WWE: Best Heel of the last 10 years?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Are you really a good heel if all you do is get heat and never put the babyface over? They never let anyone benefit at all from Stephanie's heat, so I can't say she's good.

She puts them over at WrestleMania, pal!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh God. SES Punk and 2008 Jericho was ****ing horrible. Don't get me wrong, they were fantastically booked but every time they came out I'd turn the channel because I knew they were going to blather on... and on... and on.... and on... and on.... and on... and on... (getting annoyed yet?) and on... and on.... and on... and on.... and on... and on... about the same **** they carried on for 5 minutes the previous week.

I couldn't stand them because it was like a damn chore listening to those guys. I wasn't entertained. I was sufficiently annoyed beyond my wits end. I stopped watching for several months because I couldn't take them anymore. I knew it was good but it was like making yourself drink something you knew was going to make you profusely vomit -but hey! It's good going down though!

Best heel in the last 10 years was Edge and Vickie together in my opinion. Vickie had a "Spirit Squad" level gimmick but the way she'd go "EXCUSE ME!!!" in that irritable, shrill voice almost reminds me of I see Rick Rude milk it when he'd say "What I'd like to have right now is..." and stop for about 10 second at a time

Honorable mention of best heel is Jericho in his most recent incarnation. I have NEVER been so sufficiently entertained by anyone like that since John Cena circa 2003

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Are you really a good heel if all you do is get heat and never put the babyface over? They never let anyone benefit at all from Stephanie's heat, so I can't say she's good.

Couldn't agree more. I would say Stephanie is arguably the worst heel we've had in the last 10 years because of this. The point of the heel is to put over the babyface and Lord knows it has never happened. For once... just once I'd like to see her get slimed on stage or humiliated by a secret camera.

She could learn a thing or two from her father in that regard. The Mr. McMahon character is one of the greatest heels of all time in my opinion.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I agree that Steph generally goes over and 99/100 that's true but it's unfair to say NEVER. She's taken a spear from Roman and a table bump from Seth at the last two Mania's.

Granted. She likely only does it to get vacation time.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Oh God. SES Punk and 2008 Jericho was ****ing horrible. Don't get me wrong, they were fantastically booked but every time they came out I'd turn the channel because I knew they were going to blather on... and on... and on.... and on... and on.... and on... and on... (getting annoyed yet?) and on... and on.... and on... and on.... and on... and on... about the same **** they carried on for 5 minutes the previous week.

I couldn't stand them because it was like a damn chore listening to those guys. I wasn't entertained. I was sufficiently annoyed beyond my wits end. I stopped watching for several months because I couldn't take them anymore. I knew it was good but it was like making yourself drink something you knew was going to make you profusely vomit -but hey! It's good going down though!

Best heel in the last 10 years was Edge and Vickie together in my opinion. Vickie had a "Spirit Squad" level gimmick but the way she'd go "EXCUSE ME!!!" in that irritable, shrill voice almost reminds me of I see Rick Rude milk it when he'd say "What I'd like to have right now is..." and stop for about 10 second at a time

Honorable mention of best heel is Jericho in his most recent incarnation. I have NEVER been so sufficiently entertained by anyone like that since John Cena circa 2003

This explains your hatred of the Miz

SES punk for me
Was absolutely fantastic
And as someone who was proud to be straight edge himself, even I was annoyed with it and wanted punk to get beat up :laugh:

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I stopped booing/hating heels when I was like 10, but I think the best in the last 10 years is CM Punk. Such a good heel that he turned Ryback into a temporary PPV draw.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The last heel that I truly hated and despised was JBL. God damn he was fantastic as WWE Champion. After that heels became bad ass and my favourite.

Edge is one of my all time favourites

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I would say Stephanie is arguably the worst heel we've had in the last 10 years because of this. The point of the heel is to put over the babyface and Lord knows it has never happened. For once... just once I'd like to see her get slimed on stage or humiliated by a secret camera.

She could learn a thing or two from her father in that regard. The Mr. McMahon character is one of the greatest heels of all time in my opinion.

Being annoying doesn't make you a great heel. Steph is channel changer to me.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ Agreed. That's why I think Punk was so good. He literally could frustrate you and his character was so great at being a heel. People appreciate the character now. They aren't being a dumb smark. They are just giving credit to the acting. Punk's SES drew boos and cheers because it was so good. His Royal Rumble performance that year was unreal that towards the end people cheered hard because his performance was so good.

Similar to a play. If the villain is just killing it, you believe the character but you cheer that person on at the end because the performance was so great. Or something like Ledger's Joker. It's so good that it's a fan favorite.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This explains your hatred of the Miz

SES punk for me
Was absolutely fantastic
And as someone who was proud to be straight edge himself, even I was annoyed with it and wanted punk to get beat up :laugh:

It is literally childish the way they acted, particularly Miz. I swear to God its like they all got together and watched footage of my older sister as I was growing up. It was the same annoying **** every day for 12 years and it continued until she was 20. Think about this a minute.... this was an adult woman nearly old enough to drink (21 in the USA) still acting like she did to me when she was 8!! Oh there was much more personal degradation and humiliation to go along with it and of course I put a stop to it. But no one is here to read about that. So needless to say I do not find that style of heel entertaining at all.

Wanna be a good heel? Find something better than whining like a petulant child every time you get a mic in your hand or declaring yourself holier than thou.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It is literally childish the way they acted, particularly Miz. I swear to God its like they all got together and watched footage of my older sister as I was growing up. It was the same annoying **** every day for 12 years and it continued until she was 20. Think about this a minute.... this was an adult woman nearly old enough to drink (21 in the USA) still acting like she did to me when she was 8!! Oh there was much more personal degradation and humiliation to go along with it and of course I put a stop to it. But no one is here to read about that. So needless to say I do not find that style of heel entertaining at all.

Wanna be a good heel? Find something better than whining like a petulant child every time you get a mic in your hand or declaring yourself holier than thou.

I bet you think Kevin Owens isn't annoying despite your last paragraph.

Jericho, Miz, Edge and Punk were four of the greatest heels of this generation that could legitimate heat and did their jobs of making their face counterparts better. Newsflash, heels are supposed to unlikable and irrational and whine when things don't go their way. They're supposed to cheat, they're supposed to get you angry. They're doing their jobs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

You realize that heels aren't supposed to entertain you, right?

They're supposed to make you hate them. Supposed to make you want to see them lose. They aren't supposed to be "cool" or entertaining. That's when they end up turning face, just like Jericho did in his most recent run with the company.

If a heel is more entertaining than the babyface, something is wrong. Either the heel isn't playing his/her role properly, or the babyface simply can't get over. The perfect example of a great heel in today's day and age is The Miz. People legitimately can't stand the guy, and he plays his role perfectly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Kevin Owens is a heel and he's more entertaining than 90% of the roster.

Well, let me re-word what I said about heels not entertaining you. They can at certain points. The Rock circa 2003 when he was "Hollywood Rock" was the most entertaining heel I've ever seen. But he was legitimately trying to garner heat against himself, too. That's something Owens does well.

However, the heels who are entertaining but not actively trying to garner heat or legitimize babyfaces simply aren't doing their job properly IMO.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
However, the heels who are entertaining but not actively trying to garner heat or legitimize babyfaces simply aren't doing their job properly IMO.

Indeed. The best example of this that I can recall is HHH in 2005 (maybe 2006) against Cena. Cena was of course getting poor face reactions at the time and HHH has reportedly ripped the company heels who had feuded with Cena (mainly Angle and some Jericho) for not doing their jobs and getting booed against Cena. HHH then tried to do it himself... for a week or so before he realized that he couldn't do it and switched to making sarcastic jokes at Cena's expense that elicited cheers from the mostly adult male audience. It wasn't until Edge feuded with Cena as the Rated R Superstar that someone got genuine heel reactions against Cena at that time.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I bet you think Kevin Owens isn't annoying despite your last paragraph.

Jericho, Miz, Edge and Punk were four of the greatest heels of this generation that could legitimate heat and did their jobs of making their face counterparts better. Newsflash, heels are supposed to unlikable and irrational and whine when things don't go their way. They're supposed to cheat, they're supposed to get you angry. They're doing their jobs.

Edge was phenomenal. KO is funny but has been garbage since the brand split. Agreed on Jericho but his recent run I think was best but 2008 was unbearable as was SES Punk. Miz is copy and paste but with a different name of the person he is addressing. I hate him in a "shut the hell up" way like I would my cat when she went into heat before I could get her spayed.

I appreciate heel work but I can only listen to the same lecture about why I am a hypocrite, how I lie to myself or something clever like gelatinous parasite so many times before I realize "oh we can skip this.... heard it a hundred times!" After 3 months I tune out.

Want heel work I can appreciate? Give me what Angle did, Undertaker both ministry and badass, Vince McMahon and John Cena.

I'm sorry but I am the type of person who needs it mixed up sometimes. Thus I can not and do not appreciate a guy like Miz being on cruise control with his whining.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You realize that heels aren't supposed to entertain you, right?

They're supposed to make you hate them. Supposed to make you want to see them lose. They aren't supposed to be "cool" or entertaining. That's when they end up turning face, just like Jericho did in his most recent run with the company.

If a heel is more entertaining than the babyface, something is wrong. Either the heel isn't playing his/her role properly, or the babyface simply can't get over. The perfect example of a great heel in today's day and age is The Miz. People legitimately can't stand the guy, and he plays his role perfectly.

Just how long would it take for you to knock me out if I waved my finger and said IIIMMMM NOT TOUCHING YOOOOUUUUU?

If thats all it takes to be a heel then the bar is not set high. Thats what a guy like Miz feels like to me

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
So you want cool or funny heels? Aka cool characters, not heels who make you hate them and want you to pay to see them get their ***** kicked? Okay got it.

That's the impression I get from you whenever you post about heels, or Miz not being one of the best tbh.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just how long would it take for you to knock me out if I waved my finger and said IIIMMMM NOT TOUCHING YOOOOUUUUU?

If thats all it takes to be a heel then the bar is not set high. Thats what a guy like Miz feels like to me

But... that's not what The Miz does?

I don't know how anyone can claim The Miz isn't a great heel. People legitimately want to see him get destroyed. He plays his role fantastically.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So you want cool or funny heels? Aka cool characters, not heels who make you hate them and want you to pay to see them get their ***** kicked? Okay got it.

That's the impression I get from you whenever you post about heels, or Miz not being one of the best tbh.

No one here enjoys Apollo Crews because he's bland as can be but somehow we are supposed to cheer for him because that's the right thing to do? Come on... Heel wise I'm just looking for better than "obnoxious d-bag" because I feel it to be lazy. You could come out dressed as a rubber chicken and I won't care. Just offer me substance and workmanship.

As a football fan many years ago several fans and I showed up to another fanbases message board and went to the "nothing is off limits smack talk forum"and I was banned I don't know how many times because I would say things like "I'm guessing the Carolina school system doesn't teach proper grammar do they? What exactly goes on there? Building mountain dew shrines to Dale Earnhardt Jr in shop class?"

CM Punk used to do stuff like that and I would appreciate it but I'd hate the redundant nature of his SES lectures. Redundancy becomes obnoxious after a point and that's why I cannot praise the SES beyond the first few weeks to months

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad