GDT: Beware the Penguin, (@ Flames) October 25, 7 PM Sportsnet / RDR2 Release Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Obviously you don’t want to overreact to a loss like this, but I do find it alarming how the Flames played. Smith let in a really poor goal on Sid and as Gio said, it snowballed from there.

It’s a team effort and everyone needs to step it up, but Brodie and Smith really stood out to me that they struggled. I’d sit both of them for a game or two.
You’re kidding right? He was on ice for 2 goals against, one was the 2 on 1 which he played fine and the other was a good shot by Kessel. He had a few great plays on the boards, no giveaways and moved the puck well. Hanafin and Hamonic were pretty garbage, but Brodie and Stone were fairly solid IMO.

member 300185

If you know what it is, please inform the Flames. They look clueless
Its Fortnite. Players are playing until 4 and 5 in the morning and then have to get up in a few hours for the morning skate. There was a big article on it.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's crazy that such a crappy video game is so famous and addicting.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Its Fortnite. Players are playing until 4 and 5 in the morning and then have to get up in a few hours for the morning skate. There was a big article on it.

I was saying this last year before any article came out on the problem. I remember Gaudreau saying the word, that his team had camraderie around gaming and that game in particular. Many games last year looked like they had been up all night gaming, particular Monahan who had lengthy MIA stretches IMO.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

The day after and the sun rose, the dust settled, and the hockey hangover from last night is starting to dull. Today you will see many fans still twitching and angrily mashing their keyboards.

Fire Tre. Trade Brodie. We Need a goaltender.

The truth though underlies everything. The Flames started the game strong with possession slightly tilted in their favor. Then at 4:21 with Bennett draped all over Sid, Sid like he often does found a way to get off a shot from an impossible angle. The best backhand shot in the game went in short side giving the Pens a 1-0 lead. Smith should have had this shot but with the speed Sid possesses Smith was coiled against the post ready to move across leaving a tiny opening which Sid exploited. This was not where everything started to go wrong.

For the next 8 minutes the Flames traded opportunities with the Pens until Jankowski took a hooking call. The penalty kill was going pretty well for a minute when a high shot was released from the point with Pens players closing on the shooting lane. Honrqvist tipped the shot down and Smith tried to react but whiffed. The expression on Smith's face said it all. He knew he needed that one. He knew things could get ugly from this point.

The Flames from this point tightened up not wanting to make the next mistake. The Pens started controlling all play, smelling the blood in the water as they patiently waited for the Flames to break. Then in a fairly innocuous play and many will point to Hammer and him knowing he should take Rust but then backed off for the pass. THe real issues is in an uncharacteristically lazy manner Backs quit skating just as he was closing in on Rust. Hammer likely saw that and was going to take the pass. Then Hanafin for some reason did not collapse on the goal. With a juicy rebound Rust roofed it beating Smith. This goal is nail in the coffin. A second guessing Hamonic, a lazy back check by Backlund, and Hanafin out of position while Smith left a juicy rebound in the slot with Back focusing on the wrong player now. Smith still likely should have had the rebound but second guessed himself and instead of moving a little forward on the rebound he sat frozen.

So what was learned in this death by a thousand cuts?
  • Calgary has to play it's game no matter the circumstances because when they do they are very competitive.
  • Rittich needs to be the started while Smith solidifies his game and gets his confidence back. He is shaken and needs things to settle.
  • The Flames have got to stop worrying about the score in the game. Their largest issue right now is they want to respond to goals immediately and push to hard and take too many risks in doing so.
  • Today is another day and the loss yesterday was still for only 2 points in the standings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janks

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Backlund has his worst game as a Flame.

Anyone else notice that while Brodie was on the top pairing this team was great... since he’s moved off we’ve been absolutely worked... coincidence?

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Backlund has his worst game as a Flame.

Anyone else notice that while Brodie was on the top pairing this team was great... since he’s moved off we’ve been absolutely worked... coincidence?
But but but Brodie is awful. /s

It’s almost like that’s the risk with a PMD. He makes some phenomenal plays and has an occasional giveaway that ends up in our net. He’s a net positive to the team, and carries the puck more than anyone else other than Johnny.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You’re kidding right? He was on ice for 2 goals against, one was the 2 on 1 which he played fine and the other was a good shot by Kessel. He had a few great plays on the boards, no giveaways and moved the puck well. Hanafin and Hamonic were pretty garbage, but Brodie and Stone were fairly solid IMO.

I think collectively the entire team was garbage last night. I have issues that our topline got completely owned, Backlund was not good at all either, Frolik was invisible, ironically I’d say Hathaway was our best forward.

I think our entire defensive corps struggled. Maybe it’s just me, but I saw Brodie struggle a lot last night and he has for several games right now. I feel like he’s really fighting it, making bad passes and bad reads. And honestly Smith has been awful as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think collectively the entire team was garbage last night. I have issues that our topline got completely owned, Backlund was not good at all either, Frolik was invisible, ironically I’d say Hathaway was our best forward.

I think our entire defensive corps struggled. Maybe it’s just me, but I saw Brodie struggle a lot last night and he has for several games right now. I feel like he’s really fighting it, making bad passes and bad reads. And honestly Smith has been awful as well.

First part right, but Brodie didn't stick out in either direction last game. Sounds like a case of confirmation bias if you were already thinking it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
First part right, but Brodie didn't stick out in either direction last game. Sounds like a case of confirmation bias if you were already thinking it.

I won’t dismiss it. But I’ve been finding myself replaying goals or defensive breakdowns lately and often I’m finding Brodes on the ice. I have to say though, I did see Hanifin guilty of this on a few occasions last night as well.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yeah, idk wtf is wrong with our defense right now. It seems as time progresses, they've gotten significantly worse. Idk if it is them or the system, but this shit needs to be fixed asap.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Wait, wait, wait. Did OP curse us and predict the future by mentioning the launch of RDR2?

RDR2 - Red dead, redemption 2... days later.

So we obliterate Washington tomorrow!?

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I won’t dismiss it. But I’ve been finding myself replaying goals or defensive breakdowns lately and often I’m finding Brodes on the ice. I have to say though, I did see Hanifin guilty of this on a few occasions last night as well.

Brodie has the best 5v5 goals against rate among Dmen on the Flames at 2.15 goals against / 60 which is close to Giordano at 2.21 and Andersson at 2.45.

Worst among all skaters is Monahan at 4.56 goals against / 60
Worst defenseman is Stone at 3.44 goals against / 60 followed by Valimaki at 3.43 and Hanifin at 2.9

on the penalty kill, of the five guys to log double digit PK minutes, Brodie is close to Hanifin/Giordano in the top three, with Stone and Valimaki getting royally torched so far.

Hard to believe Valimaki's numbers could be so bad considering he was a scratch in the Pens game, but it is what it is.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Calculon

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
^ OKG that’s positive to hear for sure. Again I don’t dismiss potentially having a confirmation bias, I just feel like he’s either sticking out in a really good way or a bad way a lot of the time.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
^ OKG that’s positive to hear for sure. Again I don’t dismiss potentially having a confirmation bias, I just feel like he’s either sticking out in a really good way or a bad way a lot of the time.

When Brodie has a good 25 minute game no one notices, and some even want him gone because they hate him irrationally.
When Brodie has a bad shift everyone wants him gone.

So far this season, Brodie has had one bad game, @NYR. He's had one additional game where he's had individual gaffes that ended up in the back of the net, vsNSH. And he's had a few more games where he's been on the ice where the other team's top players have made great plays or he's been the lone man guarding the rush hoping for a save - vsPIT and @COL - where he could have been better, but wasn't necessarily to blame for the goals against.

But ask Flames fans and he's a sieve who singlehandedly tanks this team.

It's funny to me.

Reactions: Calculon

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

This man has good eyes and speak the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad