Better GM? Toronto vs. Winnipeg

Better Job?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So Matthews is better because he scores more goals than Scheifele(regardless of the fact that he scores less points)...

But Ehlers scores many more goals and more points than Nylander and there about equal...?

But regardless what I’m saying is Lou is highly unlikely to be able to sign long term contracts as low as Chevaldayoff did on two similar players(who are currently in the same tier, with the Jets players being slightly better today or at least by the statistics), which is a huge advantage towards Chevy...
This coming offseason Nylander is set to become an RFA and will need a new contract no matter what. Who knows if Marner will sign an extension this summer because he will be eligible going into the last year of his ELC. However I say it's almost a guarantee that Matthews will sign an extension this summer before his ELC has finished.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Winnipeg still needs to win a playoff game before they can win a series.

Yes the Leafs still lost to Washington in the 1st round last year however that series ended 4-2, where as the Jets 2.0 1st round series against Anaheim in 2014 was a 4-0 sweep for the Ducks.
Wow, what an insightful analysis.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Obviously Lou has a great track record and is historically significant, but I think so far Chevy has done a better job in the time since Lou joined the Leafs.

I dunno, at least Lou's team has won a couple playoff games (and are equal in playoff appearances in half the time)

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I dunno, at least Lou's team has won a couple playoff games (and are equal in playoff appearances in half the time)

Lol this is your only argument... The Leafs lost to their playoff round with a nicer outing... Lets not forget this team was moved to Winnipeg for a reason, it was really bad(like worst in the league no talent bad), Chevy had to start from scratch with old vets and a horrible prospect pool.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Because Chevaldayoff was able to sign Scheifele and Ehlers for 6 million long term... Also to be fair Ehlers is better than Nylander so even if Nylander signed for 6m it would be of better value to the Jets because of that..
Imagine how embarrassed you will be if Chevy signs a far inferior player to Scheifele to a long term deal worth more than 6 million per season in the next year or so. He will be a terrible GM, according to you, if he does something that stupid, right?

Oh, hi Laine, here’s your 4 million dollar long term contract offer from the jets. Sorry, we can’t pay you 6 million because you are not even close to as good as Scheifele

Reactions: Voight

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chevy's big trade revisited...

2017/18, 5v5 points/60

Kane 1.66
Armia 2.15

Bogosian 0.20
Myers 0.60

Now add, Roslovic (a top prospect, looks outstanding with the Jets since his call-up) and Lemieux (about 1 point/game in the AHL)...

That trade is going to be more and more influential on the Jets' success in the future.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lol this is your only argument... The Leafs lost to their playoff round with a nicer outing... Lets not forget this team was moved to Winnipeg for a reason, it was really bad(like worst in the league no talent bad), Chevy had to start from scratch with old vets and a horrible prospect pool.
If you wanted things to be even or fair when comparing them both Toronto and Winnipeg both have 1 playoff series match up between them. Also when Lou was hired no one thought almost 2 year later the would have made the playoffs, because if you talk with any Leafs fans no one saw it happening last year.

Reactions: Voight

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
If you wanted things to be even or fair when comparing them both Toronto and Winnipeg both have 1 playoff series match up between them. Also when Lou was hired no one thought almost 2 year later the would have made the playoffs, because if you talk with any Leafs fans no one saw it happening last year.

Well in all honesty what happened last year was pretty lucky and relied on Tampa being an injured and battered team while they where the healthiest(on that subject the Jets where the most injured team in the league as well), but none the less GM’s can not make players or team seasons any less injury prone and even if you want to argue that what happened last season doesn’t make Lou the better GM because it’s not as if they won the cup, they lost in the first round to a team that are notorious for never showing up in the playoffs.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Winnipeg still needs to win a playoff game before they can win a series.

Yes the Leafs still lost to Washington in the 1st round last year however that series ended 4-2, where as the Jets 2.0 1st round series against Anaheim in 2014 was a 4-0 sweep for the Ducks.

and yet the leafs still got eliminated in the same round

I guess a couple wins is your consolation prize for losing a series in the same round

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
one also deliberately tanked while the other "attempted" to stay competitive through the entirety of the rebuild
Relax. The Jets have had a great roster for the past 3 seasons. They've just managed to shit the bed last few years. They weren't some low grade team that was building from scratch. You've had half your core in place for 3/4 years now. The only reason the Jets haven't been underachieving poops this year is because your goal-tending and defence isn't sucking ass as usual. If Helly comes back down to earth, the Jets aren't as good as they are right now.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Imagine how embarrassed you will be if Chevy signs a far inferior player to Scheifele to a long term deal worth more than 6 million per season in the next year or so. He will be a terrible GM, according to you, if he does something that stupid, right?

Oh, hi Laine, here’s your 4 million dollar long term contract offer from the jets. Sorry, we can’t pay you 6 million because you are not even close to as good as Scheifele

Again I’m not saying Matthews(or Laine) has to sign for 6 million I’m saying Chevy was able to sign two young exceptional players for extremely low salaries on long term deals.. Also Ehlers is currently inferior to Scheifele and is making the same amount of money as him so(and I mentioned him in my arguments) so your argument contains some cherrypicking. Laine is very likely to sign for higher than 6m but luckily Scheifele and Ehlers are signed for so cheap(for the talent they possess) that the team will have more room for better players and I highly doubt the combined salary between the guys I compared(Nylander and Matthews) will be in the realm of 12m(my guess is 16m or 17m) combined because it’s really hard to sign great young players for less than they are worth and I’m not taking anything away from Lou I’m just crediting Chevy for being able to do so with some players..

Reactions: Peggy

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Definitely the Leafs. Don't see the Jets having anywhere near the success the Leafs will have.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I said how they lost to Washington last year. The difference was compared to the Ducks and Jets series in 2014, the Leafs and Capitals series was a lot more competitive.

you're comparing a totally different team that is a product of a franchise they they couldn't keep in Atlanta

again competitive or not..the leafs lost I the first round. and if you wanna to get into semantics..the jets were in the lead most of that series despite being swept

the leafs still lost in the 1st round so it's a pretty weak argument

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Relax. The Jets have had a great roster for the past 3 seasons. They've just managed to **** the bed last few years. They weren't some low grade team that was building from scratch. You've had half your core in place for 3/4 years now. The only reason the Jets haven't been underachieving poops this year is because your goal-tending and defence isn't sucking ass as usual. If Helly comes back down to earth, the Jets aren't as good as they are right now.

you don't know what you're talking about
helley actually has regressed slightly since his start
the jets are actually playing better than they were at the beginning of the season

the jets still didn't have to deliberately tank to get where they were
they stayed true to the draft and develop

the jets got lucky getting laine. they didn't try to tank for a number 2 spot

no one likes it when teams purposely tanks it's bad for the sport

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad