Bettman confirms interest in Vegas (UPD post 607: $450-500 MM fee?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
have they published the list? recognizable names?

regardless of whatever all of us opinionated goofballs outside of vegas have to say about this, I can imagine it must be a very exciting time to be a hockey fan in vegas right now. :)

It's pretty awesome. I've always wanted a team here since the days of the Las Vegas Thunder. I started getting really excited since the Bruckheimer/Penguins thing. That we're getting this close is just awesome. 2 Hours until I put my deposit in. :)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Despite my skepticism, a new franchise anywhere being a success would be for the best for everybody; regardless if that market's north or south, east or west.

While I still have my doubts about Vegas, I certainly wish this effort nothing but the best of luck and it's absolutely nice to see Vegas posters chiming in with their thoughts as well.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
While I still have my doubts about Vegas, I certainly wish this effort nothing but the best of luck and it's absolutely nice to see Vegas posters chiming in with their thoughts as well.

Seconded. I hope they go out there and make this work. Of course, having another rival close by will be fun for us too! :handclap:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Despite my skepticism, a new franchise anywhere being a success would be for the best for everybody; regardless if that market's north or south, east or west.

Ditto on those sentiments NFS. There are pluses & minuses to everything of course, and while certainly "out there" I for one am willing to suspend my disbelief & cynicism, have an open mind. On the plus side it does have a few things going for it, and as zyllyx states above, a closer rival for the Coyotes is positive as it will be for Anaheim & LA, Dallas, good for hockey in general throughout the Southwest. Entirely possible they combine Vegas with Quebec City, softening the shock a bit if you will or at least tempering it somewhat.

HamiltonFan

bettman's a Weasel
May 4, 2009
I did read the lease. No, the lease does not explicitly state that Les Alexander has the right to refuse another party from bringing in a NHL team; but if read the conditions in the lease, no owner in their right mind would agree to those terms.

Let's look at the terms.

The NHL team would get to pick dates to use the Toyota Center after the Rockets and anyother event that has reserved a date at least 9 months in advance. You do understand that most non Rocket events (WWE, Ringling Brothers, Disney on Ice, concerts, NCAA sporting events, Monster Trucks, etc.) are signed and dates reserved a year in advance? That means the NHL team would have to pick from a lot of bad days or undesirable times (i.e. plenty of Saturdays at noon).

The NHL owner also has to pay to purchase and maintain all the equipment necessary to host a hockey game. It has to pay Les Alexander every time the building has to be changed to hockey or to something else from hockey.

The hockey team gets to keep all the money from advertising it generates in the building, however, it cannot resell any permanent advertising installed by Alexander. Les Alexander owns the right to market and sell the suites in the Toyota Center. The hockey team can sell tickets to those suite holders, but if they don't buy tickets, the hockey team has no right to resell the suite.

In other words, the deal is slanted to Les Alexander to make it extremely undesirable for anyone else.

I can appreciate what you're saying, but I don't think these factors are as prohibitive to a 3rd party team as you're making them out to be.

Scheduling: if you look 9 months or so in advance at the toyota centre's current schedule, there's only a Motley Crue concert in september, nothing in october, and a single Billy Joel concert in november. 2 events in 3 months. So, essentially the nhl team chooses their dates after the Rockets, but there's still plenty of prime weekend dates left over for the nhl team. No real problem on the scheduling front.

What about changing the arena configuration before and after hockey games? Well, Les Alexander would have the same problem if he owned the nhl team. This is a standard issue for all nhl teams, not something that is unique to only a 3rd party wanting to bring an nhl team to Houston. In fact, most of the so called problems mentioned that a 3rd party would have are problems that would also exist for Alexander if he owned the nhl team. Sure, I'll give you that Alexander does have a small advantage as the entrenched NBA owner, but I don't think his advantage over a 3rd party is necessarily that overwhelming.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My honest opinion i think the league is stalling here to allow Seattle time to get their arena in order. If no seattle than NHL has an out as to why Vegas isn't getting a team.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
B9gx0JjIEAIJWCL.jpg

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Go get em, Vegas.

Would be pretty cool to see the NHL grab that market first and have a successful franchise there. Although the infinite gambling puns from the hack sportswriters in this league will be insufferable. :laugh:

NHL Hartford

Mar 16, 2008
Hartford, CT
www.facebook.com
My concern is that the 'Founding 75' will gather other elites to throw down cash and they'll eventually reach 10k but then once the first couple years pass those brought on board just to bring this to fruition will tail off and the ST base will drop back down well below 10,000.

They should have to find 10,000 within a certain time frame (72 hours - a week). If you have to do all this searching to find 10,000 the interest is not genuine. If the people in LV truly wanted it they would be stepping up individually vs. being herded by the LV elites.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The website has now been updated. Best of luck

https://www.vegaswantshockey.net/

Wonder if there is going to be a sales tracker similar to TNSE's drive to 13?

Also in the Las Vegas Sun article

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/feb/10/foley-confident-ticket-drive-will-show-las-vegas-w/

At vegaswantshockey.com, the number of potential season tickets buyers who gave contact information increased by 2,000 to 6,200 after the game. As of Monday, it’s at 10,000. Those are simply fans interested in receiving information

Hopefully a few more sign up, otherwise they're going to have a near 100% conversion on that number.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Go get em, Vegas.

Would be pretty cool to see the NHL grab that market first and have a successful franchise there. Although the infinite gambling puns from the hack sportswriters in this league will be insufferable. :laugh:

Over/under on David Shoalts writing that Vegas is a franchise that will come up craps? :laugh:

That's heartening, and color me surprised. :)

You gotta figure that it was a given that the suites would sell out fast given the circumstances.

I'm hoping they hit their STH mark and quickly.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Got my confirmation for my 4 seats (2 for me and 2 for a friend) at 1:30 pm today. I guess I was lucky as I got right in and had no delays. Keep in mind that if half of the 10,000 who signed up for info buy tickets, that's over 10,000 as most will buy at least 2 tickets.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That's the Black Knights to you!

As long as it's not something western I'm okay. We are not a western cowtown, why does every team here think we need to be western? Las Vegas Posse (CFL), Las Vegas Outlaws (XFL), Las Vegas Wranglers (ECHL.)

Enough with the western stuff. :)

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I just cant see how the initital owner buying in at that amount ever makes his money back, especially if the lease is what I picture it to be,

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
As long as it's not something western I'm okay. We are not a western cowtown, why does every team here think we need to be western? Las Vegas Posse (CFL), Las Vegas Outlaws (XFL), Las Vegas Wranglers (ECHL.)

Enough with the western stuff. :)

I was secretly hoping for the Las Vegas Thunderbirds or Falcons because of Nellis, to be honest.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Is it true that the amount down is only $150, with absolutely no commitment to actually buying the tickets?

I don't know how that compares to other ticket drives but it almost seems designed to produce the desired outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad