Bettman and Daly Meet With Seattle Officials; #667 Coleman & Hansen working together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Not really. Howard Schultz never gave Seattle a chance. He deserves 100% of the blame. It is why Sportsradio KJR calls their annual sports turkey award the "Howard Schultz Sports Turkey of the Year."

That evil greedy jerk handed the team to the Okie liars out of spite.

The NBA and more directly that worm Stern knew all along where the Sonics were headed even before Schultz did. He can share his stupidity/blame with the NBA.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
FEIS delayed till next quarter. Looks like The tunnel mess is causing a few issues. Seesh 1 stupid pipe left in the ground has caused so much problems.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Wow. Another delay?

I guess it's best to cover all of the bases now as opposed to later, but it must be frustrating.

The tunnel has been a huge mess. First they hit the pipe that damaged the boring machine and that is still not even fixed yet. We are looking at 2016 or even 2017 when the tunnel gets completed. This is why the FEIS has been delayed a year.

Now the city is dealing with settling problems cause by that hole that is being made to get to the boring machine to fix it. This settling problem may end up causing the city to shut down the viaduct early causing massive traffic problems.

I have a feeling this settling issue is making the city taking more looks into traffic factors with the scenario of shutting the viaduct down early.

The FEIS was suppose to be out 2 weeks from now and everything was on track for that but something came up in the meantime.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
this arena in Seattle is never going to get built. Hanson and Coleman need to abandon SoDo. I'm sure there are other options they can avail themselves of... tearing down and replacing Key, for example, would be far simpler. And then there's the suburban option which is far from ideal but would get shovels in the ground fast enough.

Right now Seattle is on the verge of becoming a pipe dream for the NHL (especially if Paul Allen has another "hockey GOOD" turnabout when the expansion process gets rolling) and it's NBA prospects aren't much better.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
this arena in Seattle is never going to get built. Hanson and Coleman need to abandon SoDo. I'm sure there are other options they can avail themselves of... tearing down and replacing Key, for example, would be far simpler. And then there's the suburban option which is far from ideal but would get shovels in the ground fast enough.

Right now Seattle is on the verge of becoming a pipe dream for the NHL (especially if Paul Allen has another "hockey GOOD" turnabout when the expansion process gets rolling) and it's NBA prospects aren't much better.

Key arena will not work. Thats hundreds of millions of dollars more to the project nvm you get bill gates against it as it ruins the view and you also get those that will demand it be a historic landmark. Part of the FEIS will show why Key arena site will not work.

If you noticed that this is the only arena plan out there. There's been rumors of Bellevue arena but that will have to be 100% privately funded and The issue is you don't do a privately funded 500m arena and pay 400m for a team and expect it to pencil out.

If Hansen abandons sodo area then he'll walk way and we'll have NOTHING but start over from scratch in which it'll now be 100% privately funded with zero government support. if it was so easy to get a 100% privately funded built it would have happened by now.

Hansen/Coleman nor the city can not control what's going on with the tunnel project and the problems it has.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

I'm a Portlander required to hate Seattle... but that's a ridiculous stance. If the Big Bertha fiasco reaches Big Dig levels of spending, then we'll talk. Of course, short-term politically, it does delay the arena. Time isn't that much of the essence.

More to the point, given a couple things I read... this is a state project, but involves far more city money than Seattle had any business agreeing to. (Doesn't sound like they had much choice in the matter, though) The city didn't really want this tunnel; they've finally invested some money into transit, and once that gets optimized to the north (and possibly the east, but I'm not holding my breath there), they won't need the freeway tunnel in its current planned form. There are elements with the city that want to revert to an original boulevard plan, and that WILL impact any SoDo arena plan... but the city has to fight the state first. That will probably be a bigger mess than Big Bertha.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm a Portlander required to hate Seattle... but that's a ridiculous stance. If the Big Bertha fiasco reaches Big Dig levels of spending, then we'll talk. Of course, short-term politically, it does delay the arena. Time isn't that much of the essence.

More to the point, given a couple things I read... this is a state project, but involves far more city money than Seattle had any business agreeing to. (Doesn't sound like they had much choice in the matter, though) The city didn't really want this tunnel; they've finally invested some money into transit, and once that gets optimized to the north (and possibly the east, but I'm not holding my breath there), they won't need the freeway tunnel in its current planned form. There are elements with the city that want to revert to an original boulevard plan, and that WILL impact any SoDo arena plan... but the city has to fight the state first. That will probably be a bigger mess than Big Bertha.

No matter what they do it'll impact Sodo arena. Thanks to the tunnel semi-trucks have to go onto surface streets.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ed Murray Mayor of seattle has made a comment on the arena EIS slowdown via Chris Daniels

https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/556530491281928192
https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/556530726854995968

Chris Daniels @ChrisDaniels5 · 2h 2 hours ago
Seattle Mayor Ed Murray comments on the #SeattleArena EIS slowdown...."I have asked DPD to review EIS timeline..." (cont)

Chris Daniels @ChrisDaniels5 · 2h 2 hours ago
"and to bring greater transparency to..process surrounding..arena proposal, for all who have an interest in it." - Ed Murray #SeattleArena

I take this being good news that murray is pushing for more transparency and it sounds like he wants to the FEIS to get done and out.

Traffic projections will always change and keep changing. Even when the FEIS is out and complete traffic projections will change again. Its getting to the point of that its a moot point to keep revising traffic projections for the review.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Ballmer & Sinegal, two of the richest people on the planet would have bought the team. The minority Sonics owners wanted time to get a group together, but never had a chance.

There were a few other groups as well. Quebec City is Spokane, Seattle is one of the richest cities on the continent with over 4,000,000 people. Apples to raisins.

Let's be careful Seattle metro is 3.5 million which is a HUGE geographical area. It's from Tacoma to Everett. Honestly, I don't see anyone driving from Tacoma for games nor do I see people dealing with traffic across the bridges from Bellevue. At least on a regular basis. Heck, since the T Birds left Key Arena, I have been to exactly zero games but I have driven up to Everett a couple of times.

Even the disparity of people between Seattle and Quebec, I bet there are more fans of hockey in Quebec Metro than all of Washington State. Nevermind, Seattle is one of the most fair weather fans I have seen. If a new NHL team loses like typically most expansion teams do for awhile, no one will go.

PS Seattle does not make the top 10 in richest cities, not sure where you are coming up with that one either. I couldn't even find it on a top 17 list.

Last edited:

SharksFan1978

Mar 29, 2012
Let's be careful Seattle metro is 3.5 million which is a HUGE geographical area. It's from Tacoma to Everett. Honestly, I don't see anyone driving from Tacoma for games nor do I see people dealing with traffic across the bridges from Bellevue. At least on a regular basis. Heck, since the T Birds left Key Arena, I have been to exactly zero games but I have driven up to Everett a couple of times.

Even the disparity of people between Seattle and Quebec, I bet there are more fans of hockey in Quebec Metro than all of Washington State. Nevermind, Seattle is one of the most fair weather fans I have seen. If a new NHL team loses like typically most expansion teams do for awhile, no one will go.

PS Seattle does not make the top 10 in richest cities, not sure where you are coming up with that one either. I couldn't even find it on a top 17 list.

Hey 4Orr, without prying, which part of the PNW are you from exactly? I ask because I lived in Tacoma for almost a decade not too long ago and I don't quit get the same sense you do. I know it's a matter of opinions and all, but some of what you wrote surprised me. I'm not a fan of any of the Seattle teams, but I would say only the Mariners' fans are truly fair-weather fans. Hockey already has a rich tradition in Washington and there are hockey fans all up and down the I-5 corridor who would kill for a chance to see an NHL game in Seattle. Just think about how it's nearly impossible to get a ticket to a Canucks game, and that's the only option for most hockey fans in that area (unless you're insane like me and actually decide you're going to fly to Edmonton to see a game, like I did back in '04). Put a team in Seattle, and not only do you now have hockey fans throughout the state who will come to see games, but don't discount the number of Canadians who will come down to see a game just because now they have a second option to consider instead of it being Vancouver or bust. I would have made that drive up from Tacoma for sure if there had been a team around, and honestly, if they get a team, I'll make the trek all the way from Oregon! :laugh:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Hey 4Orr, without prying, which part of the PNW are you from exactly? I ask because I lived in Tacoma for almost a decade not too long ago and I don't quit get the same sense you do. I know it's a matter of opinions and all, but some of what you wrote surprised me. I'm not a fan of any of the Seattle teams, but I would say only the Mariners' fans are truly fair-weather fans. Hockey already has a rich tradition in Washington and there are hockey fans all up and down the I-5 corridor who would kill for a chance to see an NHL game in Seattle. Just think about how it's nearly impossible to get a ticket to a Canucks game, and that's the only option for most hockey fans in that area (unless you're insane like me and actually decide you're going to fly to Edmonton to see a game, like I did back in '04). Put a team in Seattle, and not only do you now have hockey fans throughout the state who will come to see games, but don't discount the number of Canadians who will come down to see a game just because now they have a second option to consider instead of it being Vancouver or bust. I would have made that drive up from Tacoma for sure if there had been a team around, and honestly, if they get a team, I'll make the trek all the way from Oregon! :laugh:
Been in Seattle for 20+ years now, played alot of puck in the region, so I know how much grassroots hockey there is. This is not a hockey town, not even close. 1 count it, 1 single hockey bar in Seattle and it opened 3 years ago, every hockey bar has failed in this town before this, think Jerseys in downtown. Even now the only hockey bar have moved away from the hockey all the time now, and have had to add music, etc, to stay open. Bars in Seattle will put golf on before they put hockey on the TV.

Seahawk fans were nonexistent before 2012 and no I will not argue this, I have been here, I saw how easy it was to get tickets before they started winning. All of the out of town transplants like myself that have lived here for a long time, laugh about the 12th Man stuff. When the Seahawks start losing again, the fans will leave just like they did for the Marineers and Sonics. If anything Seattle is a U Dub Football town, they are very loyal to the Huskies, I will give you that. Even the soccer sell outs are a slight of hand, it's mostly the Mexican population that goes, not the average fans.

What does the popularity of hockey in Vancouver have to do with Seattle or the I-5 corridor, The Canucks sell out because they are in Canada, Seattlettes are not driving to Vancouver to catch games. You could walk through Seattle as we speak, and not see a single Canucks sweater unless they are from Vancouver. I go to one game in Vanc. it's for the Bruins, my hometown team. I have no interest going all the time. It's a 3 hour drive from Seattle considering the border crossing, etc.. You think Canadians are going to drive to Seattle for mid week games? You think the average fan will drive up from Tacoma on a Tuesday? No way Jose.

A team in Seattle will turn out to be like Phoenix.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Been in Seattle for 20+ years now, played alot of puck in the region, so I know how much grassroots hockey there is. This is not a hockey town, not even close. 1 count it, 1 single hockey bar in Seattle and it opened 3 years ago, every hockey bar has failed in this town before this, think Jerseys in downtown. Even now the only hockey bar have moved away from the hockey all the time now, and have had to add music, etc, to stay open. Bars in Seattle will put golf on before they put hockey on the TV.

Seahawk fans were nonexistent before 2012 and no I will not argue this, I have been here, I saw how easy it was to get tickets before they started winning. All of the out of town transplants like myself that have lived here for a long time, laugh about the 12th Man stuff. When the Seahawks start losing again, the fans will leave just like they did for the Marineers and Sonics. If anything Seattle is a U Dub Football town, they are very loyal to the Huskies, I will give you that. Even the soccer sell outs are a slight of hand, it's mostly the Mexican population that goes, not the average fans.

What does the popularity of hockey in Vancouver have to do with Seattle or the I-5 corridor, The Canucks sell out because they are in Canada, Seattlettes are not driving to Vancouver to catch games. You could walk through Seattle as we speak, and not see a single Canucks sweater unless they are from Vancouver. I go to one game in Vanc. it's for the Bruins, my hometown team. I have no interest going all the time. It's a 3 hour drive from Seattle considering the border crossing, etc.. You think Canadians are going to drive to Seattle for mid week games? You think the average fan will drive up from Tacoma on a Tuesday? No way Jose.

One man's opinion. Do not agree that nhl would not succeed. I have been to a few bars just in my area with hockey playing on the TV. I know I would gladly drive any day to watch the NHL from 25 miles outside Seattle and I know others that would as well.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

This is pretty much my thoughts, but from a person who actually lives in Seattle.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
One man's opinion. Do not agree that nhl would not succeed. I have been to a few bars just in my area with hockey playing on the TV. I know I would gladly drive any day to watch the NHL from 25 miles outside Seattle and I know others that would as well.

You're the exception, seems you will go anywhere but the average person will not. Everett folk would drive down, it's easy for them. Seattle folk need to cross the bridges which is a total pain plus an added cost now with the tolls. Tacoma folk would do it on the weekends but I don't see anyone doing it during the week, what a pain that would be. 2 hr trip after work, than an hour back after the game. Ugh....

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

This paragraph is where you completely lost me. There's not enough of a Hispanic presence in Puget Sound to keep selling out Flounders games, and I know from making the trip way too many times that Hispanics are sadly a rare find at those games. The Seahawks have their laughers (it's a Navy region, of course there'll be detractors), but they've kept the place full since the 2006 Super Bowl loss. Meanwhile, Husky fans really did abandon the team over the last several years.

Seattle is a bandwagon town. The thing about that, though, is if the hockey is good, they'll show up.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
This paragraph is where you completely lost me. There's not enough of a Hispanic presence in Puget Sound to keep selling out Flounders games, and I know from making the trip way too many times that Hispanics are sadly a rare find at those games. The Seahawks have their laughers (it's a Navy region, of course there'll be detractors), but they've kept the place full since the 2006 Super Bowl loss. Meanwhile, Husky fans really did abandon the team over the last several years.

Seattle is a bandwagon town. The thing about that, though, is if the hockey is good, they'll show up.

Washington State is 11.7% Hispanic not including illegals. 11.7% equates to over 750,000 people. So, you're telling me, that is not a lot of people?

The one Sounders game I went to, it was easily over half Latino but that is one game and one time.

2006 is a push, but I could still find tickets readily everywhere. Since 2012, that has changed, tickets are fairly hard to find but I remember Safeco tickets being hard to find when the new stadium opened up too. I live close enough to U-Dub, in fact I can walk there in about 15 minutes, drive in under 5 minutes and bike it in 10; if there has been a drop in crowds, I haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad