he's still a good 2nd line center but he was picked ahead of Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, and James Sheppard

You mean the same guy who's progression was stunted in Pittsburgh because of him playing behind the two best players in the world? The same guy who would have had 60+ points the last 3 years (if he had played full season) and has been a finalist for the Selke?

That's a bust?

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Guys, it's Patrick White. This isn't close.

The guy was taken right before David Perron, flamed out of two consecutive WJC tryout camps where he should have easily made it as a bottom-6 player, put up horrendous numbers two years in a row at college, never played one preseason or AHL game with the Canucks and was basically made available for nothing. Gillis only got Ehrhoff out of him because the Sharks were desperate to make room for Heatley.

He now plays Tier 3 hockey in Germany. Yes, Tier 3. That's close to beer league.

Absolutely horrible pick.

I thought of this too when I first clicked the thread.

He was a lower first round pick so at least it's not a shocking disappointment but still a terrible, mind-boggling choice.

This guy just seemed to get worse and worse every year. How the hell he got picked in the first round, I'll never know.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Mark Mitera from the 07 draft was a terrible pick. He never even played a game in the NHL. In fact, I think the highest level he played in was the ECHL. I don't think he ever played in the AHL and if he did it wasn't for very long

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
For me the biggest busts from each year. I left out people who didn't come over and stayed in Europe.

05 draft: Sasha Pokulok. 14th overall.
06 draft- Mark Mitera. 19th overall (almost picked Johnson here)
07 draft- Thomas Hickey. 4th overall
08 Draft- Kyle Beach. 11th overall.
09 draft- Scott Glennie. 9th overall
10 draft- Dylan McIlrath. 10th overall. (almost picked Connolly)
11 draft- Duncan Siemens- 11th overall
12 draft- Too early, but Ryan Murray is my pick here. Injuries and inconsistency worry me.

05 : Biggest bust: Zagrapan Biggest dissapointment: Pouliot
06: B Helenius (1 NHL game 15th overall) D James Sheppard
07: Alex Plante D Thomas Hickey (He'll be a nhl regular)
08: Kyle Beach D Nikita Filatov
09: Glennie D Paajarvi
10: Dissapointing so far: I guess Forbort?
11: I guess Mark McNeill ?
12: Rielly? :sarcasm:
13: Whoever is drafted by the leafs/bruins ? :naughty:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If Filatov doesn't define "Bust" I'm not sure who does. I don't care if he did/does have the skill, he didn't have the metal and did nothing for his lofty status.

As for 2011 and 2012, you shouldn't even include that in the list. Way too early to pick someone from those classes.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Mark Mitera from the 07 draft was a terrible pick. He never even played a game in the NHL. In fact, I think the highest level he played in was the ECHL. I don't think he ever played in the AHL and if he did it wasn't for very long

Mitera played almost 200 games in the AHL, which was quite a bit more than ECHL games. You might want to check your facts.

I had no problem with Anaheim picking Mitera. Until his ACL injury, he looked right on track to be an NHL player.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I like how Duncan Siemens is 19 years old, and is already considered a bust.

Even though in the Sask vs Halifax game, he shut MacKinnon and Drouin down and Sask won the game. BUST!

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Jordan Staal is definitely not bust.

BUT it really sucks to think we could have had Crosby, Malkin AND Jonathan ****ing Toews in Pittsburgh. :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00