Player Discussion: BIG Adam Lowry

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Been a Lowry lover from the start, had my white emblazoned with his name during the playoff season, good decision!!

I think he's a real Maurice success story, his game is mature beyond years and his value is significant in how he makes matching up with the Jets so difficult. I didn't love him on the PP last season and I'm glad Maurice recognized that was a poor fit, everything else though just screams high IQ player, definitely a comfort having him in the lineup.

Reactions: Ippenator

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Lowry has gained a bit of a step this year from last and has also been much better at driving play and gaining the zone with control. Also think he has been better with his positioning to start the breakout than last season. A lot of little things he's been doing better is the difference I see.

None of that would surprise me. The point is it is all just incremental moves on the same trajectory he has been on for 2.5 years. No sudden step change.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
None of that would surprise me. The point is it is all just incremental moves on the same trajectory he has been on for 2.5 years. No sudden step change.
I think the point is he's been better as an individual, not sure why the size of increment is relevant.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
How much of that is the difference between Matthias and Copp? He lost Armia for much of this year but Tanev also helped, just in a totally different style. He has also had a better D pair behind him much of this year. That also helps.

I don't see any difference between Lowry last year and this year as an individual. Team play is better this year. He is part of that but also benefiting from that.
Really? He had some games last year where he was great. A few with Armia where I was thinking "never split these two up, please!". It's just that he's bringing that game virtually every night now. And, as Ducky10 mentioned, he's faster - he caught up to and beat Stamkos to a puck last night...I just can't imagine 2015-16 or 2016-17 Lowry doing that.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Really? He had some games last year where he was great. A few with Armia where I was thinking "never split these two up, please!". It's just that he's bringing that game virtually every night now. And, as Ducky10 mentioned, he's faster - he caught up to and beat Stamkos to a puck last night...I just can't imagine 2015-16 or 2016-17 Lowry doing that.

Plus his passing has gone from 'not nhl calibre' to 'average'

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He certainly wasn't this dominant last year. He was ok, as far as 3rd liners go, but nothing remarkable. He's been on a totally different level this season.
screen-shot-2017-05-12-at-11-03-21-am1.png

I remember citing this a few times last year, noting that in terms of GAR Lowry was our 5th top forward, ranking above our #2C (Little). A lot of posters still seemed to like to peg him as a low-end 3C. I think he's been underappreciated by many on this board for a while, probably because of some struggles in his sophomore season. But he had a great d+2 season (WHL) and d+3 season (AHL) and a very good rookie NHL season, so I think a lot of the criticism was unwarranted and not very objective.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the point is he's been better as an individual, not sure why the size of increment is relevant.

Because someone was trying to make the point that this year might be an anomaly - or even playing for his next contract. It shows no sign of being either of those things, IMO. This is the real Adam Lowry.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I never noticed much game to game fluctaution last year. I'm not saying he isn't improved. Only that his improvement is just a continuation of the trajectory he has been on for some time.

Yeah, catching Stamkos was something. Tanev caught the '2nd fastest man in the NHL' too. :laugh: But the Jets are a slow team:sarcasm:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I remember citing this a few times last year, noting that in terms of GAR Lowry was our 5th top forward, ranking above our #2C (Little). A lot of posters still seemed to like to peg him as a low-end 3C. I think he's been underappreciated by many on this board for a while, probably because of some struggles in his sophomore season. But he had a great d+2 season (WHL) and d+3 season (AHL) and a very good rookie NHL season, so I think a lot of the criticism was unwarranted and not very objective.
Yes, well my eye test is admittedly flawed. Even looking at that chart though, Lowry's main GAR contribution was EV Defense (makes sense) and he's a definite tier below the "Top 6" forwards in EV Offense - which kind of makes him a prototypical 3rd liner IMO. When you stack up his overall GAR he comes out slightly ahead of Little and Laine, but I don't think that necessarily means he's a 2nd line forward...he's still way behind those two on offense.

Anyway, I'd like to see his GAR bar chart this year. The EVD piece must be far and away the highest on the team.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I never noticed much game to game fluctaution last year. I'm not saying he isn't improved. Only that his improvement is just a continuation of the trajectory he has been on for some time.

Yeah, catching Stamkos was something. Tanev caught the '2nd fastest man in the NHL' too. :laugh: But the Jets are a slow team:sarcasm:
I agree this isn't an outlier and he's been on this path for a long time. He's really the poster boy for D&D - the Jets decided to turn him into a shutdown C in St. John's in 2013-14 and here we are.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

Can't wait to see how big his EV strength D bar is this season.

He's certainly benefitted from having better linemates but his individual improvements in skating, puck control, passing, faceoffs have all had a big hand in his success. His zone entries/exits are gorgeous hlthese days. His strait line speed and quickness are way up.

There have been flashes of this in the past but he's really seemed to put the work in to take huge strides.

This is a PoMo success story. How many times in the past did he say they were training him for a job while a contingent of the fanbase was lamenting his ice time.

Reactions: Calendal

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Haven't seen any updates today so forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere, but is Big Adam okay after his injury in the 3rd?

Reactions: kanadalainen

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Anyone else worried that maybe Adam has some sort of chronic shoulder issue and could be headed for surgery at the end of the season, if not sooner.

Reactions: kanadalainen

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
That's good news for now, hopefully the examination doesn't reveal that the injury is worse than it looked.

I definitely don't want to lose Lowry for more than a couple of games again. Getting him and Scheifele back in the lineup will be huge.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
"Not significant."

*fast forward to tomorrow*

"Jets announce that Adam Lowry will be out for 2-4 weeks due to an UBI."

Yep. It's all about the context in JetsLand.

"Winnipeg Jets fans can relax: Adam Lowry's 3rd-period injury has been looked at, and it has been determined that the injury is not significant in terms of its implications for global currency markets.

"Both the yen and the Euro are likely to be unaffected by Lowse's LBI, for the next fiscal quarter at least", said coach Paul Maurice candidly. "In terms of hockey, we've listed him as day-to-day, and expect him back before the playoffs."

Reactions: Mud Turtle

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
"Not significant."

*fast forward to tomorrow*

"Jets announce that Adam Lowry will be out for 2-4 weeks due to an UBI."

No the Jets will say upper body injury that's day to day but it actually lasts 3-4 weeks!

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Well if he misses Saturday's game he might be going on i r again, hope it's not the case he has really solidified his game, funny to say but this team really needs him.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Did Lowry not have a concussion he just came back from? Is this for sure a shoulder injury this time? We really need a healthy Lowry. I really like Copp's game in the meantime.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Anyone else worried that maybe Adam has some sort of chronic shoulder issue and could be headed for surgery at the end of the season, if not sooner.
A little. He’s developed into an effective 3C, and I like him with Copp and Tanev. Though Tanev has no offensive ability. Absolutely nothing to contribute. Instead, when Scheifele is back:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Lowry-Roslovic
Tanev-Copp-Armia

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
A little. He’s developed into an effective 3C, and I like him with Copp and Tanev. Though Tanev has no offensive ability. Absolutely nothing to contribute. Instead, when Scheifele is back:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Lowry-Roslovic
Tanev-Copp-Armia
I think you are missing the whole purpose of that 3rd line. its not to score 1st but match up against other teams best lines and allow possibly both connor and roslovic now easier matchups on the 4th line.

Reactions: Jetsfareast

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
1st line gets punish by other teams best defensive units but still needs to score at incredible rate
2nd line suppose to relive 1st line scoring and relive 3rd line of tough match up
3rd line does all the dirty work
4th line should feast on easier match up though less minutes, punch in a goal 1 every 3/4 games but don't give up any goals against.

Hope Lowry is OK.
JETS super secretive with injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad