Bettman confirms interest in Vegas (UPD post 607: $450-500 MM fee?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ESPN: Expansion to Vegas worth the gamble

Some new info in this column just posted

Expansion to Vegas worth the gamble

The 20,000-seat facility will host boxing, UFC, other sporting events, top entertainers and awards shows. It's expected the arena will host 100 total events annually, even without an anchor tenant such as an NHL or NBA team, although the NHL is seen as the league most likely to make the move to Las Vegas given the league's overall franchise health. Multiple locker room facilities, dressing rooms and modern broadcast facilities that would meet the specifications of NHL broadcasters will also be part of the building plan. The arena is being built with an understanding of the local marketplace. Whereas the Staples Center in Los Angeles, home to the defending Stanley Cup champion Kings, has 150 suites that have been sold out since the building opened, the Las Vegas venue will have about a quarter that number because the corporate presence is not as strong in the city.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Since then, the talk has only ramped up. As recently as last week, it was suggested to me the NHL will, at some point in the very near future, bestow a conditional expansion franchise to an ownership group in Las Vegas. That is, if certain requirements (including selling a designated number of season tickets) are met, an NHL franchise could be operational in Vegas as early as the fall of 2016.

At least it's conditional.....

:facepalm:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Really interesting news. I figured we'd see a lot of signs before anything was announced. Going to keep an eye on the situation over the X-mas break.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Some new info in this column just posted

Expansion to Vegas worth the gamble

And what exactly is being said that any of a number of cities couldn't offer the NHL, just that the NHL would be the first major team to show up? THAT is the compelling argument?

World-class arena that does not rely on public funding to finance construction? Check.
Deep-pocketed owners that include a strong local presence? Check.
A marketplace that does not levy state income tax, hence making it an attractive place for players and their families? Check.
Growing population? Check.

Worth the gamble? I guess if you like to gamble with your money and not go for a more sure thing.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
At least it's conditional.....

:facepalm:

I'd reckon to say if the NHL gave a conditional expansion to Seattle, that things would really start to ramp up here, regardless, Expect movement in Seattle in regards to NHL coming in January.

What I hope to get is a NHL reporter catching an owner or two being candid about expansion. That is my biggest interest, not sure we will get much from Daly or Bettman.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It will be interesting to see if this just two hockey media members musing about an interesting topic before the BOG meetings or they have been tipped off so they can be ahead of the curve on a soon-to-be breaking story.

startainfection*

will people in quebec riot if vegas gets a team?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
It will be interesting to see if this just two hockey media members musing about an interesting topic before the BOG meetings or they have been tipped off so they can be ahead of the curve on a soon-to-be breaking story.

I think its more the former. But we should keep an eye on how these stories change following the mettings to vet what was said at them.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I was more convinced by the article where the Wranglers' guy gave his reasons for why it likely won't work. Burnside's piece is pretty fluffy to me.

I still don't see why being first in Vegas is even a thing to try to race towards. Maybe it is only in the NHL's eyes.

j1012

Dec 8, 2014
Just wondering in regards to Seattle, what ownership issues there are? I always assumed that multiple ownership groups are in play but it has always been about the lack of movement on the arena.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Just wondering in regards to Seattle, what ownership issues there are? I always assumed that multiple ownership groups are in play but it has always been about the lack of movement on the arena.

Yeah, there really are no ownership issues, The leader in the club house is Victor Coleman. He has a strong group, ties to the Northwest (Native of Vancouver I believe), and was involved with the meeting with Bettman/Daly/Lawyers in Seattle back in March.

The Arena is the key here.

DyerMaker66*

I was more convinced by the article where the Wranglers' guy gave his reasons for why it likely won't work. Burnside's piece is pretty fluffy to me.

I still don't see why being first in Vegas is even a thing to try to race towards. Maybe it is only in the NHL's eyes.

Take OKC for an example: With the population of the city and the NBA getting there first the NHL is shutout from that marketplace. Getting to Vegas first can mean the difference between excelling in that market or not having a team there at all.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yeah, there really are no ownership issues, The leader in the club house is Victor Coleman. He has a strong group, ties to the Northwest (Native of Vancouver I believe), and was involved with the meeting with Bettman/Daly/Lawyers in Seattle back in March.

The Arena is the key here.

Or maybe it's not :sarcasm:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Just trying to get up to speed there, to my understanding Hansen has filed the paperwork so the EIS should be done early in the new year. Is that pretty accurate?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Something to keep in mind for Las Vegas and being "the first"...

The NHL doesn't just have competition from the NBA. There are also plans pretty far along to try to attract a MLS team to Vegas. They just postponed a decision on whether the city would fund a new soccer stadium from dec. 1 to dec. 17 and MLS is currently deciding whether to add a team in Las Vegas, Minneapolis, or Sacramento.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Take OKC for an example: With the population of the city and the NBA getting there first the NHL is shutout from that marketplace. Getting to Vegas first can mean the difference between excelling in that market or not having a team there at all.

Everyone makes this point, yet everyone seems to never mention that the NBA had the chance because of a tragedy to test out the market for a whole 2 years. I don't think they are comparable.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
dunno, but personally I would prefer a relocation than expansion. Much better talent base to start with.

Sure that may be better for the fans. But the NHL isn't expanding for the fans. Its for the owners getting a fat payday. That's all its for.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Whatever the insiders may say, unless they want to spit on 400 million dollars extra. I dont see them expanding by just Las Vegas.

Because let's be honest. Seattle ain't ready in the near future.

So in my opinion, if there's an expansion without relocation. Quebec City will be included. Because honestly, are a few alignment headaches really worth more then 400 million dollars in expansion fees WITHOUT A PENNY GOING TO THE PLAYERS?

DyerMaker66*

Everyone makes this point, yet everyone seems to never mention that the NBA had the chance because of a tragedy to test out the market for a whole 2 years. I don't think they are comparable.

But that has nothing to do with the point that no one thinks OKC could support another professional sports team.

j1012

Dec 8, 2014

Just trying to get up to speed there, to my understanding Hansen has filed the paperwork so the EIS should be done early in the new year. Is that pretty accurate?

Early 2015, if approved then let the lawsuits begin.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Yes, the FEIS will be presented to the Council in January, they will hold 2 public hearings and make final determination. But if things look good when the final report comes out, I think we might start hearing things from the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad