Value of: Best offer for Tanev

Mar 26, 2010
I dunno....

the poster that offered JVR+1st+2nd

seems to be the best considering you can flip JVR at next years deadline most likely fetching a 1st or a very decent prospect

That "poster" is NOT the GM for Toronto. There is no way that Lou trades JVR for Tanev. JVR will be re-signed long term.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That "poster" is NOT the GM for Toronto. There is no way that Lou trades JVR for Tanev. JVR will be re-signed long term.

I would consider JVR for Tanev...i wouldn't add our 1st plus another pick as was suggested.

Mar 26, 2010
I would consider JVR for Tanev...i wouldn't add our 1st plus another pick as was suggested.

leafer, I know you are a huge fan of Tanev. Sorry I just do not see it. No way I give up a legit 1st line LW for him. In fact I would not offer anyone for him, he does nothing that impresses me...slow, injury prone and old.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
leafer, I know you are a huge fan of Tanev. Sorry I just do not see it. No way I give up a legit 1st line LW for him. In fact I would not offer anyone for him, he does nothing that impresses me...slow, injury prone and old.

You need to watch him play more. He doesn't have offensive skill, but his shut down D is approaching elite. The fact he doesn't do anything impressive is actually a good thing. He isn't flashy...but he's solid. His injury history is a concern, but if you ask me to pick a partner for Rielly (that may be available) Tanev is on the top of my list.

I watch a pile of hockey....i have watched Tanev alot. The things you are saying is the same things i was told when i was telling everyone that Andersen was on the top of my goalie target list....because i watched him play a bunch as well. I won't say something like "trust me"...it's just my opinion after watching Tanev play....especially after seeing partnered with Reilly.

Last edited:

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
The last Canucks Leafs trade (unless I'm forgetting something)....

September 4, 2002

Toronto Maple Leafs acquire
Brad Leeb

Vancouver Canucks acquire
rights to Tomas Mojzis

If it's been 15 years since the last trade I think that says these teams shouldn't be trading with each other. Vancouver should do what they always do and ask Buffalo and Florida if they want to trade Tanev to the East...

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
2 1sts from Toronto

Pass. This is a unique year in which the Leafs have a ton of cap space for next season. I am quite sure our D will be addressed. ...and while i would be okay with trading for Tanev....no way are the Leafs, 2 years into a rebuild, dealing 2 1sts.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Then you are showing your anti-leaf bias. Both offers our 1rst and Kapanen or our 1rst and Brown are worth more than that. This is a weak Draft, the Brown offer makes the most sense because he is a proven 20 goal scorer already. Add a first to that and I do not see how you can justify wanting a higher draft pick to pick a guy who projects as a 2nd liner, which Brown already is and we add a pick.

Nylander straight up? No? Didn't think so. (Subject has been beaten to death) Move along leafs fan :)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
See, now this becomes interesting. Here's a question when it comes to value on Tanev as you seem to be quite honest. Would you trade Horvat for Tanev? Taking into consideration age/projection and contract?

Obviously assuming you were in the Leafs position. ..needing D...and using Horvat instead of Nylander. Do you deal the high upside rookie for Tanev?

If I were the Leafs and moving Horvat (who is hypothetically on the Leafs instead of Nylander) for Tanev?

Ehhh...this one is as close to a push as it gets. Probably would. As a closeted Leafs fan, I think Tanev is exactly the type of player the Leafs need: an elite defensive presence. Gives them a much more balanced top-four. Would still have Matthews/Kadri down the middle, and I guess could just hold on to Bozak as well. Horvat is a pending RFA and will look to get paid. Tanev is cost-certain at least.

That would be for Horvat though. In reality, I (with the Canucks fan hat on) would be asking for Nylander. That's probably something the Leafs shouldn't do. Nylander is already a star and I think is quite likely going to be a 1st line calibre player for a long time.

Leafs need to find a way to convert their surplus of picks/prospects into a defenseman, without losing any of their elite young pieces. Like for Tanev, Kapanen + Dermott/1st might be something to work around. Gets me listening.

Or like consider sending a mega-offersheet Parayko's or Severson's way.

JonnyCanuck604

Oct 28, 2016
Lol, Horvat isn't even solid defensively, let alone good whereas Nylander has grown exponentially with his 2-way player over the year to the point he's been good->very good the last half of the season.

He was labelled as such coming out of London but hasn't done anything to warrant that in the NHL.

I also question his skill/talent level moving forward to be consistently productive- whereas with Nylander, his talent level is evident. With him, he is just tapping into his upside IMO.

Now its pointless to go off-topic but it needs to be said that William Nylander is not even remotely on the table for Tanev. Just like other fans would find it laughable if you talked about someone like say, Draisaitl for Tanev, Ehlers for Tanev, Barkov for Tanev, Slavin/Hanifin for Tanev. It's an absolutely ridiculous proposal.

just curious how many ppints came from Mathews and the pp. Have you actually see Bo play I highly doubt it.. And year one of the rebuild you are on crack. try year 10 aqt least.

JonnyCanuck604

Oct 28, 2016
just curious how many ppints came from Mathews and the pp. Have you actually see Bo play I highly doubt it.. And year one of the rebuild you are on crack. try year 10 aqt least.
so Nylander had 3 more goals then horvat was a minus player on a team that was top 10 in every category Like I said how many of his assist were the result of Mathews.

I like some of the leafs Austin Mitch Morgan JVR. they actually backcheck. Reilly a minus 20 tho ouch and you are gonna say you don't need a guy like Tanev on his line? you would have one of the best top pairings in the league.

Kapp = your 1st is more then fair. 20 goal scores are not that rare. Elite shutdown d are. Oh and btw besides this year he played in 70 games both seasons before about par for a top pairing D

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Kapp = your 1st is more then fair. 20 goal scores are not that rare. Elite shutdown d are. Oh and btw besides this year he played in 70 games both seasons before about par for a top pairing D

JonnyCanuck, this is the perception that some Leaf fans have of Tanev because they don't see what he does on a nightly basis. These potential trades have been beaten to death and the result is always the same...

Tanev is not worth anyone of value on the Leafs roster/Tanev is not a Top 2 D because he doesn't put up points.

JonnyCanuck604

Oct 28, 2016
JonnyCanuck, this is the perception that some Leaf fans have of Tanev because they don't see what he does on a nightly basis. These potential trades have been beaten to death and the result is always the same...

Tanev is not worth anyone of value on the Leafs roster/Tanev is not a Top 2 D because he doesn't put up points.
fair enough most leaf fans don't see what he brings =. aside from there 1st it wouldn't be a fit anyways since we don't need any more winger depth so scratch my kapp and 1st proposal. if the coyotes drop to 7th i wonder if Tanev and our 2nd would be enough to nab that pick if Timothy Liljegren were still around

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
And while Horvat can continue being a "two way center" (47.52CF%) in his third year, Nylander will be having fun driving possession (52.52CF%) in his rookie year.

Okay let's look at Horvat Teammates Baertchi was really his only good one and he played 60 games with him and them he played with a bunch of ahl players. Also horvat handles a lot more pressure than Nylander he has to create the offense and play against teams best players whIle his coach is an idiot giving sutter more time than anyone else. I like Nylander I wanted the canucks to pick him but 40 of his 61 point are on the pp while 13 of horvats 52 are on the pp. Also to the maple leafs fans saying he doesn't play well defensively if he had not played so well the canucks would have been god awful there would be times where to only time the canucks would get out of there zone would be when Horvats line was on.

Last edited:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Not really. He's getting better at the defensive aspects, but he's not there yet. Almost all of his value is related to offense and driving scoring opportunities.

He's still really bad at the PK too.

I'm a Canucks fan, and Horvat is really exciting, but realistically Nylander > Horvat

Never said Horvat was better, but plainly stating points doesn't fairly represent potential or skill.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
All this talk is making me feel like Phil Connors. You'd think the two fanbases would've arrived at a fair proposal at this point, but.. no.. they haven't.

It just ain't gonna happen. Tanev is not coming to Toronto. It's not happening.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
All this talk is making me feel like Phil Connors. You'd think the two fanbases would've arrived at a fair proposal at this point, but.. no.. they haven't.

It just ain't gonna happen. Tanev is not coming to Toronto. It's not happening.
Thankfully, we are not the GMs of our respective teams.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Pass. This is a unique year in which the Leafs have a ton of cap space for next season. I am quite sure our D will be addressed. ...and while i would be okay with trading for Tanev....no way are the Leafs, 2 years into a rebuild, dealing 2 1sts.

Completely disagree, our cup window is wide open already, we have about 11-13 years with our current core where we're going to be in contention and that 11-13 year window has already started to some extent, we see that already the Leafs are capable of keeping up with the best teams in the league despite:

1.Having non-peaked Matthews, Nylander, Marner and the rest of the rooks

2.Having a very mediocre defense

Getting Tanev would be a HUGE boost and what are we really hoping to turn those picks into? A 16ish pick in a weak draft and even if we fell out of the playoffs next year, there is no shot we're a bottom feeder, maybe 8-12 at worst, but even that is extremely pessimistic and not rightfully so because we have a lot of variance blockers in:

1.One of the three going off next year

2.Rielly having a bounceback year

3.Front office making great moves

4.Babcock coaching his way out of any issues

Now simultaneously, if we got Tanev, our D is pretty much adequate to the point it's in the 12-20 range in the NHL and with our top 3 offense and top 10 goaltending and we can really start pushing for the cup.

The reality is that at this point the sort of players that would be ideal:

1.We already have them in the big 3

2.We would LOVE to have a d man that develops into a Tanev player that is a top 2 D that is elite defensively

So no, we don't need more rookies and young players, we need proven talent and we need it now as it would only help us move closer to the cup

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Never said Horvat was better, but plainly stating points doesn't fairly represent potential or skill.

What was I unfairly representing?

I really like Horvat. He and Boeser are the only things going for the Canucks. But pointing out his flaws isn't unfair, it's reality.

Horvat is great. He still has more to give. But Nylander is probably better right now and has more long-term potential.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
so Nylander had 3 more goals then horvat was a minus player on a team that was top 10 in every category Like I said how many of his assist were the result of Mathews.

I like some of the leafs Austin Mitch Morgan JVR. they actually backcheck. Reilly a minus 20 tho ouch and you are gonna say you don't need a guy like Tanev on his line? you would have one of the best top pairings in the league.

oh btw he actually didn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad