Player Discussion: BIG Adam Lowry

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Same amount of goals, 9 fewer games, tougher match-ups, mostly defensive zone starts, much less PP time, and playing with Copp/Tanev not Ehlers/Laine.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
A line of Lowry Copp and Armia would probably be a first line in the Khl or Liga.
Maybe defensively. But definitely not offensively. Depends of what you want to emphasize. They are anyway probably one of the best defensive lines in the NHL. But for sure that line would not have the offensive skills to be scoring very well in either Liiga or KHL. If you truly believe so, then you are seriously underestimating the class of both of those leagues.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Maybe defensively. But definitely not offensively. Depends of what you want to emphasize. They are anyway probably one of the best defensive lines in the NHL. But for sure that line would not have the offensive skills to be scoring very well in either Liiga or KHL. If you truly believe so, then you are seriously underestimating the class of both of those leagues.
I meant offensively. There is a reason ppl say players who can't crack a regular NHL line up should go play overseas. Regulars in the NHL should be able to dominate against players who won't ever sniff the NHL. Sure there are a few Laines but they are not dominant in the NHL like they were before the NHL.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I meant offensively. There is a reason ppl say players who can't crack a regular NHL line up should go play overseas. Regulars in the NHL should be able to dominate against players who won't ever sniff the NHL. Sure there are a few Laines but they are not dominant in the NHL like they were before the NHL.
Well I think then that you are one of those who seriously underestimate the need of pretty good pure skill level that a player needs to score well in Liiga or KHL. NHL is in speed and strength a clearly better league, and that is why players like Lowry and Copp are useful there, but neither of their skill levels are too high really. Especially Lowry I see no chance in being a first line player in KHL especially, and most probably neither in Liiga. He has such stone hands and is not capable of skillful playmaking which is usually expected from European league top line centers.

I doubt very much also that Copp would be a first liner in either league, as he is also lacking too much in pure skill. But he does have some more than Lowry and his skating is that good that maybe in some teams Copp would even get a first line energy grinder-kind of a role. But I’m pretty sure that on many teams he would be at best a second liner and in some teams a third liner.

Armia is the most skillful of the three and he has anyway played at a good level in Liiga already, so he would most probably get a first line job in Liiga, but because of his consistency issues with scoring he would not be a sure bet to hold on to a first line spot at least in KHL. In Liiga it would be really likeliest for him to succeed as a first liner. But as a full line, I see no chance in hell that those three would form a number one line in Liiga or neither in KHL.

Oh, and not all NHL regulars have even made really impressive careers in either Liiga or KHL when they have gone there. And Laine wasn’t really at all dominating more in Liiga than how he did in his rookie season in the NHL. Sure he had magnificent playoffs in Liiga, but in the regular season he was not that much really dominating. No NHL players have been really clearly dominating in Liiga when the last NHL lockouts have been going on. Erik Karlsson as probably the most dominating one of all of them, but even he did just barely score with a slightly better point production than he has had in the NHL. Some NHL’rs point production was even weaker than it was in the NHL. That should tell also something.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well I think then that you are one of those who seriously undrestimate the need of pretty good pure skill level that a player needs to score well in Liiga or KHL. NHL is in speed and strength a clearly better league, and that is why players like Lowry and Copp are useful there, but bither of their skill levels are too high really. Especially Lowry I see no chance in being a first line player in KHL especially, and most probably neither in Liiga. He has such stone hands and is not capable of skillful playmaking which is usually expected from European league top line centers.

I doubt very much also that Copp would be a first liner in either league, as he is also lacking too much in pure skill. But he does have some more than Lowry and his skating is that good that maybe in some teams Copp would even get a first line energy grinder-kind of a role. But I’m pretty sure that on many teams he would be at best a second liner and in some teams a third liner.

Armia is the most skillful of the three and he had anyway played at a good level in Liiga, so he would most probably get a first line job in Liiga, but because of his consistency issues with scoring he would not be a sure bet to hold on to a first line spot st least in KHL. In Liiga it would be really likeliest for him to succes as a first liner. But as a full line, I see no chance in hell that those three would form a number on line in Liiga or neither in KHL.
Interesting perspective. I always saw it as a CFL NFL kind of thing. The best Liga and KHL players want to be NHLers. So I figured that it would be like pitting decent college hockey players against a regular high school team. All high schoolers eventually want to play college but only the best players in the league in each city will eventually go on to the next level. Only the best players from that 10,000 will go on to play professional in leagues like the Liga. Only the best Liga players have a chance at cracking the NHL. Therefore, to take a decent line and play them against a lower level they would dominate.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Well I think then that you are one of those who seriously undrestimate the need of pretty good pure skill level that a player needs to score well in Liiga or KHL. NHL is in speed and strength a clearly better league, and that is why players like Lowry and Copp are useful there, but neither of their skill levels are too high really. Especially Lowry I see no chance in being a first line player in KHL especially, and most probably neither in Liiga. He has such stone hands and is not capable of skillful playmaking which is usually expected from European league top line centers.

Armia is the most skillful of the three and he has anyway played at a good level in Liiga already, so he would most probably get a first line job in Liiga, but because of his consistency issues with scoring he would not be a sure bet to hold on to a first line spot at least in KHL. In Liiga it would be really likeliest for him to succeed as a first liner. But as a full line, I see no chance in hell that those three would form a number one line in Liiga or neither in KHL.

Oh, and not all NHL regulars have even made really impressive careers in either Liiga or KHL when they have gone there. And Laine wasn’t really at all dominating more in Liiga than how he did in his rookie season in the NHL. Sure he had magnificent playoffs in Liiga, bu in the regular season he was not that much really dominating. No NHL players have been really clearly dominating in Liiga when the last NHL lockouts have been going on. Erik Karlsson as probably the most dominating one of all of them, but even he did just barely score with a slightly better point production than he has had in the NHL. Some NHL’rs point production was even weaker than it was in the NHL. That should tell also something.

I disagree. You can not straight out say Lowry-Copp-Armia could not dominate in Liiga. Like I already said Stephen Dixon was a point per game in Liiga and in AHL he was similar 0.5 ppg player to Lowry, Armia and Copp.

Most players who have won the Kultainen Kypärä have ended up as third line plugs in the NHL in the vain of Jori Lehterä, Ville Peltonen and Antti Miettinen. Freaking Tony Salmelainen won the MVP in Liiga and he was nothing more than a speedster in steroids. Absolute zero vision or skill.

Kultainen kypärä - Wikipedia

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Well I think then that you are one of those who seriously underestimate the need of pretty good pure skill level that a player needs to score well in Liiga or KHL. NHL is in speed and strength a clearly better league, and that is why players like Lowry and Copp are useful there, but neither of their skill levels are too high really. Especially Lowry I see no chance in being a first line player in KHL especially, and most probably neither in Liiga. He has such stone hands and is not capable of skillful playmaking which is usually expected from European league top line centers.

Oh, and not all NHL regulars have even made really impressive careers in either Liiga or KHL when they have gone there. And Laine wasn’t really at all dominating more in Liiga than how he did in his rookie season in the NHL. Sure he had magnificent playoffs in Liiga, but in the regular season he was not that much really dominating. No NHL players have been really clearly dominating in Liiga when the last NHL lockouts have been going on. Erik Karlsson as probably the most dominating one of all of them, but even he did just barely score with a slightly better point production than he has had in the NHL. Some NHL’rs point production was even weaker than it was in the NHL. That should tell also something.
Lowry would 100% be a first line center in either leagues, maybe not in SKA though.

Reactions: Halberdier

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

Lowry doesn't have stone hands anymore. His passing has massively improved, and I think this label is just a relic of his previous seasons.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Lowry would 100% be a first line center in either leagues, maybe not in SKA though.
Absolutely not. First line centers in Liiga and KHL have to first of all have hands, and in addition to that have good playmaking skills, and unfortunately Lowry has neither of them at a good enough level. But he would definitely be a very useful center still for any team in the world. Just a big no as a number one center in any of the more skill emphasizing leagues in either Europe or North America. I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be a number one center in the AHL either. His strengths and weaknesses are just not suitable for that role at all.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Lowry doesn't have stone hands anymore. His passing has massively improved, and I think this label is just a relic of his previous seasons.
Sure he has improved in those areas by some amount. But not in that big way that he could be called a skilled player by either means. In his role and with his strengths he is still a great player. Just not what some people seem to already have started thinking of him. He is a strong shutdown center and every point he scores in addition to that is always a welcome bonus. But that’s what he is, and no need to make him seem like a better player than he really is skillwise. He is still great as he is and I definitely appreciate him as a player.

I have watched almost all Jets games for the last two Jets seasons and I have seen some slight improvement with Lowry’s hands and his passing skills. But not really that big improvement thought that it would change my his of him still having quite a set of stone hands. But he is really great in what he does well, which is great for the Jets for sure.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As a 19 year old in the WHL Lowry had 45 goals and 88 points (led his team in scoring by a margin of 30 points), and was named WHL Player of the Year.

As a 20 year old rookie in the AHL he scored at a 20 goal pace for the season. Petan is on pace for 20 goals this season. Spacek is on pace for 13 goals as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL this season.

The narrative that Lowry has "stone hands" is bogus.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
As a 19 year old in the WHL Lowry had 45 goals and 88 points (led his team in scoring by a margin of 30 points), and was named WHL Player of the Year.

As a 20 year old rookie in the AHL he scored at a 20 goal pace for the season. Petan is on pace for 20 goals this season. Spacek is on pace for 13 goals as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL this season.

The narrative that Lowry has "stone hands" is bogus.
Lowry is a very underrated player. The notion that he should be on the 4th line is absurd IMO.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Lowry is a very underrated player. The notion that he should be on the 4th line is absurd IMO.
Well not right now with the roster that the Jets have. But if the Jets would manage to get one more skilled quality center, it would be really good to have three real scoring lines and then Lowry’s shutdown line. I think that would kind of make Lowry’s line a 4th line. But definitely not in all situations, as the shutdown line could need to play in some games very much against some more offensively skilled teams.

But really, does anyone seriously believe that Lowry is offensively a good third line center for a team that is supposed to be a real Stanley Cup contender? I would say definitely not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Board Bard

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well not right now with the roster that the Jets have. But if the Jets would manage to get one more skilled quality center, it would be really good to have three real scoring lines and then Lowry’s shutdown line. I think that would kind of make Lowry’s line a 4th line. But definitely not in all situations, as the shutdown line could need to play in some guys very much against some more offensively skilled teams.

But really, does anyone really believe that Lowry is offensively a good third line center for a team that is supposed to be a real Stanley Cup contender? I would say definitely not
I don't think Lowry is that much worse offensively than Bonino

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think Lowry is that much worse offensively than Bonino

The last 2 years:
Bonino - .43 ppg - 35 pt pace/82 gms
Lowry - .374 ppg - 31 pt pace/82 gms
Bonino isn't close to Lowry otherwise.
BTW, Lowry is on a 35 pt pace this year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The last 2 years:
Bonino - .43 ppg - 35 pt pace/82 gms
Lowry - .374 ppg - 31 pt pace/82 gms
Bonino isn't close to Lowry otherwise.
BTW, Lowry is on a 35 pt pace this year.
Ipp said that Lowry does not have the offense to be a third line center on a contender. Bon was the third on sc pitt. Hence Lowry is fine

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ipp said that Lowry does not have the offense to be a third line center on a contender. Bon was the third on sc pitt. Hence Lowry is fine

I've said this several times now but I think people should stop fantasizing about having a good 2C play on our 3rd line and go take a look at the guys actually playing 3C around the league. Lowry compares very well. Maybe just a little below average offensively but well above average on everything else.

If you look at those actually playing 3C you will probably be a lot more satisfied with Lowry.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Well, honestly even if the Jets have one of the better top sixes in the whole NHL, they still are a tier below the top six that the Pens had during their two Stanley Cup runs, especially the first line that the Jets have is not in the same
class as the Pens first line. And when we compare the power play’s then the Pens take even more clearly the lead.

I believe that to have a real chance of winning the cup the Jets would need one more of skilled playmaking capable centers, and preferably two, but at least one highly skilled defenceman to quarterback on the power play and also make the 5 on 5 play much more dynamic with the offensive play. Lowry is not any kind of an answer for this, but he could still definitely be a very important part of a Stanley Cup winning team if he plays the main shutdown role.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well, honestly even of the Jets have one of the better top sixes in the whole NHL, they still are a tier below the top six that the Pens had during their two Stanley Cup runs, especially the first line that the Jets have is not in the same
class as the Pens first line. And when we compare the power play’s then the Pens take even more clearly the lead.

I believe that to have a real chance of winning the cup the Jets would need one more of skilled playmaking capable centers, and preferably two, but at least one highly skilled defenceman to quarterback on the power play and also make the 5 on 5 play much more dynamic with the offensive play. Lowry is not any kind of an answer for this, but he could still definitely be a very important part of a Stanley Cup winning team if he plays the main shutdown role.
But we are much better defensively than those Pen teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad