Bettman and Daly Meet With Seattle Officials; #667 Coleman & Hansen working together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If they are iffy already than the tunnel mess is just another reason for opponents of the arena to influence even there is no connection. I hope you are right.

What's going on with the tunnel has nothing to do with the arena. That's between city and state.

You can't kill a sport project cause of problems of another project. opponents have no grounds to argue that.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
What's going on with the tunnel has nothing to do with the arena. That's between city and state.

You can't kill a sport protect cause of problems of another protect. opponents have no grounds to argue that.

"You should have been trying to overturn that agreement, instead you're spending X on viaduct cost overruns and Y on the arena!"

Theoretically, these projects have nothing to do with each other. In the surreal world of politics, are you kidding me?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
"You should have been trying to overturn that agreement, instead you're spending X on viaduct cost overruns and Y on the arena!"

Theoretically, these projects have nothing to do with each other. In the surreal world of politics, are you kidding me?

The two projects don't even use the same funding source.

The arena will use the arena revenue to pay back the public cost. The tunnel actually uses taxes to pay it off also via tolling of the tunnel.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think I will ever see an NHL team in Seattle in my lifetime. The M's might win an world series before the city sees the NBA or NHL.

Way too soon to know if the arena will get built or not. Getting the arena shovel ready is a huge thing especially to both leagues. Have some patience. Shovel ready may be the only thing the NBA is waiting on. Or yet perhaps we could get a NHL team out of it even though there is no approved funding a NHL first plan. Hard to say. But Good news is FEIS doc is due out in the coming weeks.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Way too soon to know if the arena will get built or not. Getting the arena shovel ready is a huge thing especially to both leagues. Have some patience. Shovel ready may be the only thing the NBA is waiting on. Or yet perhaps we could get a NHL team out of it even though there is no approved funding a NHL first plan. Hard to say. But Good news is FEIS doc is due out in the coming weeks.

Chicken and egg. Seattle won't build an arena unless its getting an NBA team. The NHL won't go there unless there is an arena. Seattle hasn't budged on building for hockey without the promise of an NBA team. Milwaukee and Golden State are the only teams with arena issues right now. Golden State isn't moving, they are in the of making a deal in San Francisco (I don't know where they are so I can't say) Milwaukee is trying to make a deal now. There is already $250 million in private money committed. Once that AND the new CBA are done the NBA will CONSIDER expansion.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Chicken and egg. Seattle won't build an arena unless its getting an NBA team. The NHL won't go there unless there is an arena. Seattle hasn't budged on building for hockey without the promise of an NBA team. Milwaukee and Golden State are the only teams with arena issues right now. Golden State isn't moving, they are in the of making a deal in San Francisco (I don't know where they are so I can't say) Milwaukee is trying to make a deal now. There is already $250 million in private money committed. Once that AND the new CBA are done the NBA will CONSIDER expansion.

Golden State's already committed to SF, aqib, just look at the Warriors site, and it should be by 2017.

Milwaukee's in the same position but an arena site is that priority first.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Golden State's already committed to SF, aqib, just look at the Warriors site, and it should be by 2017.

Milwaukee's in the same position but an arena site is that priority first.

Latest word is Milwaukee won't even have a site selected until end of January. They were to suppose to have one selected months ago.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Doesn't matter if there is 250m committed or not. The fact that they are asking for quite a bit of public funds and from 3 levels of government. And they still have not even proposed a funding plan yet never-mind actually picked a site.

Now with Seattle's arena ultimately its Hansen's call on what he wants to do. Only reason why it requires a NBA team cause that's the requirement in which public funds will be provided. Nothing stops from Hansen from going 100% private with the cost being split between him and coleman if he decides to go that route and builds it anyways and only the public cost kicking in when NBA team arrives.

We'll see what happens after the FEIS comes out and the arena becomes shovel ready. NBA has been iffy on seattle due to the fact our arena isn't still through the political process. Once it is things can change from both leagues.

Last edited:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Latest word is Milwaukee won't even have a site selected until end of January. They were to suppose to have one selected months ago.

The reason it hasn't been selected is because they were negotiating with Journal Communications. Talks were progressing and then Journal Communications flipped their stance almost forcing them to look elsewhere.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The reason it hasn't been selected is because they were negotiating with Journal Communications. Talks were progressing and then Journal Communications flipped their stance almost forcing them to look elsewhere.

Yea and they are running out of time if they want to meet that deadline. The League wants the issue resolved before CBA discussions get going as they don't want to be asking government for public money while trying to deal with the players union.

It would make the NBA look bad with them asking for public money for an arena after that huge tv deal increase during CBA talks.

Regardless of what happens, the sooner there is closure on rather there will or will not be a new arena for the bucks, the sooner we will know on what the NBA is going to do with Seattle.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/cra..._cid=InsiderTwitter_Custance_SeattleExpansion

Can someone with ESPN Insider access summarize what Custance has to say regarding his interview with Victor Coleman?

Not sure how many impressions I can give without getting in trouble?

These were the main points:

**Coleman/Glaser continues to work with the City/Hansen/NHL to make the SODO site happen.
**Other interested parties are still bouncing around potential other sites.
**NHL Is open to looking at other areas, would prefer SODO, but just want a very accessible spot (No repeat of Glendale)
**Coleman/Glaser not afraid of being 2nd expansion, they have long term vision. Does not feel the need to do ticket drive, their research shows Seattle would embrace Hockey
**Wants Community to be involved in naming rights of team.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
It isn't happening without Hansens NBA team, so lets just drop it for now.
What you need is a rich wannabee NHL owner who, in addition to paying for a relocated or expansion team, is willing and able to throw in a few hundred million dollars to...
  • Pay for what would otherwise be government handouts/subsidies. That would remove most of the government problem.
  • Apply that money to 50% ownership of of the arena similar to American Airlines Center which is owned 50/50 by the Dallas Stars (NHL) and Dallas Mavericks (NBA) and appears to work well. I don't think being a mere tenant would work.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What you need is a rich wannabee NHL owner who, in addition to paying for a relocated or expansion team, is willing and able to throw in a few hundred million dollars to...
  • Pay for what would otherwise be government handouts/subsidies. That would remove most of the government problem.
  • Apply that money to 50% ownership of of the arena similar to American Airlines Center which is owned 50/50 by the Dallas Stars (NHL) and Dallas Mavericks (NBA) and appears to work well. I don't think being a mere tenant would work.

Thats pretty much what I mean.

If the owner wants to pay for the arena themselves go for it. Hansen has been adamant he won't build one until he gets an NBA team, I'm sure he's ok with going 50/50 with an NHL team but he won't be making any deals until Silver throws him a bone. Which he should do soon.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
NHL wants seattle so they will wait till the arena situation gets straighten out. We'll probably know more on what is going to happen once the arena become shovel ready. Which could be the only the NBA is waiting on before they give us a team again.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Thats pretty much what I mean.

If the owner wants to pay for the arena themselves go for it. Hansen has been adamant he won't build one until he gets an NBA team, I'm sure he's ok with going 50/50 with an NHL team but he won't be making any deals until Silver throws him a bone. Which he should do soon.
A properly-managed 18,000 seat arena (i.e. not in Glendale) can easily get a bunch of extra dates with arena football, concerts, wrestling, trade shows, "them Idol shows that kids like" :p:, etc. I.e. it's not going to be empty 320 days a year if it has NHL and not NBA, especially in a major city like Seattle. It would be financially viable.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
NHL wants seattle so they will wait till the arena situation gets straighten out. We'll probably know more on what is going to happen once the arena become shovel ready. Which could be the only the NBA is waiting on before they give us a team again.

I don't think the NBA is waiting on that. The Sonics or w.e the new team would be called could play at Key Arena while the new arena is being built. It would only be for two seasons and Hansen seems like the NBAs version of Pegula, eager/committed billionaire who just wants to own a team and is willing to do so at any cost.

I could be wrong but I believe Hansen said he'd help pay for small improvements if the Key needed any.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think the NBA is waiting on that. The Sonics or w.e the new team would be called could play at Key Arena while the new arena is being built. It would only be for two seasons and Hansen seems like the NBAs version of Pegula, eager/committed billionaire who just wants to own a team and is willing to do so at any cost.

I could be wrong but I believe Hansen said he'd help pay for small improvements if the Key needed any.

NBA knew how difficult it is to get a new arena built in Seattle that's why the sonics left in the first place. They won't take seattle seriously until sodo arena is shovel read. They want the political part of it done.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
Hansen isn't the only rich guy in town & the Seattle arena is not the only prospective arena site.

The Seattle market is absent a first class arena for concerts and shows, plus the Rue-the-Day RSN is starving for winter content....

It is a large and growing market, even if Hansen walked away, someone else would come in and look long and hard. Someone creative will get it done whether through their own wallet, through the political system, or through another source, like say the Muckleshoots. Again, Tacoma Dome and Key Arena are not up to snuff for major concerts, let alone NHL. There is a large chunk of vacant land along a freeway in between the two...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad