Biggest draft bust since 05/06?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
You really have to look at where they were drafted. Sure, Kyle Beach didnt meet expectations, but consider what you need to trade in order to move up from the 11th overall to the top 5 in a typical draft? Expectations are much higher near the lottery picks.

With that in mind...

Pouliot (4th overall), Brule (6th), Hickey (4th), and Filatov (6th) are probably the worst. Kinda hard to say much about the 2010 draft picks or later. Sure, Beach, Sheppard, and others have had worse careers then some of these guys, but theres also a difference in expectations due to draft slot.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Gilbert Brule BY FAR.

He was western Canada's answer to Sidney Crosby.

Not so much.

Scott Howson ruined him.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Gilbert Brule BY FAR.

Not so much.

Scott Howson ruined him.

Correction: Doug MacLean ruined him by proclaiming him our savior before he even played a game, only to set him up for massive failure because he had a team of AHLers around him. Little dude lasted 7 games before sustaining two injuries that ended his NHL stint for the year. Had a great memorial cup run, and the next year came to a Columbus team with, spoiler alert, little to no NHL talent.

Contrary to popular belief, Scott Howson wasn't a god awful GM. Aside from Filatov, his drafting record is pretty good. He sucked at handing out contracts, that's for sure, but he wasn't the worst GM of the decade like some would suggest.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Correction: Doug MacLean ruined him by proclaiming him our savior before he even played a game, only to set him up for massive failure because he had a team of AHLers around him. Little dude lasted 7 games before sustaining two injuries that ended his NHL stint for the year. Had a great memorial cup run, and the next year came to a Columbus team with, spoiler alert, little to no NHL talent.

Contrary to popular belief, Scott Howson wasn't a god awful GM. Aside from Filatov, his drafting record is pretty good. He sucked at handing out contracts, that's for sure, but he wasn't the worst GM of the decade like some would suggest.

My apologies.

Doug MacLean is an idiot.

I actually like Scott Howson and wish him all the luck in the world. I know his brother and he's a good guy from a lovely family.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Gilbert Brule BY FAR.

Not so much.

Scott Howson ruined him.
I won't disagree that Doug MacLean hurt him, but we can't ignore the off ice stuff and the fact that he went to the Oilers still quite young and was unable to have any meaningful career.

Any decent player should have been able to recover. Which means he was a bad pick, not really development. Still a bust though.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I won't disagree that Doug MacLean hurt him, but we can't ignore the off ice stuff and the fact that he went to the Oilers still quite young and was unable to have any meaningful career.

Not sure what you are insinuating with "off-ice stuff" so I won't put words in your mouth; however, if you are suggesting the guy was a partier/had a bad attitude/thought he was the man, I'd have to vehemently disagree. He was clinically depressed as a result of the caustic, absolutely ass-backwards relationship he had with his Dad. If anything, I'd say Brule has proven that off the ice he is a fantastic person. He didn't amount to much as an NHLer, but he's shown on multiple occasions that he is a good guy and I hope he is able to lead a fulfilling life in the long run

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Gilbert Brule BY FAR.

Not so much.

Scott Howson ruined him.

It's true. I remember wanting him so much at the draft and was disappointed when we drafted some guy named Carey Price instead.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Brule easily. It's too bad because he looked like he had the potential to be a very special player, he even teased us a little bit in EDM when it looked like he may have finally figured it out. Just didn't work out for him for whatever reason.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
There's a difference between a bust and a bad pick.

Pokulok, Glennie, and Hickey were bad picks (picked higher than they should have been)

Guys like Brule and Filatov were busts.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
For me the biggest busts from each year. I left out people who didn't come over and stayed in Europe.

05 draft: Sasha Pokulok. 14th overall.

A Dman at 14, compared to Poulet at 4th? Pokulok was at best drafted as a stay at home tough Dman right?

06 draft- Mark Mitera. 19th overall (almost picked Johnson here)

I'd say Sheppard at 9, Mitera at 19 isn't a highly touted guy really is he? simialr to Pokulok but 5 spots later.

07 draft- Thomas Hickey. 4th overall

hickey is a late bloomer and was seen as a reach in 07, either way he is solid now and you can't really use the bust label on him.

Gagner at 6 has never lived up to his skillset his one 8 point game aside and Zach Hamill at 8 looks to be the biggest "bust" IMO.

08 Draft- Kyle Beach. 11th overall.

some radio personality here screamed that the Canucks didn't draft Beach who was always a wing nut and pretty easy to figure out that he wouldn't make it but his size and skill set made him a gamble project at 11.

Picks 5-11, including Beach have all really under performed so take your pick.

09 draft- Scott Glennie. 9th overall

Yes Glennie stands out as a bust but so does Jordan Schroeder who I loved falling to the Canucks at 25th.

turns out 21 teams were right as Jordan never got better after his draft year (compared to where he should be)

10 draft- Dylan McIlrath. 10th overall. (almost picked Connolly)

Yes it could be McIlrath but he was a bit of a reach and another big stay at home type of Dman not really highly touted.

Connolly at 6 had superstar type of skills and might still pan out but probably not.

11 draft- Duncan Siemens- 11th overall

Duncan, another big Damn with limited offensive potential or hype, not sure he is a bust yet.

some guys under performing but still too early to really tell yet.

12 draft- Too early, but Ryan Murray is my pick here. Injuries and inconsistency worry me.

yes way too early and it won't be Murray who is a stud Dman, unless injuries take over.

my bet is that one of the forwards, maybe a Russian will be considered the biggest busts in 5 years time.

2013 just for fun...er no way too early and alot of guys have already played in the NHL, going to be looked at as a pretty solid 1st round year in the future IMO.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Not sure what you are insinuating with "off-ice stuff" so I won't put words in your mouth; however, if you are suggesting the guy was a partier/had a bad attitude/thought he was the man, I'd have to vehemently disagree. He was clinically depressed as a result of the caustic, absolutely ass-backwards relationship he had with his Dad. If anything, I'd say Brule has proven that off the ice he is a fantastic person. He didn't amount to much as an NHLer, but he's shown on multiple occasions that he is a good guy and I hope he is able to lead a fulfilling life in the long run

I am speaking about the issues with his dad which were a major distraction.

My point stands, Columbus didn't irreversably ruin him. He was traded while still young enough that, if he had the talent, he would have been able to make something of it. Instead, Edmonton couldn't make anything of him and neither could Phoenix.

Not saying he is a bad person or anything like that. I am saying that he was a poor pick and an example of how MacLean was bad at drafting. The scouts said Kopitar and MacLean overrode them because he didn't trust a draft pick from Slovenia.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I am speaking about the issues with his dad which were a major distraction.

My point stands, Columbus didn't irreversably ruin him. He was traded while still young enough that, if he had the talent, he would have been able to make something of it. Instead, Edmonton couldn't make anything of him and neither could Phoenix.

Not saying he is a bad person or anything like that. I am saying that he was a poor pick and an example of how MacLean was bad at drafting. The scouts said Kopitar and MacLean overrode them because he didn't trust a draft pick from Slovenia.

At the risk of defending MacLean, Brule was highly regarded, and indeed was seen as something like the WHL's answer to Crosby. It was a bit of a surprise to see him drop to sixth overall at the time.

Kopitar was also passed over by more than just Columbus. There was no excuse for Chicago, San Jose, Ottawa, or Vancouver to not select him. While I can't speak for the other teams, I know that in Vancouver until Bourdon's death, he was widely panned in large part simply because he was not Kopitar; this has almost disappeared since then, and the narrative has shifted considerably, but the sentiment for years was that the Canucks should have drafted Kopitar.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
At the risk of defending MacLean, Brule was highly regarded, and indeed was seen as something like the WHL's answer to Crosby. It was a bit of a surprise to see him drop to sixth overall at the time.

Kopitar was also passed over by more than just Columbus. There was no excuse for Chicago, San Jose, Ottawa, or Vancouver to not select him. While I can't speak for the other teams, I know that in Vancouver until Bourdon's death, he was widely panned in large part simply because he was not Kopitar; this has almost disappeared since then, and the narrative has shifted considerably, but the sentiment for years was that the Canucks should have drafted Kopitar.

On that note I'm surprised Brian Lee isn't being mentioned more

Karlsson2Turris*

For me the biggest busts from each year. I left out people who didn't come over and stayed in Europe.

05 draft: Sasha Pokulok. 14th overall.
06 draft- Mark Mitera. 19th overall (almost picked Johnson here)
07 draft- Thomas Hickey. 4th overall
08 Draft- Kyle Beach. 11th overall.
09 draft- Scott Glennie. 9th overall
10 draft- Dylan McIlrath. 10th overall. (almost picked Connolly)
11 draft- Duncan Siemens- 11th overall
12 draft- Too early, but Ryan Murray is my pick here. Injuries and inconsistency worry me.

lol how is Ryan Murray a bust. He played really well last year.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I'm curious about Scott Glennie.

Also, he was drafted #8 in 2009, not 9th.

Anyway, he's played in one single game (last game of the season) for the Stars in 11/12 season.

Just wondering why he hasn't been given a longer shot/any shot at the NHL level in close to 3 years?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Too bad you can't go back to '04...Cam Barker would be the runnaway winner...and to add insult to injury the Wild flipped Nicky Leddy to Chicago to acquire him:shakehead

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
2005- Jack Skille
2006- Jordan Staal
2007- Sam Gagner
2008- Nikita Filatov
2009- Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

I think anything from 2010-2014 is too soon to judge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad