Biggest draft bust since 05/06?

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
For me the biggest busts from each year. I left out people who didn't come over and stayed in Europe.

05 draft: Sasha Pokulok. 14th overall.
06 draft- Mark Mitera. 19th overall (almost picked Johnson here)
07 draft- Thomas Hickey. 4th overall
08 Draft- Kyle Beach. 11th overall.
09 draft- Scott Glennie. 9th overall
10 draft- Dylan McIlrath. 10th overall. (almost picked Connolly)
11 draft- Duncan Siemens- 11th overall
12 draft- Too early, but Ryan Murray is my pick here. Injuries and inconsistency worry me.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Does Jordan Staal count? I know he's not a bust exactly because he's still a good 2nd line center but he was picked ahead of Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, and James Sheppard

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Does Jordan Staal count? I know he's not a bust exactly because he's still a good 2nd line center but he was picked ahead of Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, and James Sheppard

He's decent enough to the point where he's not as pressing as other busts who have never even played in the NHL.

I think Hickey and Hamill are pretty even, I picked Hickey cause he was higher picked.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Nick Petrecki could be put in too, but players like Paradis dont really have much value as busts considering they were late 1st. Glennie is for sure the bust of '09.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think Hickey and Hamill are pretty even, I picked Hickey cause he was higher picked.

I think the argument against Hickey would be LA had 2 easy chocies, either Gagner or Alzner(who were highly rated), in the case of Hamill the choices at that spot were more hit and miss(although 5 of the next 6 picks have went on to have good NHL careers, i know a few of them weren't rated to go in those spots)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
From 2005 draft Brule played nearly 300 nhl games while Marek Zagrapan, Sasha Pokulok, Alex Bourret played none. Sure Brule is a bust but he is not the worst pick of that draft class.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
From 2005 draft Brule played nearly 300 nhl games while Marek Zagrapan, Sasha Pokulok, Alex Bourret played none. Sure Brule is a bust but he is not the worst pick of that draft class.

Exactly.

There is a huge difference between 'draft busts' and 'draft disappointments or let downs'

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

Zagrapan played well in the AHL though he just didn't like it over here. He would've been solid had he stayed. Bourret put up 50 points which was great in his rookie AHL season but never did anything better than that and had injuries that sidelined him. Both could have been solid had zagrapan stayed and had Bouret been healthy.

Pokulok is the bust here IMO

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Is this post a joke? I'm guessing yes as you including the great James Sheppard.
Staal has:
Calder top 3 finish
Selke top 3 finish
A Cup ring
479 games played 130 goals 279 points
74 playoff games 23 playoff goals 36 playoff points

All before age 25 in what world is that a bust?

Reactions: Mittelstadt

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Is this post a joke? I'm guessing yes as you including the great James Sheppard.
Staal has:
Calder top 3 finish
Selke top 3 finish
A Cup ring
479 games played 130 goals 279 points
74 playoff games 23 playoff goals 36 playoff points

All before age 25 in what world is that a bust?

Staal by no means is a bust, your right.

But I think he's just saying that there were better players on the board when he was taken. Even then though, none of them have had more playoff success than Staal, except maybe Toews.

I have no idea why James Sheppard was mentioned, I lol'd.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Hahaha Jordan Staal a bust!? That's probably the funniest thing on these boards.

You don't have to become a 100 points player when you're drafted top 2-3. I'd rather have a Staal than a Kessel and Backstrom by far. You win with players like Staal and Toews. Staal might not be an offensive power but he has developed into a complete player. I will always remember his rookie year when he lead the league in short handed goals and especially, the pivotal moment during the stanley cup finals vs the Red Wings when he scored that SHG to turn the series around.

If Staal is a bust, than Erik Johnson is what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad